Loss of TES options by MNGreg
[Today at 12:09:01 PM]

Zoom R2E every Saturday at 13:00 hours BST (-1GMT) by GarminDave
[Today at 10:22:47 AM]

New to the forum and to a 2015 Trophy by Coconut
[Today at 10:20:34 AM]

What size is the screw? by ArcherAce
[Today at 04:36:46 AM]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: some clothing options  (Read 400 times)

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Trophy, 06 Tiger
  • City / Town: Gretna, LA
some clothing options
« on: May 21, 2020, 06:18:58 PM »

All,
  I was looking for an option aside from my leather and textile riding PPE.  My son lives in Seattle and told me about a company called "Tobacco".  They sell KEVLAR shirts with armor, and they sell KEVLAR pants - one has armor.   I bought some.  They are pricey.  However, it's so much easier in New Orleans to ride without all my jackets/textile clothing (I'm a safety freak) and conduct business and pleasure without having to change over all the time.  Most importantly they are really safe and met all my requirements.

Thursday boots, again, I wanted something to wear besides my SIDIs, and hit a home run with my new boots. I can ride with these stop and get a beer and use them at work.

I thought I'd share.
Big Country

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
Re: some clothing options
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 12:38:57 AM »
I am considering something similar for those very hot continental days, so will take a look at your suggestion.

Online baz1

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: basingstoke
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 01:07:17 PM »
I'm not sure i'd want to slide down the road at 50mph wearing something like that.

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 05:55:02 PM »
Baz,
  If you had a choice btwn textile, leather, or Kevlar (all with armor) the Kevlar wins hands down.  I don't know your riding history, or sliding on the pavement history.   The armor keeps you from bruising/possibly breaking a bone.  The leather will keep you from getting rasberries all over your body for a short time.  Textile is just an armor holder.  However, the Kevlar will hold the armor and protect your road rash/rasberry prevention better that the other two.  Watch the "Tobacco" video; they watch one with leather and textile.  Let me know your conclusions.   Remember, it's pricey---for a reason. 
Big Country

Online baz1

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 06:46:51 PM »
Had three offs in my riding career  and all were low side slides. Last off was a 50mph lowside on a French mountain pass. The bike, Wife & I slid for over 50metres down the road and ended up in a ditch with the bike resting on top of us. Neither of us had a scratch or graze. After we managed to get the bike out of the ditch we carried on the trip ( needed a lot of duck tape to keep the plastics together) Ill stick with my Rukka woven cordura AFT mesh textiles for summer riding.
I have seen the tobacco video and dont dispute its tough material, but dont know of many people who slide on the arse when they come off the bike. My issue with the tobocco kit is that the jeans & shirt dont seem to fasten together ( happy to be corrected), so in a slide, what would prevent the shirt riding up and exposing your lower back or sides?
Everyones choice what they decide to wear, trick is not to test it. Ride safe

Offline Merritt64

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Calgary
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 03:31:28 PM »
"Textile is just an armor holder."

While this may be true in some cases, it's not true for all textile gear.  You get what you pay for.  I too will stick with my textile gear and hope that I never have to use it.  YMMV.

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 01:41:49 AM »
Hmmm, never thought about the shirt and the pants not being connected.  Good point Baz! 

Taking some hits here. 

I have some pretty great textile equipment/PPE.  I agree.  It was my opinion that textile would rub out in a prolonged slide.  I may be wrong. I will concede that.  I was looking for a jean type outfit for beepopping around town-hence the Kevlar post.   I thought I would share.   Cheers BC
Big Country

Online baz1

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 05:18:54 PM »
We ride in what we are comfortable wearing and what we can afford. Hopefully it will never be tested. Ride Safe big country :028:

tweedy-bunch