Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Smartphone and the GPS Mount  (Read 567 times)

Offline Fireball

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Castelnaudary
Smartphone and the GPS Mount
« on: May 24, 2020, 10:51:37 AM »
Hi folks

After months of delay, due to both COVID-19 and other reasons, it looks like I will be taking delivery of my Trophy SE this week. So, it is time to figure out a few things. In the first instance I'd like to use a satnav app on Smartphone and I'm wondering how to rig it up the OEM GPS mount, with a USB cable to keep it charged.

Offline thogland

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wasilla
Re: Smartphone and the GPS Mount
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 05:59:21 PM »
The OEM GPS mount has a standard AMPS plate on it, so any mount will work (ex: RAM mount etc.). There's 12v in the left mirror pod for the GPS power feed that you can use - the "GPS connection kit" or whatever they call it is some wires to interface with what's in there - connectors etc. Or, you can make your own - connect a DC converter buck that does 12v-5v to it and run a wire out to your phone.

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lebanon ME
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 10:03:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by thogland [+]
The OEM GPS mount has a standard AMPS plate on it, so any mount will work (ex: RAM mount etc.). There's 12v in the left mirror pod for the GPS power feed that you can use - the "GPS connection kit" or whatever they call it is some wires to interface with what's in there - connectors etc. Or, you can make your own - connect a DC converter buck that does 12v-5v to it and run a wire out to your phone.

I was considering a more 'permanent' wiring solution, but went the route thogland mentions above in case I have a plug fail, or decide to change devices.  I am using and SAE pigtail that's attached to my battery (battery tender lead) with a battery tender brand SAE 12v to USB 5v adapter (cost like $12, at the Harley dealer of all places).  This contraption sits in the right mirror pod, so it's easy to unplug for winter storage when I hook up the tender.  I mounted a Tackform phone clamp to the OEM GPS bracket.
2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 10:57:49 PM »
Fathers Day will hopefully surprise me (well, not really since it was my idea) with an S-P Connect wireless phone dock with a Ram ball mount and a new case for my phone.  Actually a bargain since my old case is getting broken on the corners.  See how that works?  Almost as good as feminine logic! :745:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Fireball

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Castelnaudary
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 06:38:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by thogland [+]

Thanks thodland. AMPS is the magic word that unlocks understanding and point the way to plenty of choices.  :152:

Online RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy & Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 11:39:06 AM »
Thanks, that’s what I wanted to know too!
After 7 years of riding the Tiger 1200 (the Trophy's disreputable hooligan little brother!), in May 2020 it was joined by a Ruby Red and Gold Trophy too 😁

tweedy-bunch