Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Replacing Coolant  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
  • City / Town: Rowley Regis
Replacing Coolant
« on: January 25, 2020, 06:11:31 PM »
I was wondering how often the coolant was to be replaced in our beloved machines, well apparently, it's every three years.

Although I do most of the servicing myself, and use Triumph approved items every time, how many of you lot use compatible items.
I will be using Triumph HD4X Hybrid OAT coolant, but was wondering how many owners use a different coolant, and what effects it would have on the engine.
Paul Wilko

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing Coolant
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 07:29:07 PM »
https://www.motul.com/mm/en/products/motocool-expert

This is what my local Triumph dealer uses in all bikes that go through their workshop, I did contact Triumph HQ and they said that it is indeed OK to use that particular coolant. :002:

I've seen that Motul stuff on the shelf at a few bike shops, I'll be using it just because it's easily available compared to the Triumph branded stuff.

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lowell, Or
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 07:45:49 PM »
I have been using the Zerex 05 (? I'd have to walk outside and look at the jug) I think for the last year.  It is a HOAT coolant and readily available.

No issues what so ever.
Year round rider here!

Offline Jeffb

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Columbus OH
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 09:39:25 PM »
#2 on Zerex G-05.  Manual calls for year-round HOAT.  Aluminum engines have become so common that an appropriate coolant isn't hard to find anymore.  Triumph does state that you should not drink it.

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lowell, Or
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 09:42:48 PM »
It does smell a bit tasty...
Year round rider here!

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
  • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 03:16:17 PM »
I am almost due for my 20,000 mile full service, so I stopped by the local Triumph Dealer, GO AZ in Scottsdale, Arizona to get a quote. When the subject came to replacing the coolant, I discovered that they only stock Honda and Kawasaki branded coolants, although they sell eight (!) motorcycle brands there. They agreed to let me provide my own coolant for the service.

Once I started researching the subject, I was amused to learn that there are specific formulations available for each U.S. Auto Manufacturer, as well as Asian and European formulations. Just about the time my migraine was setting in  :191:, I sent an inquiry to PEAK, the largest coolant Manufacturer provider in The States, and was impressed by their very quick response.

https://peakauto.com/products/antifreeze-and-cool/auto/peak-antifreeze-coolant-50-50/

A quick ride to the local Auto Parts store, and I have my $12 jug of coolant.  :002:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 03:17:50 PM by Saddle Tramp »
Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

Online digital

• Trophy Pro
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 05:20:09 PM »
For years I put this and no problem.

It is red and the liquid level in the expansion bottle is best seen.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline spl383

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 2013
  • City / Town: Carrollton/TX
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 10:55:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jeffb [+]
#2 on Zerex G-05.  Manual calls for year-round HOAT.  Aluminum engines have become so common that an appropriate coolant isn't hard to find anymore.  Triumph does state that you should not drink it.

also used zerex g-o5