Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Garmin 550 mounted on A9828011 blocks view of info display!  (Read 5519 times)

Offline petetatt

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose
Garmin 550 mounted on A9828011 blocks view of info display!
« on: August 14, 2013, 07:10:59 AM »
So, when i mounted my Garmin 550 onto the Triumph GPS mount (A9828011), i found it covered up the top third or so of the info display. I can't see the gear indicator, clock, temperature indicator, plus the top of the fuel and water temp gauges plus the top of the central info display area. Crud.

So, thought i'd lift it up a bit using a ram mount. Used the RAM-B-346 (plate designed to fit on the brake/clutch reservoir with an offset ball) and the short socket arm (about 2.5" long).
The good news is i can now see the display ... the bad news is it all bounces around like a bobble-head.
The mounting point for the A9828011 behind the instrument panel doesn't seem man enough for the weight of the GPS when it's stuck out on a 2.5" limb.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Has anyone devised a clever solution?

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Garmin 550 mounted on A9828011 blocks view of info display!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 09:21:01 AM »
The bracket was designed for use with the Zumo 660, which fits a treat.

On another thread, another 550 owner suggested using just two of the four mounting holes,
and positioning it so that the bottom two holes of the 550 are connected into the top 2 holes of the bracket,
which effectively raises the height enough to clear the Instrument display, and still seems secure enough.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 12:36:46 PM »
Yes, I recall that thread. I think it required some minor enlarging of the holes to get things lined up.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline petetatt

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 04:59:10 PM »
Thanks for the responses.
I tried that. It moves the GPS up about an inch. Still doesn't quite clear the display (not from my position anyway). I need another inch.

But then, i don't think the bobbling about is good. Probably get a fatigue fracture in the mounting bracket after a while.

i could probably put some bracing struts down to the console somewhere but then i'd have to drill into the console. Not pretty.

Hmm!

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 05:51:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by petetatt [+]
Thanks for the responses.
I tried that. It moves the GPS up about an inch. Still doesn't quite clear the display (not from my position anyway). I need another inch.

But then, i don't think the bobbling about is good. Probably get a fatigue fracture in the mounting bracket after a while.

i could probably put some bracing struts down to the console somewhere but then i'd have to drill into the console. Not pretty.

Hmm!

How tall are you dude? I must have been one of the first to fit the 550 to this mount in the way that CB has suggested. At 6'4" it was near has dam perfect  :087: I wouldn't advise going any higher the bracket wont suffer but the thin metal bracket that is sandwiched between the front of the binnacle and face plate will almost definitely break  :005: :005:
Just be careful dude or could end up being rather expensive  :084: :084:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 06:19:02 PM »
Might be easier to sell the 550 on eBay and upgrade to a 660!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline petetatt

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 07:02:54 AM »
Ok, just to make sure i wasn't going insane, i just mounted it again the way you said. Definitely doesn't clear my line of vision. Blocks my view of the clock, temp and gear indicators.

Chaos, i'm smaller than you. 6'1".  I have a standard seat, set at the high position. (Prefer not to go to the low position).

But i agree, i can't have it bobbling around and eventually breaking.
I think for now i'll use the ram mount on the handlebars ... until my credit card's resuscitated enough to get a 660.

Thanks all.

Offline ibpete

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Chula Vista
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 07:38:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by petetatt [+]
So, when i mounted my Garmin 550 onto the Triumph GPS mount (A9828011), i found it covered up the top third or so of the info display.
snip
Has anyone devised a clever solution?
Not really a direct answer to your question but here's how I mounted my Zumo. I might build some more if there is any interest.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:03:51 PM by ibpete »
Mike Langford [aka IB Pete] IBA#341
I really hate it when I commit to running a yellow light and the guy in front of me chickens out.

tweedy-bunch