Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Irritating iPod behavior  (Read 2904 times)

• Offline thogland   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    140
    • Topic Author

Offline thogland

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Wasilla
    Irritating iPod behavior
    on: May 02, 2020, 05.29 pm
    May 02, 2020, 05.29 pm
    Love the bike, and appreciate the audio system integration, but there's a few things on it that just bug me after a few years.

First, no way to pause playback? Why can't that have been mapped to a button someplace, maybe in the center of the volume/tuning/etc cluster?

Then, it seems like randomly (and frequently) when starting up it will reset from whatever playlist and song it was on to ALL and start over alphabetically. I like to listen to audiobooks on long rides, and that's beyond irritating. I thought about repurposing a small iPod and leaving it in there all the time with just music on it, but there's also no shuffle/random/etc setting anyplace I can find. You're stuck with either starting over listening to everything alphabetically again, or choosing a playlist. And, if you set shuffle on the ipod itself, when the bike decides to reset things it resets that as well.

I'd love an option from the OEM stereo manufacturer to pull it and send it in for an update - give me a pause button, a shuffle option and a remote BT antenna that I can put up in the center by the fuel cap to fix/reduce dropouts. It'd be damn near perfect at that point.

Okay - rant over, back to our regularly scheduled desire to get out and ride  :153:

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2831

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Re: Irritating iPod behavior
    Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 06.41 pm
    May 02, 2020, 06.41 pm
    I see the pause very complicated and the supplier, I doubt that he will do it.

Now if you are a handyman and have little knowledge of electronics.

I do not see why I can not put a keyboard next to the fuel cap, it is more, also with a light on the buttons so that at night you can see which button to press.

That's no problem doing it ...
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline dandrumheller   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    198

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Pro
    • City / Town: Lebanon ME
    Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 09.29 pm
    May 02, 2020, 09.29 pm
    *Originally Posted by thogland [+]
    Love the bike, and appreciate the audio system integration, but there's a few things on it that just bug me after a few years.

First, no way to pause playback? Why can't that have been mapped to a button someplace, maybe in the center of the volume/tuning/etc cluster?

Then, it seems like randomly (and frequently) when starting up it will reset from whatever playlist and song it was on to ALL and start over alphabetically. I like to listen to audiobooks on long rides, and that's beyond irritating. I thought about repurposing a small iPod and leaving it in there all the time with just music on it, but there's also no shuffle/random/etc setting anyplace I can find. You're stuck with either starting over listening to everything alphabetically again, or choosing a playlist. And, if you set shuffle on the ipod itself, when the bike decides to reset things it resets that as well.

I'd love an option from the OEM stereo manufacturer to pull it and send it in for an update - give me a pause button, a shuffle option and a remote BT antenna that I can put up in the center by the fuel cap to fix/reduce dropouts. It'd be damn near perfect at that point.

Okay - rant over, back to our regularly scheduled desire to get out and ride  :153:

I 100% agree with your rant.  Lack of pause button on switch cube is my #1 gripe.  Lack of shuffle is #2.  I had been running my locally stored tunes on a USB stick, which was super convenient because it was cheap and took up essentially zero space in the glove box.  But I got sick of it starting over at 'A' every time.  I now carry an out of service older iphone to act as local music storage - have my tunes set up as a playlist and do the manual shuffle from the phone screen at the start of the ride if I plan to use it. 

However I use a decommissioned Android phone as my satnav on the fairing mount - it doesn't have active service on it so I feed it internet access via the hotspot feature on my everyday phone.   So that is also my normal source for tunes as well, via streaming on amazon/pandora/spotify.  I use a 'car dock' app so it also has a nice big pause button on the music player screen!  Only really use the ipod if I'm running around more local and don't feel like setting up the hotspot stuff, or if I'm somewhere in the sticks with no solid cell service. 
    2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

• Offline Canes1   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    640

Offline Canes1

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2017 Phantom Black
    • City / Town: Fayetteville, GA
    Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 10.08 pm
    May 02, 2020, 10.08 pm
    Bought a 7 gen Ipod touch, specifically for this bike, for the simple reason it seemed Triumph preferred Apple devices (reading the owners manual) and really, how hard would have been to include a pause button. :174:
    And don't ask me why but, the ipod nano was more expensive than the touch.

If it gets to be too much of a hassle, will probably mount Ipod to a Ram mount on handle bar, while still connecting it to the audio system in the glove box I guess. :187:

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2831

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 01.31 am
    May 03, 2020, 01.31 am
    A good solution would be that GPS manufacturers add the possibility that through their devices, a card can be added, in which mp3 can be played and take advantage of its touch panel.

It could perform all functions, including pause.

This way, I would avoid having to carry a multitude of devices on my motorcycle.  :084:

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10074

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 11.50 am
    May 03, 2020, 11.50 am
    My Garmin 595 accepts a Memory card and has a Media Player app built in,
    which allows the Music Files to be shuffled :

Ths YouTube video is for the Gamin Zumo 590 which is similar :

Cheers  :821:

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2831

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 01.08 pm
    May 03, 2020, 01.08 pm
    *Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
    My Garmin 595 accepts a Memory card and has a Media Player app built in,
    which allows the Music Files to be shuffled :

Ths YouTube video is for the Gamin Zumo 590 which is similar :

Cheers  :821:

Yes, that's what I meant. I didn't know that the Garmin has that function.

I've always had TomTom and none of them had that feature.

• Offline thogland   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    140
    • Topic Author

Offline thogland

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: Wasilla
    Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 04.42 pm
    May 03, 2020, 04.42 pm
    Maybe I'll look into this as an option - I use a Garmin 660 on mine. Don't recall if it had the playback options like that, but we'll see.

I've also got a couple other iPods that I'll try, maybe it's the couple I've used (a 6th gen Touch and a iPhone 6). Or, perhaps an old Galaxy S7 - rig up a mount for it and use it as a media player.

Just wish all this fancy iPod integration actually worked reliably. Not to rag too hard on the Trophy, though - my 2017 GMC Canyon's fancy nav/Bose/Polk Audio stereo occasionally does the same thing - resets the current track to start over, or resets the playlist to the beginning. Never had it reset the whole playback to All, though.