Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Questions from a potential new purchaser  (Read 6272 times)

Offline St3v3rino

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 08 HD Ultra Classic
  • City / Town: Vancouver BC
Questions from a potential new purchaser
« on: August 15, 2013, 06:43:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by TicketyBoo [+]
Its certainly very comfortable .. our biggest tour (around 800 miles) will be this weekend in Scotland so I'll report back then  :001:

I can sit pretty happily for 150 miles or so though I've found that in kevlar jeans my bum does go a bit numb, my leathers and textile trousers seem to be the best.  Certainly for Scotland it'll be textiles as they are waterproof lol.

Carol

Hello Carol (in fact, Hello Everybody!)

I'm Steve and I'm a lurker. :107:

Originally looking to get a BMW R1200RT to replace my HD Ultra, I've since been reading great things about the TT (funny, my car's a TT) and am trying to organize a test ride.

As a passenger I wondered if you answer me a few questions:
  • How tall are you (if not too personal)?
  • Is your bike stock (original seat / screen)?
  • Do you use an open face or full face helmet?
  • Do you notice any buffeting from the wind?
  • Do you have a top box, does it have a back pad attached, is it comfortable?
  • Is there anything you would say to prospective TT passenger?

My wife and I love riding and she is comfortable on the hog so I need to make sure she's going to be comfortable on the TT without spending lottsa dosh on replacement this and that.

Thanks!

Steve
(Coventry England -> Vancouver Canada)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:13:21 PM by Triumph Trophy »

Offline TrophyCat

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Several
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 06:48:29 PM »
You and your wife will find it a superb bike. The stock seats are very comfortable (more so than the BMW). The screen is large and excellent and stops most of the wind

Nikki
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:13:44 PM by Triumph Trophy »
My current babies:-
2013 TTSE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650
1997 Yamaha Virago 1100
1979 Suzuki GS750E

Offline Trumpet

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 07:07:14 PM »
Once u get the TT, you might want to add a Cal-Sci windshield which us a little taller and wider.But don't be surprise if the stock is satisfactory, it is the best stock windshield I ever seen.

A topcase with a backrest will do the trick for leaning back comfort
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:13:58 PM by Triumph Trophy »
If I had money I wouldn't be on this board now
I wanna be Hefner's roommate
I trade ignorance and youth for old age anytime

Offline TicketyBoo

• Trophy Pro
  • Happy Happy Pillion Girl
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Black :O)
  • City / Town: Mercia Marina, Derby
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 07:34:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by St3v3rino [+]
Hello Carol (in fact, Hello Everybody!)

I'm Steve and I'm a lurker. :107:

Originally looking to get a BMW R1200RT to replace my HD Ultra, I've since been reading great things about the TT (funny, my car's a TT) and am trying to organize a test ride.

As a passenger I wondered if you answer me a few questions:
  • How tall are you (if not too personal)?
  • Is your bike stock (original seat / screen)?
  • Do you use an open face or full face helmet?
  • Do you notice any buffeting from the wind?
  • Do you have a top box, does it have a back pad attached, is it comfortable?
  • Is there anything you would say to prospective TT passenger?

My wife and I love riding and she is comfortable on the hog so I need to make sure she's going to be comfortable on the TT without spending lottsa dosh on replacement this and that.

Thanks!

Steve
(Coventry England -> Vancouver Canada)

Hi Steve

I'll start off by saying that originally we'd planned to buy the Sprint GT so we could have a bit of a sporty tourer, but, having sat on it at the bike show last year with a top box on it was really uncomfortable, the top box pushed me too far forward and I felt like I was perched on just half a seat, so I knew for doing the touring we'd planned it was a  no go.  The Triumph sales guy kept trying to get us to sit on the Trophy (and here is where I make an admission  :034:) but we really didn't like the look of the Trophy, it looked too 'sensible' and big and awkward.  After much persuasion we got on and OMG we both instantly knew that for comfort, position etc etc it was ideal.  But it took the rest of the show and heading home in the car to talk ourselves into the fact we really didn't like the way the bike looked from the front .. like a big Owl is how I described it lol.  Anyway, 3,500 miles and 5 months on we adore it and wouldn't change it  :001:.  So, in answer to your questions :

1.  I'm pretty tall at 5' 9" .. its means I'm just slightly higher than Ian (he's 6ft) all my length is in my legs and for a while it did take some getting used to, getting my right leg over the bike without either kneeing Ian in the back or kicking the top box, but I find all is well now especially as the weather is better and when I'm warm I seem a bit more flexible (no rude comments there please lol).

2.  Yes, the bike is totally stock - standard ordinary seat (not heated) and standard screen.  We don't feel the need yet to change anything, but possibly a different seat for mega touring if we find the 1,000 miles this weekend gives us numb bums!

3.  I have a full face helmet, an Arai, Ian has a Shoei Neotec one of the flip front jobs so he doesn't have to take it off when going into petrol stations.  I'm afraid I like the full face look, I find the look of the helmet when its open a bit odd/weird and his helmet seems pretty heavy to me.

4.  Yes, I do get buffeted from the wind.  Sometimes I think the day has been really windy but when I look at the trees/bushes I can see it's actually not really windy at all.  The buffeting isn't too bad though, however when the screen goes up its bliss, its like being in some kind of void and all the wind just goes and its fab, however, it does seem to act like a bit of a sail and can really affect the handling (so Ian tells me).

5.  Yes, we have the top box and its great, its like sitting in an armchair and makes me feel really safe.  I've never liked the look of top boxes but in terms of the added security and comfort its really good.  We never bothered buying the back pad for the  box - I have armour in my jacket and I just don't feel I need the extra padding at all and its totally comfortable.

6.  Is there anything I'd say to a prospective TT passenger .. I guess it depends on whether they've been a pillion before.  Although we are new to biking this time around, I actually spent an awful lot of time as a pillion in my late teens/early twenties (which is sadly 30 years ago now !!).  In those days I rode on the back of a Suzuki GS1000, no top box or bars.  The Trophy is a lot bigger, heavier bike and you're pretty high up compared to the old bikes, but its so comfortable and safe feeling - I have no qualms about being on the bike.  The bike is so comfortable from a pillion point of view and I'm sure your pillion would absolutely love it.  We tried a few bikes out before going for the Trophy including a BMW 1200 something or other which was Ian's initial desire (I've always been a Triumph girl despite the Suzuki GS1000 blip) there is something about the brand I've just always loved.  But having dragged Ian to Triumph World here in Chesterfield last year he soon became converted with all the lovely sexy shineyness of a Triumph  :152:

Whoops .. having just looked at your original message I see your wife is already a well established pillion .. I've never been on a Harley so I can't compare to that at all I'm afraid, but I do know I love the Trophy.  I think a test drive for you both is needed.

Do let me know how you get on won't you?

Carol
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:14:12 PM by Triumph Trophy »
Trophy SE 2015 in Sexy Phantom Black!

Offline Triumph Trophy

• Admin/Moderator
  • Forum Help & Support
    • View Profile
Re: Questions from a potential new purchaser
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 10:16:39 PM »
I've split these post from the "bonkers" topic and made it a topic in it's own right otherwise the original topic will go "off topic" (as if it's not done that enough already lol....  :138: )

Cheers peeps  :038:

:821:

Offline TicketyBoo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 10:22:50 PM »
Ah yes .. good idea  :047:

Carol

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 12:27:09 AM »
Carol, I still have my 1978 GS1000 (off the road at the moment) so be careful about the Suzuki 'blip' comment lol!!! :745:

Offline TicketyBoo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 12:50:13 AM »

Do you know .. I'm pretty sure ours was 1978 too!  It was stolen back in the 80s, leaving the key in the ignition probably didn't help !!  :087:

Carol

tweedy-bunch