Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: A failure to start problem solved  (Read 3418 times)

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4965
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    A failure to start problem solved
    on: Apr 25, 2020, 07.52 pm
    Apr 25, 2020, 07.52 pm
    My Trophy began failing to start after riding a bit, and would on and off start after sitting for a short time, but not reliably so.  I first started trying to trouble shoot the sensors, both the side stand and clutch, and determined it to be the clutch switch, and was able to prove it more than once by depressing the switch plunger and letting it snap out under it's own spring pressure, but that was certainly not a 100% reliable cure.  Searching for the switch revealed nothing but the entire switch cube at an outrageous price, so I enlisted the Guru.  You all know who I mean! :008:  Coconut responded to me and furnished a picture of the retaining screw which I never would have seen since it's well hidden, and even found a listing on ebay for a switch cube for me at considerably less than new.  Since I now knew I could get a switch cube if necessary, and now knowing I could remove the clutch switch, I figured nothing ventured, nothing gained, and set about solving, or at least diagnosing the problem with it.  First off, yes it is a bit of a fiddly job due to where it's located and how it's attached underneath the main wiring cable into the cube, but it's doable.  Little lock tabs hold the housing together and there is a small limit switch inside operated by a ramped plunger with a spring behind it - don't lose that!  I found the switch itself to be just slightly notchy in operation, but with a little manipulation of it I was able to make it function flawlessly, and replicated the function after the housing was back together before it was installed on the bottom of the switch cube.  If anyone has a failure to start and can trace it to this little micro switch you may be able to free it up so that it works properly without spending a dime!  Pictures are so you know what you're getting into before attempting it.

Coconut stated that this particular issue was not something he had heard about, and I may be a one of a kind, but if it occurs on anyone else's Trophy I hope this helps solve it.

Thanks again to our Guru for his help and insight into the process of replacing the switch cube if necessary, which is what really drove me to attempt this. :028:
    Stay safe all,
    Glenn
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4965
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    Re: A failure to start problem solved
    Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2020, 10.22 pm
    Apr 25, 2020, 10.22 pm
    Well, one day later and I think the problem is the ignition switch wiring issue instead.  I went out to start it and ...... nothing, just the dash and systems powered up, no attempt to start whatsoever.  I tried it multiple cycles of the key, waited a while in between attempts, nothing.  Then I thought I might try rotating the handlebars to one side, and while holding the starter switch in it fired immediately while moving the handlebars to the left from about 12 o'clock to about 10:30 and the starter kicked in.  Now to the ignition switch recall process. :010:

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10059

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2020, 09.54 am
    Apr 26, 2020, 09.54 am
    Sorry to hear you're still having problems, but at least there's a Recall
    now to fix the Ignition Switch wiring if that's the cause !  :028:

As a footnote to anyone reading the Topic because they have problems with
    their Clutch switch, there is information that can be found by searching the Internet,
    describing a method of bypassing the Clutch switch by simply cutting off
    the plastic plunger that extends from the switch body.

That process is for a different Triumph Model - DO NOT be tempted to do this
    thinking you can live without the Safety feature of having to hold the Clutch Lever in
    to be able to start the engine, or you will find that you can no longer use your Cruise Control,
    as that switch is also used to disengage the Cruise Control when the Clutch is operated !  :157:

• Offline wayne   gb

• Trophy Member  ‐    41

Offline wayne

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy se 1215
    • City / Town: Sunderland
    Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2020, 01.41 pm
    Apr 26, 2020, 01.41 pm
    Hello,
    I too had the same failure to start. However I undid the solenoid connections near the battery and the starter lead at the starter motor where I found corroded terminals. Once cleaned up it started everytime. My Bike also has the dreaded ignition problem. The above might be worth a try?

Cheers,
    Wayne

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4965
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2020, 02.01 pm
    Apr 26, 2020, 02.01 pm
    I'm definitely going to check that as well.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4965
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2020, 02.13 pm
    Apr 28, 2020, 02.13 pm
    Ignition switch.  Front wheel straight ahead, nothing.  Hold the starter button in, turn the handlebars left or right and it starts.  All my clutch switch troubleshooting was done after it was disassembled with the wheel to the right for access to the switch retaining screw.

• Offline bobv07662   00

• Trophy Pro  ‐    313

Offline bobv07662

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Rochelle Park, NJ
    Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2020, 12.29 am
    Apr 29, 2020, 12.29 am
    Trophied, how many miles on your bike ? Are you going in for the ign. switch wiring rework/callback?
    1978 Bonneville    1973 Trophy Trail TR5T
    2012 Thruxton      1976 Hodaka ED250
    2014 Trophy SE    1950 Vincent Rapide
    1976 Yamaha RD400C 1967 Rickman 8 valve
    1978 Yamaha DT400E

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4965
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2020, 02.17 pm
    Apr 29, 2020, 02.17 pm
    I intend to.  I emailed the nearest dealer and their service department response was that they only have 1 service tech at the moment and they have 25 motorcycles in the shop for service.  I'm not sure how long I would have to leave it there to get it done.  I'm going to check with the other one twice as far away to see what they say, but their service department has gone down hill from what it once was.  If I have to do it myself I'm doing the add wire and re-route procedure like digital suggested.