Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: 10,000 mile Service  (Read 4742 times)

• Offline Joraru

• Trophy Member  ‐    17
    • Topic Author

Offline Joraru

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Shelton
    10,000 mile Service
    on: Apr 20, 2020, 06.58 pm
    Apr 20, 2020, 06.58 pm
    Good day all!

When I bought my trophy I was sitting at 9,000 miles. Now I'm slightly over 10k. I only have 2 "local" triumph dealers and only one who is doing services during this pandemic. Their quote is over a grand for the 10k service and that seems a bit ridiculous. I was wondering if there is a "how to" or similar resource on here for doing the 10k service my self (minus dealer tool check). I'm fairly mechanically inclined as long as there is no electrical troubleshooting and the list in the manual doesn't look too intimidating. It would just be nice to have a order of operation if you will. Thanks for any help!

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10000

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: 10,000 mile Service
    Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2020, 07.28 pm
    Apr 20, 2020, 07.28 pm
    That seems like an obscene amount of money to pay for an Oil, Oil Filter, and Air Filter change !

I'd recommend you start by having a look through the Service Schedule
    to see what is involved in the 10,000 mile service and whether you think
    those processes are within your capability.

The Service Schedule can be found from Page 117 onwards of your Owners Handbook.

Alternatively, and for a version where the known errors have been corrected,
    you can download a copy of the Service Dchedule from this Topic :

Servicing Data, Reference Info. & DTC ( Fault ) Codes

You will find the Service Schedule download file at the bottom of the first Post.

Within the same Topic at Reply #8, titled, "Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC's ) / Fault Codes"
    you will find information on how to check for any Fault Codes ( "DTC's" ) that may have been stored.

Once you've had a browse through it, check the Forum by using the "SEARCH" button
    for articles on how to perform some of the more difficult tasks, such as removing the Fairings,
    Removing the Fuel Tank to access the Airbox etc.

The 10,000 mile Service mainly comprises changing the Engine Oil and Filter, Changing the Air Filter,
    and lots of "checks for correct operation".  It doesn't even call for changing the Spark Plugs,
    only Checking them, though if you've gone to the trouble of getting them out to "check" them,
    I'd probably recommend changing them anyway !

Don't forget to check any other items that are scheduled
    to be completed "Every 2 years / 3 years" etc. regardless of mileage !

You obviously won't be able to carry out the "Autoscan" , delete any Error Codes that may be stored,
    or reset the Service reminder - the after market "DealerTool" device can clear Fault Codes
    and reset the Service Reminder, and is also useful for other operations
    such as opening the ABS Valves when it's time to flush out the old Hydraulic Fluid.

Cheers  :821:

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2020, 07.37 pm
    Apr 20, 2020, 07.37 pm
    I wonder if they are looking at an old service sheet? The one my local dealer showed me the other year had the timing/valve check listed on it, that's the sort of service that costs that amount of money I'm told.

• Offline Joraru

• Trophy Member  ‐    17
    • Topic Author

Offline Joraru

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Shelton
    Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2020, 07.48 pm
    Apr 20, 2020, 07.48 pm
    I'm glad I'm not the only one to find that ridiculous. I dont know what sheet they're looking at but having triumph in their name you'd think they know what they're doing.

Coconut, I downloaded the fillable service sheet last night and it seems easy. Especially when you brake it down to the basics like that. Thank you.

Does anyone know when the service warning comes on? I checked the dtcs and I have non and I dont have a service warning yet. Like I said, I'm only slightly over 10k though. Also, what is a good stateside resource for the hoat coolant? I found the filter on amazon and can get oil locally

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2793

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2020, 08.21 pm
    Apr 20, 2020, 08.21 pm
    *Originally Posted by Joraru [+]
    I'm glad I'm not the only one to find that ridiculous. I dont know what sheet they're looking at but having triumph in their name you'd think they know what they're doing.

Coconut, I downloaded the fillable service sheet last night and it seems easy. Especially when you brake it down to the basics like that. Thank you.

Does anyone know when the service warning comes on? I checked the dtcs and I have non and I dont have a service warning yet. Like I said, I'm only slightly over 10k though. Also, what is a good stateside resource for the hoat coolant? I found the filter on amazon and can get oil locally

Normally, the warning jumps to 16,000 km. But that will depend on the distributor, if you consider that the next revision should be 16,000.

In my case, it jumps every 10,000 km, that is, when I program it, I always replace the oil and filter at 10,000 km.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline Canes1   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    640

Offline Canes1

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2017 Phantom Black
    • City / Town: Fayetteville, GA
    Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2020, 10.38 pm
    Apr 20, 2020, 10.38 pm
    I'm sitting at about 8000 miles, so 10,000 mile service is not too far away. Asked the mechanic at the dealership if me removing all the body work would save in the cost of the service...to which he replied, "That depends on what service is involved. :187:

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    622

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
    • City / Town: Rowley Regis
    Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2020, 10.46 pm
    Apr 20, 2020, 10.46 pm
    That sounds a bit iffy Canes1, if he don't know what's involved in a 10K service, what sort of a service will your bike get, I'd be very wary  :084:
    Paul Wilko

• Offline Sleuth

• Trophy Member  ‐    22

Offline Sleuth

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Winchester, MA
    Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2020, 11.40 pm
    Apr 20, 2020, 11.40 pm
    I just checked and my 10,000 mile service at a dealer cost $500 a little more than a year ago.  That was still too much, but not enough to make me change dealers.

tweedy-bunch