Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Relay Identification  (Read 2150 times)

Offline rustynut01

• Trophy Member
  • Rustynut
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Oshawa
Relay Identification
« on: August 21, 2013, 12:58:15 pm »
My heated grips stopped working after my first service. The fuse is ok. I cant imagine that unplugging anything is part of the service, so i'm moving to the relays. Does anyone have the shop manual to id these? Failing this I guess it has to go back into the shop. The last time it was in the shop it was 3 weeks to replace the tank.  :012:

Offline Simons Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Re: Relay Identification
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 02:00:53 pm »
One of my heated grips stopped working the day after I picked up my bike.
Took it back in and my Triumph tech told me there is a design issue with the cable path in the grip and the cable had cut through.
They fixed it no problem but it might be something to check. I think they did a bit of filing to fix it.
Simon

Offline rustynut01

• Trophy Member
  • Rustynut
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 03:20:34 pm »
oh no, not the dealer again. I can almost say my ride has been in the shop more than my garage this summer.

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 02:30:27 am »
*Originally Posted by rustynut01 [+]
My heated grips stopped working after my first service. The fuse is ok. I cant imagine that unplugging anything is part of the service, so i'm moving to the relays. Does anyone have the shop manual to id these? Failing this I guess it has to go back into the shop. The last time it was in the shop it was 3 weeks to replace the tank.  :012:
Soooooooooo, "The last time it was in the shop it was 3 weeks to replace the tank". Did you ask them to check the heated grips that stopped working after your first service? Or was that your first service? In which case, the finger of guilt, might, maybe, but is circumstantial, point to the dealer leaving something unplugged.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 04:15:52 am »
I doubt it is a relay issue.  But when I get a moment I will look at the manual
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 10:41:08 am »
When you say "stopped working" .......

Is it the Instrument panel display that is not indicating when you operate the switch ?

Have you tried operating the switch and waiting for a while to see if the Grips do actually heat up,
even if the Instrument Panel display is not showng ?

I ask because we have seen other SE owners report that the Instrument Panel indications
for Heated Grips ( & Seats ), need to be enabled in the Menu, ( that the Dealer has access to ).

I wondered if it was possible that during your first service this setting got inadvertently disabled,
and and just needs re-enabling ?

Or maybe there's another setting in the Dealer menu, that enables / disables the Heating circuit as well as the Display ?

Worth discussing with the dealer ?

Offline rustynut01

• Trophy Member
  • Rustynut
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 11:01:29 am »
Hi coconut, there is no heat and there is no display. My hands got wet on a ride (no gloves on) so I went for the heat. Nothing. As this is not a safety issue I'm sure the shop will release the bike to me if they have to wait for parts. When it went in for the tank, I wasn't allowed to have my bike back until fixed. Its going in next week, unless I find a relay problem. In the time I've had it , I have to say it a enjoyable machine.

tweedy-bunch