Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Eastern Canada Trip Advice  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Simons Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Eastern Canada Trip Advice
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:11:27 am »
Hi Everyone, just after some US/Canada travel advice.
Last year my wife and I toured the Canadian Rockies and Yellowstone. We could only get a Harley but it was the most awesome trip of our lives, loved every minute.

Anyway because we had such a great time there we are now looking at touring from San Fran to Denver via Taho and Yosemite then flying to New York and touring Eastern Canada maybe up to Breten Island then across to Quebec and down to Chicago.

Any info on routes to take or do not miss roads and scenery would be much appreciated.

Thanks Simon
Simon

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline afterburner

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 triumph trophy
  • City / Town: long beach, ca
Re: Eastern Canada Trip Advice
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 07:03:57 pm »
Yosemite is on fire right now. You need to check the park website to check conditions and access. If you can make it to the park, besides the valley, you need to make it up to Glacier Point. Also if you can, you need to ride the Tioga Pass to the East gate of the park.
If the park is closed, you might consider Sequioa National park, just a few hours south of yosemite. Keep in mind, the central California weather this time of year is very hot.
When you get to chicago, you need to sample deep dish pan pizza at either Gino's East or Lou Malnati's with beeyah, as you Aussies call it. Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:56:21 pm by afterburner »

Offline Simons Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 01:58:57 pm »
Thanks very much for the info guys. Sorry to hear about that fire in Yosemite I hope it gets under control.
We are looking at being there about this time next year.
We also have lots of wildlife in Aus but most of the time they only come out at dusk and night time, very well trained.
Yours on the otherhand don't as we found out last trip. Didn't hit anything but I didn't see the 4 deer heading toward the road my wife was telling me about as I overtook some cars upsetting my rhythm. Thank god the noise of the bike scared them off a bit. Slower trip after that.

Doesn't anyone ride the East coast of Canada? Yes I will put down pizza and a beeyah in Chicago on the itinerary.

Thanks again appreciate it.
Simon
Simon

Offline rickmorcom

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 TTSE
  • City / Town: New Brunswick
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 12:37:37 am »
Hi Simon,
I live in New Brunswick, though have only been here a relatively short time, and on a touring bike even shorter. But there are many beautiful spots for touring. Nova Scotia, and Cape Breton in particular are wonderful, as is PEI (Prince Edward Island). There are many spots in New Brunswick - especially up and down the Fundy Coast (which is where I live), although the road surfaces are not always the best. We get a lot of snow, a lot of frost heaves, and the tarmac takes a terrific beating from the whole freeze/melt/freeze/melt cycle. But in general, the roads are clear and open, the traffic is very manageable, and people (including most car drivers) are friendly and courteous. I have not been there, but a couple of my friends have done a number of bike tours through Newfoundland, and absolutely love it - Gros Morne park being their favourite spot. Another favourite bike tour is around the Gaspe penisula, taking the ferry to Isle de Magdalen, and back to PEI .Finally, I just bought a book called "Motorcycle journeys through Atlantic Canada" by Rannie Gillis and Ken Aiken, and it has many great ideas for day and multi-day trips. Over the next few years I hope to become more acquainted with this lovely part of the world.

Best wishes for a great trip! Rick

Offline Simons Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 06:45:02 am »
Thanks for those suggestions Rick I will have a look at all that. Might check out that book as well.

Simon
Simon

tweedy-bunch