Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: K&N Air Filter / Cleaner  (Read 3586 times)

Offline lbelisle

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Boise
K&N Air Filter / Cleaner
« on: August 16, 2013, 08:10:57 PM »
Where is the air cleaner/filter located and how does one service it?  I bought a K&N air filter for my new Trophy, but I can't figure out where it goes.  The owners manual doesn't have any reference to the air filter.  I think they want only a Triumph dealer to service it.  I searched this forum, but couldn't find any previous posts.  I even looked at a post that showed pictures of the Trophy with the skin off and didn't see anything that looked like where the air filter would go.  Any suggestions?  Much appreciated.  Cheers.

Offline Bajagrngo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE launch.
  • City / Town: Las Vegas
Re: K&N Air Filter / Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 08:25:29 PM »
Go to MCparts.com. They sell the air filter. Click on it and a diagram appears of the air filter placement
Tom Brennan

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 10:45:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by lbelisle [+]
Where is the air cleaner/filter located and how does one service it?  I bought a K&N air filter for my new Trophy, but I can't figure out where it goes.  The owners manual doesn't have any reference to the air filter.  I think they want only a Triumph dealer to service it.  I searched this forum, but couldn't find any previous posts.  I even looked at a post that showed pictures of the Trophy with the skin off and didn't see anything that looked like where the air filter would go.  Any suggestions?  Much appreciated.  Cheers.

Dude

The air filter is under the fuel tank. Its a major operation according the the techie that has just completed my 1st service (second Trophy) He reckoned 3hour just to get to it has all the lower part of the fairing has to be removed and the fuel tank also just to undo 4 screw and replacing a filter.
Technology at its finest good job there's 10,000 miles between services  :087: :087:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline Desertaire

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: El Paso TX
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 10:52:51 PM »
I guess I'll buy the K&N and keep it for the 10,000 miles maintenance.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 12:54:35 AM »
Thing about the K&N is that they are designed to be used and cleaned and re-used.  I use a K&N on my Corvette because the filter is easy to get to and the Vette can afford the down time while cleaning, rinsing and drying the cleaner, the K&N oil is being applied, and the oil is wicking.  I do all my own work and allow an entire afternoon for this process

http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm

If you don't do your own work I don't know that you are going to find a Triumph tech who will do this unless you get charged a fortune for his time.  But of course the choice is yours. Just something to think about before making the purchase. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 08:28:45 AM »
The air filter in the ST11 needs a bit of work to get too, but this seems crazy!  About the same service interval though, and as I use a K&N I tend to leave it a fair bit longer between cleaning and re-oiling.  First 2 years in warranty period will be a bit different though.

Offline lbelisle

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 05:23:36 PM »
Thanks guys.  Maybe I'll just return the filter.  I should have checked before I ordered.  I never thought it would take a major effort for an air filter, but that's technological advancement I guess.   :157: