Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Hardwired Bluetooth  (Read 6989 times)

Offline ibpete

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Chula Vista
Hardwired Bluetooth
« on: August 17, 2013, 09:03:17 pm »
This may seem silly but I have a pretty severe hearing impairment and can't use normal headphones. I have a custom molded Challenger headset from Earplugco.com [no affiliation just a very satisfied customer] http://earplugco.com/prod01.htm

I connect this to a MixIt2 [http://www.mixitproducts.com/ again highly recommended] which has multiple inputs and a single output with enough gain I can turn the volume up to compensate for not being able to wear my hearing aids.

When I first looked at the Trophy I was very disappointed that there was no audio out from the system that I could plug into my MixIt. I figured the radio would be like my LT just so much dead weight but I found a solution!

I bought a Bluetooth receiver which paired up with no problems at all with the Trophy. I take the audio out and route it to my MixIt and viola I have all the Trophy sources in my headset.

Here is the product I got. $20 from Monoprice.com
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10827&cs_id=1082704&p_id=7364&seq=1&format=2

I recommend this product as a good bluetooth receiver with the following caveats:
  • the audio out level is very high. This is obviously made to tie in to a stereo system. I had to put in an inline volume control to turn it down because when I adjusted the volume with my MixIt the GPS volume was too low.
  • the USB power input jack is an A male. This requires a USB A Male to Male connector which is really rare. Be sure you buy one with the unit or, if you're handy with a soldering iron you can just run a USB male pigtail out like I did.

Here is how I mounted it.
  • I took the unit apart and stripped out the A/C adapter tabs and trimmed the plastic a bit so I could get some attaching velcro to lay flat.
  • Since I had it apart I took an old USB cable, cut off the male end, and soldered it on the main PCB.
  • Since I wanted to leave the USB female connector in place, a bit of dremel work made clearance for the cable.

This all fit nicely in the glove box where I mounted a USB hub so I can also plug in my phone.
As far as where I put all this other stuff that will come in another post.

Comments welcome and thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 12:52:00 am by ibpete »
Mike Langford [aka IB Pete] IBA#341
I really hate it when I commit to running a yellow light and the guy in front of me chickens out.

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: Hardwired Bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 10:51:43 am »
I asked starcom about their btm02 Bluetooth receivers for their intercoms and got the reply that they work with the ft.  Also they suggested their wire link they say "just splices into the speaker wires"  splices implies 'wiring' in rather than having the correct connectors but I will ask them.  As with the job done on another thread it is possible to get at the speaker wiring and wire in an 'audio out '  I think this might be possible without taking the front to bits again.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 04:41:33 pm »
I'm not really clear on what the Bluetooth receiver does.  Is the purpose to enhance the Trophy's Bluetooth signal or to increase the number of devices that can connect to the Trophy?  My problem with the Trophy's audio systems so far has been that it doesn't seem to stay connected to the headset so that there is a "skipping" effect
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:47:41 pm by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 04:50:48 pm »
The starcom bit is to link Bluetooth from the bike into an external intercom (my spell check wants to say intercourse? )  it was just interesting that they offered the "splice"  I will find out what they have done as they own autocom as well.

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 07:23:43 pm »
Hi all, I use a Starcom Digital and I spoke to Starcom about bluetoothing the Starcom digital unit, the idea being that you receive the Bluetooth from the bike then it transfers to the digital unit and then you have wires going to headsets. Starcom said that their current Bluetooth unit will read the Bluetooth of the bike but you are unable to adjust the volume in anyway ! so how you hear it is how it will stay.

Yesterday I spliced my Starcom speaker cable into the 6" speaker wires that connect from the speaker to the loom as Bluepilot posted and it works a treat.

Roger

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 07:26:44 pm »
Autocom do a part which hard wires into the speakers and provides a 3.5mm jack audio out. It is intended to plug into one of their Autocom boxes but will just as happily plug into a Starcom or some other hardwired system.

It also gives you an extra physical switch which allows you to have output to your speakers or to the audio out cable.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline ibpete

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Chula Vista
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 12:07:11 am »
*Originally Posted by john348 [+]
I asked starcom about their btm02 Bluetooth receivers for their intercoms and got the reply that they work with the ft.  Also they suggested their wire link they say "just splices into the speaker wires"  splices implies 'wiring' in rather than having the correct connectors but I will ask them.  As with the job done on another thread it is possible to get at the speaker wiring and wire in an 'audio out '  I think this might be possible without taking the front to bits again.

Geez that thing is EXPENSIVE! I'm seeing L75 on ebay and $114 at a dealer. Ya the monoprice module has to be tweeked a bit but for $20 it looks like it's worth a shot (was in my case).

Also, I tapped into my speaker wires on my old bike. You need to be very careful about watching the power output and impedance matching. It's very difficult to get this information from either the bike side or the module side. Difficult, as in, impossible. So tapping into a line is pure guesswork as to the results. I blew out several headsets before I got the MixIt which could handle the 100 watt input power.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:13:03 am by ibpete »
Mike Langford [aka IB Pete] IBA#341
I really hate it when I commit to running a yellow light and the guy in front of me chickens out.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 06:20:56 am »
That is why the Autocom part is not so cheap. It has all the black box magic bits in it to handle the power and bring it down to a rating that won't blow your intercom box inputs or headphones.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

tweedy-bunch