Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Maintenance blues.  (Read 563 times)

Offline Jonesin

• Trophy Member
  • Canadian Biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fort McMurray
Maintenance blues.
« on: February 28, 2020, 08:48:16 AM »
So, I just got my TTSE back from having some work done at a Triumph dealer 500 km south of where I live (Unfortunately the closest shop). Only to find 2 missing torx screws, and a stripped retaining nut when I started removing the bodywork for some maintenance/work of my own. (Adding R&G bars, changing air filter, spark plugs, etc).

The kicker? When I emailed my shop about it, the service manager I was speaking with told me that there was no way that the missing screws could have been from them, as one of them (behind the right turn signal) was never removed  -To remove the right hand fairing-

I sent him this video, at this time stamp, and asked if he could explain how the fairing was removed without removing the right side turn signal...

No response so far.

On one hand I try to avoid talking smack about dealerships, on the other, there is a damn good reason I only trust the work I do myself.  :172:
1984 Honda Shadow 500, bought it in boxes, tinkered with her for 2 years from age 14-16
2002 Suzuki
2014 Yamaha Bolt
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

Online digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
Re: Maintenance blues.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 09:25:04 AM »
Unfortunately for my work I find almost daily with things like that. "They never touch anything" I know that according to what things, you just don't break down if you don't touch them.

You know that everything you can do on your own, you will do it and if you need help, you are in the best place. Here there are very prepared and knowledgeable people of the Trophy.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline Guitarman

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Phantom Black TTSE
  • City / Town: Inverness
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 10:42:07 AM »
Hi Jonesin I have also discovered missing bolts on my Trophy when I first stripped the fairing sections off and recently found that on the throttle heated grip one of the wires had been trapped between the end of the bar and the end weight. When I bought the bike there was only 2000 miles on the clock and it was just under 3 years old so I am assuming that the missing bolts and badly installed heated grips were down to the dealer as they were listed on the initial purchase, I approached the dealer for an estimate for a 20K service and the initial response from them did not include the full requirements as listed by Triumph I ended up doing the service myself as I know it will be done as good as I can carry it out and no hidden issues from poor workmanship.

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 12:35:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Guitarman [+]
I ended up doing the service myself as I know it will be done as good as I can carry it out and no hidden issues from poor workmanship.

I've taken that view for many many years now, never taken a car or bike to a garage for servicing or repair. :002:

Online LarryJa

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Cedarbrook, NJ
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 01:19:10 PM »
I am usually disappointed when I have vehicle maintenance or repairs done by others. Too often, I find the work that I paid for is not done to the standards that I would have done it to myself. So, personally, I only have done, professionally, tasks that I will not do myself. That approach has served me well for the last 50yrs.
I'm typically encouraged because this attitude seems to be so common on this group's forums.
A good man once told me, "Don't sell your bike. It's your soul."....

Offline Jonesin

• Trophy Member
  • Canadian Biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fort McMurray
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 02:33:21 AM »
For a living I am a photocopier tech. So I am completely comfortable dealing with electrical issues or with mechanical ones. I have zero tolerance though for having someone lie directly to me. Now since the guy who told me this is only the service manager, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt this once that it was his service guy that was full of sh#t, but time will tell.

Regardless, I dearly love this bike, and she will be in my stable for many years to come.
1984 Honda Shadow 500, bought it in boxes, tinkered with her for 2 years from age 14-16
2002 Suzuki
2014 Yamaha Bolt
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

Online digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 08:08:30 AM »
When a person lies as he has done with you. I think they use that argument because they think we are ignorant and that by not understanding the mechanic's profession. You will believe everything that person tells you.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
  • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 05:02:03 PM »
I agree that it is difficult to find a mechanic that can be trusted these days, but it is just wrong to contend that they are all bad.

I will give an example. My Trophy is currently in for its 20,000 mile Service at GO AZ in Scottsdale, Arizona. I have worked with the same Triumph Tech, James, since I bought my Trophy new in October 2018. We have an excellent rapport, and he clearly is knowledgeable on the Trophy. When I mentioned that the engine top end was getting noisy on startup, and the Cam Chain tension needed adjustment with the Factory Tool, his response was that in his experience, adjusting the tension was just a bandaid cure by Triumph to try to get added life from the tensioner to survive the warranty period. Sure enough, when he checked further, it became clear that the assembly needed replacement. Although Triumph required documentation on the 10k Service that I had performed on my own, they did ultimately approve the replacement, and the parts are on there way.  :028:
Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

tweedy-bunch