Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: How to adjust the shift lever higher. ( I need to know how to)  (Read 316 times)

Offline Yellow jacket

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017Trophy/15Explore
  • City / Town: Portland, Ore.
How to adjust the shift lever higher. ( I need to know how to)
« on: February 12, 2020, 04:12:09 PM »
Has anyone adjusted their shift lever higher. I need to know so I don't have to pay the shop to do it for me. It really hard to get to. Thank you in advance.

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Re: How to adjust the shift lever higher. ( I need to know how to)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 05:45:25 PM »
https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,4697.msg59742.html#msg59742

for more info.

I've done this, but don't have any pics of the process, I'm on a Snowbird trip.  I do recall that the cover that blocks access to the shifter adjustment CAN be removed, with some difficulty, without pulling the entire fairing side off. 

Be sure and test for clearance and travel to allow shifting with boots, etc. and be sure to leave enough threads engaged for security...
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC

Online digital

• Trophy Pro
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 06:27:27 PM »
If you delay or advance the rod, it may be that the spring of the gear selector is somewhat tensioned and is forced.

You can try doing this another.

Once you do one thing or the other, what you would do is place the important screws and before you finish the job, go out and try the bike.

You must disassemble the cover shown in the following photo:

First remove the cover where the plug of the BMW lighter is, is under pressure, inserted between two rubber stops.

Then, remove the cover that has the two small Allen key screws.

Under the cover, you will find a screw with nut and subject to the subframe of the motorcycle. Remove this, plus the two tortx screws from above, below the footrest has another tortx screw. Total there are 3. Next to the left footrest you will also have to remove the Allen screw.

Once all the screws are removed, you will have access to the gear pedal.

Now take a closer look at the following photo:

As you can see! on the axis of the gear selector has a mark with a hole centered on the aluminum support of the gear pedal.

Well, now loosen the screw on the bracket and carefully remove the bracket. Re-enter the grooves of the gear selector shaft by delaying or advancing (now it is a matter of deciding whether to raise or lower the gear pedal a bit) one or two grooves down or up.

For you to see how it is done, I have allowed myself to show you the example of raising the gear pedal support two points with respect to the axis of the gear selector.

In the following photo you can see the support moved by two splines, with respect to the axis of the selector.

I would like to know why you want to raise the pedal? Doesn't the boot of the foot fit?
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline Yellow jacket

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017Trophy/15Explore
  • City / Town: Portland, Ore.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 08:17:53 PM »
I have an extra thick sole on my boots so I can reach the ground better. My boot sets heigher on the peg so I have to angle my foot way down to get under the shift lever.

Online digital

• Trophy Pro
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 08:41:10 PM »
I understand clearly...

I measure 1.63 cm, I changed the cranks to get to the ground better, since then, I take the suspensions to a helmet and a suitcase, when my lady comes with me, I put them in 2 helmets.

Whether I go alone or with the lady I get to the ground very well.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline AVI.INC

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hawthorne CA.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 09:11:42 PM »
I have the same thing with the boots i just removed the rubber from the footrest and good to go. :046:
I must be going too fast for too long evey time i get back i'm younger!!

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lowell, Or
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 07:40:17 PM »
When I installed my Knight pegs, I adjusted them (foot levers) too.  I did not remove any of those panels though.  A bit of patience and thin tools let me do it from the edges.  I adjusted mine about one 'tooth' as well as a slight adjustment on the adjusting rod with the nuts/jam nuts.  It was finicky and would probably have been easier if I had removed those panels though.
Year round rider here!