Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trophy Suspension settings  (Read 7961 times)

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
Re: Trophy Suspension settings
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2020, 10:01:23 pm »
*Originally Posted by digital [+]
For example, if I park the motorcycle in a place where the ground does not have much incline and the motorcycle remains somewhat straight, lower the suspensions in the lowest position (1 helmet) if the opposite happens in that the motorcycle is very inclined and then I It would cost to lift it, I put on (2 helmets). If things get ugly and it is much more inclined than even placing 2 helmets, then I resort to putting it on 2 helmets and also place the wooden block under the side stand.

OK, I understand that.  Thanks for the clarification.  So what are the negative effects of having the "wrong" height setting?  I mean if I set it to one helmet to achieve a lower seat height,  but actually ride it with two people plus luggage, what happens ?  Is it a case of a firmer ride because there is less spring travel ?
Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2020, 10:19:03 pm »
*Originally Posted by Novocastrian [+]
OK, I understand that.  Thanks for the clarification.  So what are the negative effects of having the "wrong" height setting?  I mean if I set it to one helmet to achieve a lower seat height,  but actually ride it with two people plus luggage, what happens ?  Is it a case of a firmer ride because there is less spring travel ?

You are a person of rather tall stature, so the best for your driving when you travel with your TopCase lady and loaded saddlebags, you must carry it in the position of 2 helmets, if you carry it in position 1 helmet and saddlebag or only 1 helmet. The motorcycle will lower substantially, yes, you will reach the ground much better, but you run the risk that when you go down from a curb the central stand of the motorcycle will touch the ground. Or even worse, on curvy roads, if you lay down the bike a lot, it would rub the footrest on the asphalt, running the risk of losing control of the bike.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline Dan66

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kansas City metro
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2020, 12:46:35 pm »
*Originally Posted by digital [+]
You are a person of rather tall stature, so the best for your driving when you travel with your TopCase lady and loaded saddlebags, you must carry it in the position of 2 helmets, if you carry it in position 1 helmet and saddlebag or only 1 helmet. The motorcycle will lower substantially, yes, you will reach the ground much better, but you run the risk that when you go down from a curb the central stand of the motorcycle will touch the ground. Or even worse, on curvy roads, if you lay down the bike a lot, it would rub the footrest on the asphalt, running the risk of losing control of the bike.

Although this is a good point, selecting the bike ride height has little to do with the riders height.  The bike ride height will impact clearance over curbs and bumps as well as lean angle (rather minimally) but for the rider this just changes how far to the ground.  Those of us with shorter legs may prefer the lowest height unless load dictates otherwise and those with longer legs may prefer a higher setting but the impact is only when stopped.

That said, the pre-load (ride height) does impact the ride and handling of the bike.  If the bike is adjusted too low for it's load, it could bottom out, damaging suspension components and make it handle less predictably.  If the bike is adjusted too high a rider could have trouble reaching the ground at a stop.  There will be some behavior difference in the rebound behavior if the bike is adjusted too high but I do believe very few folks would be able to detect this.

The best thing to do is to straddle the bike when adjusting ride height and you can feel the bike rise and fall.  Additionally, to get a feel for the dampening mode, you should ride the same road back to back on the different settings.  Just adjusting the mode on the fly may not be as obvious as the road may change slightly.

Offline Leanover

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 trophy se
  • City / Town: M÷rlenbach
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2020, 01:26:25 pm »
I ride in two up mode with normal damping.  This works pretty well for one up fun or slightly more relaxed two up riding.  The sport damping setting is too firm and comfort to soft. .the gaps between the settings are too big it feels like 4 to 6 clicks ( 1 to 1.5 turns ) where I would prefer 2 clicks( half  a turn) less for comfort and 2 clicks (half a turn) more for sport.. I would prefer the  std non electronic suspension!! And then have it resprung and revalved to sute.

Offline Clipper

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: HUNTINGTOWN
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2020, 02:44:13 am »
i usually keep my bike set to normal. I have used the comfort setting several times and it is definitely a softer ride with more movement of the suspension, very noticeable for me.

tweedy-bunch