Top case lights by Coconut
[Today at 09:28:42 PM]

Country of manufacture by Coconut
[Today at 09:01:52 PM]

Quarantine Maintenance by ZShyster
[Today at 06:50:32 PM]

Video Guide - Servicing the rear brake by tt1206
[Today at 05:16:05 PM]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Should I trade in my Trophy for a Tiger XRT  (Read 1048 times)

Offline trophy4me

• Trophy Pro
  • ride safe (Harley, Dylan, Milo.)
    • View Profile
  • Bike: triumph trophy SE
  • City / Town: grimsby
Should I trade in my Trophy for a Tiger XRT
« on: February 28, 2020, 12:45:18 PM »
Hey
Had my Trophy from new 2013 looking at the new Triumph XRT lovely bike but a little voice in my head is saying donít because how  good my Trophy is, i like a bike like a Swiss Army knife music etc I currently use autocom for music, satnav etc I have tried Bluetooth devises but with limited battery life Iím not sure mine you that was 7 years ago, have they improved ?
And only getting £4700 trade in should I just keep running what is and has been on the whole a very good bike
Look forward to your thoughts
trophy4me (Andy)

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
Re: Should I trade in my Trophy for a Tiger XRT
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 02:33:31 PM »
I recently purchased a 2016 XR from a friend.  The bike is like new, just 14,000 miles.  It is fun to ride but no where near as comfortable as the Trophy. I like long distance riding and I'll only use the Trophy for that.  Glad I did not sell it.

I know you can do long trips on the XR but it does not have the wind protection, tank range and quality of ride that the Trophy does.

So, it depends on the type of riding you do.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 02:56:00 PM »
Regarding bluetooth, my over 2 year old Sena 20S EVO went 9-1/2 hours on a full charge last week before the low battery warning, with audio running probably 8 hours at least of that 9-1/2, and several phone calls to my wife.  I turned it off about 1/2 hour from home so I could have it for a phone call in case of an emergency, as there is still enough life in one for a call or two before after the low battery warning, and once the Sena shuts itself off there is still enough reserve to turn it on and make at least one short call.  The Sena SMH10, 20S, 20S EVO, and the new 50K unit can all be charged while using, so a 4000 Mah powerbank in an upper jacket pocket with a short USB to Micro cable could power it for 6 days based on the Sena's battery rating.   I'm even looking at replacing the battery in it per some DIY videos with a higher rated battery to get more time on it without requiring a connection to an outside source.  Several higher rated batteries that will just barely fit and have been used in that exact unit and have gotten great reviews.   The only bluetooth issues I ever had was with an Iphone and SMH10, and after a new 20S EVO Apple finally admitted, after a half dozen responses from a supervisor, that their update had caused a bug with the bluetooth capability but they didn't have an engineering fix for it at the moment and may not have one until the next update.  With a trip coming up in less than a week and my phone unable to operate even with a second NEW Sena 20S EVO (Sena declared from troubleshooting that my first 20S EVO was faulty, but found not to be the case), I ditched Apple and haven't had a problem since.  Others may differ, but a lot of riders on another forum had the exact same issues with Iphones at the time and loved Apple so much they muddled through until it was eventually fixed.  Other systems also may work well, I'm just familiar with Sena's.  Both of my 7 year old SHM10's, one of which has had a lot more use than the other, still work well and neither have ever had a battery replaced btw.  Hope this helps.  My opinion (only), KEEP THE TROPHY! :821:
Ride Safe,
Glenn
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
  • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 03:04:50 PM »
I have no problem keeping my four wheeled vehicles for 10-12 years, but somehow I have never kept a motorcycle for more than six, so I am probably the wrong guy to respond.  :155:

It all depends what you want to use your new bike for. As previously mentioned, if the bulk of your riding is of the longer distance, highway miles type, the Trophy is clearly the better choice. If your rides tend to be of shorter duration, or if you plan to do some dirt or gravel riding, then the XRT is a better choice. Plus, none of us is getting any younger, so perhaps the lighter weight of the XRT is a factor as well...
Ultimately, you should make your decision based on how you feel, and not weigh our opinions too heavily. I assume that you have test ridden the XRT? If not, I would definitely do so before making any decision.  :821:
Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

Offline trophy4me

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 08:11:24 PM »
Thank you Trophied

I was on the fence the Trophy is a great bike I donít know what I was thinking  :087:Iím keeping it
trophy4me (Andy)

Offline Ray_B

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 SE (ex '13 SE)
  • City / Town: Central New Jersey
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 06:45:02 PM »
I swapped my 13 Trophy for a 19 Tiger XRT last year. The 19 XRT is an excellent Adventure bike but that comes with trade-offs compared to the Trophy.

1st, the XRT is nowhere near as comfortable on long trips as the Trophy. I can ride the Trophy 400+ miles over multiple days and get off with no soreness (I'm 73). The XRT is more fun for the 1 day rides but I'm sore at the end of the day.

2nd issue for me is the 19 inch XRT front wheel. The bike's geometry is different than the Trophy and in the same curves that the Trophy handled beautifully at speed, the XRT front wheel slips (plows) causing sphincter crunches.

3rd petty difference is the windscreen operation. Instead of a discreet switch to raise/lower, you have to scroll thru the display to access the function.

I totaled my XRT (and a deer) last spring and went back to a 15 Trophy because I was heading out for a multi-week trip and wanted the comfort.

The bottom line is if you want comfort and handling on the street with great weather protection, the Trophy wins. If you want off-road option, the XRT is the way to go.
Ray

Offline trophy4me

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 07:40:08 PM »
Hi Ray_B

Thank you for your response I donít know
What I was thinking the Trophy is a great bike
Iím not selling it

Thank you

Regards
Andy
trophy4me (Andy)

Offline blkvsn

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hillsboro OR
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 04:31:38 AM »
I'll just stir the pot here a little after the fact. I have a 2018 XRt that I bought new in fall of 2018 and a 2013 Trophy I picked up last fall. They are quite different bikes however similar the drivetrains are. But don't sell the Tiger short as a touring bike. I've put a lot more miles on the Tiger than the Trophy but I find the Tiger at least as comfortable if not more comfortable than the Trophy. Everyone is different. If Ray B was riding on the stock seat, I can understand him not finding the Tiger comfortable day after day. I had a custom seat made for mine and it made a world of difference. The stocker was a 100-200 mile seat. My custom seat from Mr. Ed's Moto in Albany OR is a 500 mile day seat. I did a six week, 8300 mile trip last summer. 13 states and 2 Canadian provinces. Sea level to 14,000 ft and back. I spent some time with family back in the Midwest so there was a week I didn't ride every day, but the rest of the trip I literally rode the bike every day. Numerous 300 mile days. 440 and 510 mile days back to back across part of MT, ND, Minn, and just into WI. I agree that the Trophy gets better fuel mileage and much better range. Wind protection on the Trophy is great but I actually think the stock touring windscreen on the Tiger is better. The Trophy is heavier but carries the weight lower and the only place I notice the weight is in the front end when I go from the Tiger to the Trophy. The suspension on the Trophy is good but the Tiger is better for rough roads, which there are a lot of across the country, believe me. They are both great bikes and I don't you can go wrong with either one. I love both of them and plan to ride them into the ground. Keep the rubber side down.  :001: