Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Rear Tyre Puncture .. Plugged and Sealant Used .. What would you do ??  (Read 7190 times)

Offline TicketyBoo

• Trophy Pro
  • Happy Happy Pillion Girl
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Black :O)
  • City / Town: Mercia Marina, Derby
Hello All

Whilst in Scotland this weekend we managed to puncture the rear tyre .. strangely enough, having read through another thread on punctures it seems we had the exact piece of metal pierce our tyre that Cropbiker had!!  About 10mm long, 1mm thick shard of metal which looked like it would bend in half with your fingers but was absolutely unbendable .. went into the actual tread at an angle. 

Anyway, we're covered by the RAC and a guy came out from a local garage (a biker as it happened) and used that sticky ropey thing they plug it with .. sort of thread it into a big needle, poke it in and pull it out and its supposed to seal.  Well, the first dozen times he tried it it just wouldn't seal.  Our option was either to be taken down to Carlisle Triumph dealer and get it repaired on the Monday (it happened on the Saturday night) or use sealant inside the tyre which the garage guy said would destroy the tyre.  We went for that option deciding we sooo wanted to continue with our first ever tour we'd rather pay for a new tyre later.  So .. the sealant didn't work either, but he tried plugging it once more and it finally worked and has been perfect for a good 500 miles.

The question is (sorry it's taken a while to get to this bit  :187:) .. do we need to now replace the tyre?  Is it indeed ruined/destroyed/dangerous to run on a rear tyre that has sealant in it and a gungy black rope pluggy thing?  The TPM still works fine and shows the correct pressure and increases slightly as the tyre warms up so that seems OK.  We are happy to get a new tyre if the consensus of opinion of experienced bikers says we should, but of course if there is life left in the tyre (we've done around 4,500 miles on it) and don't have to fork out for a new one then it would be good to save the money.

Carol
Trophy SE 2015 in Sexy Phantom Black!

Offline RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy & Tiger 1
  • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
Re: Rear Tyre Puncture .. Plugged and Sealant Used .. What would you do ??
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 09:17:49 pm »
That tyre is toast! The only repair that I would trust to a bike tyre would have been the one that involved a proper plug, to a relatively small hole, in a relatively safe location in the tyre, fitted at the tyre fitters on a tyre that hasn't ever had sealant applied.

This is far from being a new tyre and far from being a secure repair. I think you have pushed your luck far enough to have run it for so long. If this fails again, it could be at high speed with a catastrophic deflation; the cost of a new tyre will pale into insignificance in comparison to what you may be risking!

Please tell me you'll book this one in tomorrow!

John.

Offline Leak

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Silver ;-) Trophy SE
  • City / Town: St Austell, Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 09:21:16 pm »
Hello carol, Sorry to hear about your mishap   :430:

A friend of mine bought a bike and without knowing the previous owner had used sealant on the rear tyre. When he went to get this replaced due to wear the mechanic found not only had it eaten away at the tyre from the inside but had also started to eat away at the wheel !!!! So i guess the longer you leave in the more damage it could do.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 11:54:07 pm »
I've used what you describe as the "ropey" things many, many times and ridden for hundreds, maybe even thousands of miles after sealing the leak.  But I would never run a tire that had been "slimmed" on other than an emergency basis.  I'd get that stuff out of there as soon as possible.  I'm amazed your TPMS still works.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline patches

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: PNW
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 12:46:22 am »
I have used the "rope things" several times but only for SMALL holes in safe areas on the tires.  Never had any trouble afterwards.  Was once told on the sly by a bike shop that if truth were known "we (shop guys) all ride on plugged tires, we just won't sell a bike with a plugged tire or plug it for you".

I did have a tire with a hole once that took several tries to get the plug to "take".  I replaced that tire immediately.

Offline Bajagrngo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE launch.
  • City / Town: Las Vegas
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 03:31:09 am »
The rope plugs are good for emergency roadside repairs and depending on where the hole was, can be used for quite a while...but slime?  New tire needed now
Tom Brennan

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 11:18:20 am »
I know we have covered this ground before but no way would I continue to use a tyre that I had had repaired. I carry plugs and slime and to be honest, Slime is the easiest and simplest thing to use.  I have the car can and it states it is tyre sensor safe (don't have them on mine so do not care).

I will not ride a repaired tyre other than to get it to the dealership for replacement. Sarah's life is worth more to me.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline TicketyBoo

• Trophy Pro
  • Happy Happy Pillion Girl
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Black :O)
  • City / Town: Mercia Marina, Derby
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 11:46:13 am »
Thanks for all your replies everyone. 

I'm thinking we'll get a repair kit and mini compressor as suggested ready for any future punctures.

The bike is now booked in tomorrow afternoon for a new tyre ready for a ride out on Saturday across the hills to Lancashire - hoorah !!

Carol
Trophy SE 2015 in Sexy Phantom Black!

tweedy-bunch