Top case lights by JerseyJeff
[Today at 09:09:35 PM]

Country of manufacture by Coconut
[Today at 09:01:52 PM]

Quarantine Maintenance by ZShyster
[Today at 06:50:32 PM]

Video Guide - Servicing the rear brake by tt1206
[Today at 05:16:05 PM]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: The Chinese and Indians are coming big time  (Read 2843 times)

Online Novocastrian

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
The Chinese and Indians are coming big time
« on: February 19, 2020, 09:33:52 PM »
I bought an AJS Modena scooter this week.  I've always wanted a scooter since I lusted after a Lambretta LI150 at 16.  They are made in China but at least the brand has a link to the golden age of British motorcycling.  Today, I went to the local bike shop and was amazed at the range of Chinese bikes on offer.  I've also been particularly impressed with the current range and quality of Royal Enfield bikes. I also picked up a copy of "On two wheels" and the coverage of Chinese bikes makes fascinating reading.  The prices are all very affordable.  I see Mahindra and Mahindra now own 100% of Peugeot Bikes (many made in India).

Where am I going with this?  Well, I remember the abject failure of the British motorcycle industry to compete with the Japanese in the 1970s (my heart lies with BSA and I still own 5 of them, but I've given up waiting for Mahindra to launch their BSA range - due in 2019!)

What I'm seeing is a hugely successful Chinese monopoly of small capacity bikes, along with Indian manufacturers ( or well known manufacturers who now have factories in India) making huge strides in bringing new innovations to the market and at remarkably low prices.   I fear for the future of Triumph once the Chinese start producing big bikes...I think their prices will be so competitive that only the traditionalists or buyers seeking top end quality will be sticking with the future Triumph range.

...and to be honest, if the Chinese or Indians came up with a big touring bike (I don't need all the bells and whistles of the Trophy) and at a competitive price, I would be sorely tempted.....
Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Trafalgar
Re: The Chinese and Indians are coming big time
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 01:11:56 AM »
  Ken, the latest copy of Australian Motorcycle News [Vol 69 No. 16] has an eight page article on future/coming Chinese big bikes. CF Moto CF1250, QianJiang/Benelli QJ1200, CF Moto MT800, Moto 700CL-X, Zongshen 650/850 Twins, Motrac 650Adventure and MV800 Cruiser, Jinan Jedi 750 and finally a Ranvor JY24000 Electric.
  Some interesting possibilities to fill the space of English [South East Asian Built] bikes. Even good old Mr. Bloor Has succumbed to getting certain Triumph models produced in South East Asia. He of course is just following other manufacturers in this regard.
  How many years ago was it that Korean cars started to infiltrate the market. A lot of people wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Now look at where they are in market penetration now.
  Yes we can all remember when "good old England" led the world in manufacturing, rolling stock, ships, cars and least I say it, motorcycles. Then what happened. Apathy set in. The unions wanted more say in how companies were run and pretty soon you said goodbye to what was a vibrant manufacturing base.
  Of course England blamed the Japanese for what was their own demise. As is the case with all failed ventures, blame someone else. I'm waiting to see what the "REAL" cause/answer to the new Norton's collapse will be. Was Stuart Garner really that incompetent, or were his accountants to blame. Then again it eventually falls back on the man steering the ship that has to shoulder all the problems.
   I just think it's pretty poor to be accepting not only deposits, but in some cases, full payment for a bike and then just default on the deal leaving the customer stranded. I'm sure that he [Stuart Garner] spends a fair bit of time looking over his shoulder to see who's following him. But I also bet he sleeps well at night, because it hasn't been his fault.
  I'm very happy that I didn't follow up on my original desire to put a deposit down for one of his new Norton's. When I was a little bit younger I managed a bike dealership in Melbourne that were Harley Davidson, Norton and the Australian distributor of Dunstall gear. The Harley's were crap at that time being under the realm of AMF, the large conglomerate only interested in Harley's shares, whilst the Norton's were great. I can look back fondly at the many kilometres  I put on Interstates at the time.
   Anyway enough of my winging, I should be happy with what I rest my bum on at this time. A great long distance bike such as the Trophy. Comfortable, economic, in my opinion, good looking and above all else, again in my opinion, problem free. I hope I haven't spoken too soon. With over 70,000 kilometres on the dial mine has been exactly that.
  Wishing you all safe and fun filled riding. Cheers.  :821: :158:
HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 07:50:15 AM »
I don't know which Chinese make and model the young lad at my local motorcycle shop has but he said that many parts like the chain and sprockets for example are far inferior compared to the Suzuki 125 he owned previously.
Yeah, parts are cheaper to buy but he's fed up with having to replace stuff sooner than later he said.

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Trafalgar
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 11:38:40 PM »
Earthman I agree with you re quality of certain parts. If you look up Itchy Boots on You Tube you will see that this young lady is riding a Royal Enfield Himalayan round the world. One of the problems she faces is the poorer quality of Indian bearings, wheel, headstem etc. She has to replace them on a more frequent basis than you would expect. It's only when the "parent" [example, Triumph made in Thailand models] company can specify a particular quality that this problem can be addressed.  :821: :028:
HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 07:03:14 AM »
Thanks HACKLE, I have watched a couple of her videos, not seen those ones though.

So this is how/why the Chinese bikes can have a lower price tag at the end of the day I guess.

Offline Guitarman

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Phantom Black TTSE
  • City / Town: Inverness
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 10:57:57 AM »
I remember when I started getting interested in bikes in the early 70's and we would go up to Glasgow at the weekends and tour the bike shops dreaming of our own bikes, some of us started out with Bantam's & Tiger cub's and spent more time trying to get them going than actually on the road as a result most of us ended up with Japanese bikes for the reliability and performance and then the plethora of models and engines being produced by the Japs just left the British bikes standing still.