Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: In the market for a new bike.  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Warthog1959

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB750SOHC, Pan 1100
  • City / Town: Bicester
In the market for a new bike.
« on: December 16, 2012, 07:58:58 PM »
Hi fellow bikers I need A bike that tours, be fuel economic, handle well, even back lane scratch a bit. preferably not quite so heavy but reliable without teething issues. I do not want to be a Beta tester like I was when I bought a 2008 MG Norge.

I have considered a Motoguzzi California 1400, too thirsty too expensive.

A Ducati Multistrada, too expensive.

A Triumph Tiger 800 still an option, but wouldn't have the weather protection and might struggle fully loaded with a pillion. Save me a lot of money though.

A BMW k1300GT, it would be second hand but I am unsure about reliability issues did they sort them?

An updated Norge 1200, apparently improved, but is still a bit underpowered and could never handle as well as the other bikes. Apart from the Cali.

A Honda VFR 1200, tank too small.

To be truthfull, I am praying that this trophy does not have any serious issues, because if this is the case then it seems to be the answer to avoid all the issues above. I know there is no such thing as a perfect bike, but could this be the nearest to the best in Sports Tourers. Still heavy, but I have a pan European at the mo and can cope with it.

If you are a prospective buyer, I will be praying that you do not have any reliability issues. Then I will follow in your tracks next summer.  :821:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 08:34:02 PM by Warthog1959 »

Offline gogs01

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2010 BMW R1200RT SE
  • City / Town: Dundee
Re: In the market for a new bike.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 04:42:56 AM »
Hi and welcome.

I guess we're all hoping the same thing - that the Trophy will live up to all the hype and come as a finished, reliable package. Only time will tell.

You don't mention the BMW R1200RT in your list of bikes you have considered. It's lighter and has more power (and "character") than your Pan and is highly rated in the handling & comfort stakes.  Reliability depends on who you talk to, but an awful lot of them have been sold and they're coming to the end of their run, so there shouldn't be too many surprises on one that's done a few miles.

Just so happens I'm thinking about replacing mine next Spring .........