Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Tie down points  (Read 11968 times)

Offline RCVette

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
Tie down points
« on: August 16, 2013, 02:08:51 am »
My first post to this forum.  I will be buying a Trophy from out of state and trailering it to its new home about 1,100 miles away. I don't have access to the owner's manual yet. Does anyone know the locations of the official tie down points? Does the suspension need to be compressed? Thanks
2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Glenn

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wisbech, Cambs
Re: Tie down points
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 03:45:58 pm »
Hello RCVette. Just looked through my user handbook and found no references to the subject, sorry. Perhaps call your dealer for advice.

Offline Tonto

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 03:51:55 pm »
Always ride in control.

Offline Cide1

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Fishers
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 04:29:14 pm »
I don't know an official answer, but I think taking the side bags (panniers) off would let you use the passenger grab rail effectively with some tie-down straps on the rear.  The book instructs using these rails for lifting the bike onto the center stand, and they are quite sturdy.

The dealer should know how these are fastened into a shipping crate, may be good to follow that.

One other concern I've read on here is that some of the people with front fork leaking issues think it may be related to the forks being overly compressed while shipping.  The problem does seem more prevalent on bikes shipped far distances.  Mine was shipped over the Atlantic ocean, and it shows no issues.  Based on this, I think it will be important to take the slap up with straps, but be careful to not go too far.

Offline RCVette

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 06:58:16 pm »
Excellent suggestions. Talked to my local Triumph dealer and they were able to pass along some good pointers. Strap down the front triple tree from both sides but do not compress the front suspension. It just needs equal tension on both straps. Move to the middle section and strap down from the open area just above the foot pegs. At the back of the bike, remove the panniers and strap from the grab handles, again not compressing the rear shock but putting tension on the straps. That's 6 straps and those should hold it. Recheck the tension on each strap occasionally while in transit.

I'll post some pictures next week of each anchor point.

Thanks for the suggestions
2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Glenn

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wisbech, Cambs
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 07:03:15 pm »
*Originally Posted by RCVette [+]
Excellent suggestions. Talked to my local Triumph dealer and they were able to pass along some good pointers. Strap down the front triple tree from both sides but do not compress the front suspension. It just needs equal tension on both straps. Move to the middle section and strap down from the open area just above the foot pegs. At the back of the bike, remove the panniers and strap from the grab handles, again not compressing the rear shock but putting tension on the straps. That's 6 straps and those should hold it. Recheck the tension on each strap occasionally while in transit.

I'll post some pictures next week of each anchor point.

Thanks for the suggestions
:152:

Offline flyingz06

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Indiana
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 08:59:27 pm »
*Originally Posted by Glenn [+]
:152:

Wont happen unless the floor anchors are right below.  The fairing gets in the way with trucks and trailers.  You will need the kind that attach to the bars with an attachment to each.  The bike is a pain in the ass to anchor. 

Buy a Condor!!!!!!!  Excellent for trailering.

No straps needed in rear.

Offline Trumpetman14

• Trophy Pro
  • You Gotta Love her!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wendell, NC
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 09:59:37 pm »
Hey RCV, Did you buy your's at Ray Price, was it the Blue Demo or the Silver floor model.. Lets hook up some time, I'm in Wendell, near Knightdale. -Dr Ron :400:
Growing old MAY BE mandatory...But
Growing up is OPTIONAL !!

tweedy-bunch