Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Headlight continuously flickering at 1000 RPM idle speed (warm engine)  (Read 2634 times)

• Offline Mikedk   dk

• Trophy Member  ‐    33
    • Topic Author

Offline Mikedk

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Trophy biker in Denmark, northern Europe
    • Bike: Black Trophy 1200 SE
    • City / Town: Copenhagen
    Headlight continuously flickering at 1000 RPM idle speed (warm engine)
    on: May 27, 2020, 09.02 pm
    May 27, 2020, 09.02 pm
    Iíve read about this issue before, from other Trophy owners, but didnít really find a solution.

1000 RPM just seems to be a bit too low for the alternator in order to function correctly, as the flickering and a few ďfast signallingĒ completely disappears already from 1100 - 1200 RPM, exactly the same issue for my neighbours Tiger Explorer (similar engine parts as the Trophy).

Did anyone got this solved somehow?

I couldnít find anything in the service manual on adjusting the idle speed (perhaps I didnít look deep enough) - Iím aware it might require the Triumph service tool at the workshop and would also be glad to pay for this service, but I donít know if this is possible or if it is an unadjustable ECU control setting?

Iíve just read in another old thread, that it might help to clean or change the main fuse, Iíll try to do this in the weekend, but would like to hear if anyone got this solved?

Iíve got a brand new battery and all battery connections are clean, done 40K KM, only experienced issues at really low idle speed between 990 - 1000 RPM - no start problems, ďradio power offĒ warnings etc.

Thanks
    Mike

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2831

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Re: Headlight continuously flickering at 1000 RPM idle speed (warm eng
    Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 10.11 pm
    May 27, 2020, 10.11 pm
    When this zone fails. The sound system in the TTSE malfunctions the lights with engine running and idling, they flash at 1,000 RPM, sometimes the sound system also stops working for seconds when you change gears and the instrument panel light flashes at 1,000 RPM .

Do a very simple thing ...

Extract the battery compartment, you know, a single screw and pull it up, be careful not to remove the rubber it has to anchor its two pivots.

Just above the battery you have the bike's main 40A fuse.

Take it out of the fuse holder, if you have another 40A you change it, if you do not have another, you clean its two contacts, you can pass some sandpaper to the contacts, something fine.

Then with contact spray you put it inside the fuse holder and also the two contacts of the fuse. You insert the fuse into the fuse holder and move it to see if it has play. If it has a game, you take it out again and with a fine tornavis I tried to contract the contacts a little, do not overdo it either. And you already have it.

Once this is done and you have everything at hand, take out the positive and negative terminals of the battery and clean them well, put them back and surely, you will have the issue solved.

But I advise you to change the cable that goes from the battery, passing through the starter relay (solenoid) and ending in the alternator ...

The cable is this one that I put with the photo, it has work to change it, because the gas tank has to be removed.

The cost of that cable as you see it, with a fuse included, is around Ä 8 or Ä 9.

I will appreciate it if you tell me if it has solved the problem, you will notice it because the lights stop flashing, also the dashboard light as well as the radio works properly.

Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 10.28 pm by digital
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline Mikedk   dk

• Trophy Member  ‐    33
    • Topic Author

Offline Mikedk

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 10.40 pm
    May 27, 2020, 10.40 pm
    Thanks digital, I'll try to clean the contacts of the main fuse or if it looks to be in a poor state, then find a 40A replacement fuse.

If this doesn't help, I'll consider to change out the harness but as you mention, that requires a bit more work.

Regards
    Mike
    Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 11.34 pm by Mikedk

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2831

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 10.53 pm
    May 27, 2020, 10.53 pm
    Exactly, Mike. It is work to perform to replace that harness.

What I recommend is when you make a purchase of material, take advantage and also include that harness and when you have to remove the fuel tank, replace it.

Surely cleaning the fuse well or better to replace it, for the moment the problem was solved.

By the way, the ÷resund bridge that you have in Denmark is impressive. I passed that bridge twice last year.

• Offline Mikedk   dk

• Trophy Member  ‐    33
    • Topic Author

Offline Mikedk

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 02.33 pm
    May 30, 2020, 02.33 pm
    I simply changed the 40A main flat-fuse (on top of the battery), added a bit of contact cleaner and closed up again. Warmed the engine so it will run at approx. 1000 RPM at idle and - da da! the flickering completely disappeared  :046:

Even the signals are flashing at regular speed on idle, just by changing a fuse, that doesnít look bad, so it isnít possible to tell by the look but probably could be measured.

Thanks a lot, Iíll wait to do anything on the harness and also told my neighbour to try this this fix on his Tiger Explorer.

I bet you, if I had taken it to the workshop, they would had changed out the alternator and harness  :745: the flat-fuse only cost me 1.5Ä and 5 min. work on the bike  :152: hopefully this might also help others.

By the way, I live just beside the bridge at the sea side, personally I like the tunnels heading towards the bridge, letting the Remus exhaust come to itís full sound capability  :164: with no neighbours to disturb..

Thanks again!
    Mike
    Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 02.37 pm by Mikedk

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2831

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 02.59 pm
    May 30, 2020, 02.59 pm
    I'm glad it does. Thank you for telling your experience.

Yes, obviously in a workshop they would have charged you a few good euros. Either by doing nothing or by replacing parts that were not necessary to solve the fault

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2831

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 03.09 pm
    May 30, 2020, 03.09 pm

Camping at the campsite and in the background you can see the ÷resund bridge.

• Offline Mikedk   dk

• Trophy Member  ‐    33
    • Topic Author

Offline Mikedk

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 12.49 am
    May 31, 2020, 12.49 am
    Great picture, quite a long ride from Barcelona to MalmŲ in Sweden  :156: before getting to the ÷resund bridge you must have passed the long Storebaelt bridge, in the south of Denmark, also a nice ride and fun to experience how great the Trophy handles the side winds.

Iím still enjoying the non-flickering lights  :001: I hope others will read this, as there seems to be quite a few post regarding this issue.

Regards
    Mike

tweedy-bunch