Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Thinking about doing a self guided four-corners ride for retirement  (Read 2448 times)

• Offline rpeters549   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    750
    • Topic Author

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lowell, Or
    Thinking about doing a self guided four-corners ride for retirement
    on: May 30, 2020, 06.05 pm
    May 30, 2020, 06.05 pm
    So, I have been fully eligible to retire for the last 18 months and plan to pull the plug in 3 1/2 at most at the tender age of 55.  But, three bad days in a row can change things should that happen...  Just not really in a position to pull the plug quite yet.

I have spoken to the wife and she is good with it.  I would do the 'official' ride, but don't really care about the swag - I can take my own pictures.  Planning to go solo so I do not have to worry about slowing someone else down, pushing them more than they want, etc.  I have a son in Ohio, a daughter in SC, a cousin in MA, and a half sister in FL., so those would be stops.

If I do this (Have yet to decide.  Finances, etc.  So brainstorming at moment and thinking, not deciding yet about anything) I am thinking of doing it with a 'for sale' sign on the back with a link to a CL ad or something.  If anything speaks well about 'is it a good bike?' it would be something like this as only an idiot would take an undependable bike on a 3-4 week trip covering around 9-10k miles.  Upon return the bike goes away and I hang up my riding boots.

I/we used to tour, but she likes it a little more comfy these days so the bike is essentially just for me.  For the last 6-7 years the family bike has been primarily work transport with occasional fun rides.  I have had two deer strikes (one in '05 on the GoldWing when I hit a forked horn, and one in 2016 when the deer hit me on this bike).  Plus, no trailer to tow with this one.  Maybe another 'Wing/trailer combo when this bike goes, but more than likely not.  I have a car I am building and can focus more on that (improvements.  I hope to have it back on the road by the end of this July) as far as tinkering and such.

Thoughts?  If not I understand.  I love riding and have around 250k bike miles on me at this point, am still physically healthy/fit/able and mentally alert, but thinking it might be best to allow this to exit my life after a last ride I have always wanted to do.  I've done Yellowstone, Utah, Death Valley, etc.  Some of those trips more than once. 

Who knows, maybe even join up with a person or two for a night of visiting and a meal.
    Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 06.11 pm by rpeters549
    Year round rider here!

• Offline HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1276

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Re: Thinking about doing a self guided four-corners ride for retiremen
    Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2020, 01.34 am
    Jun 01, 2020, 01.34 am
    My thoughts are simply these. You seem far too young to be hanging up your helmet. The time on your bike is special, it reinvigorates you, allows you to be alone with your thoughts, meaning your refreshed when you return to loved ones. Surely the "good" wife can see a much happier husband when you return from rides. And in the end a "happy wife is a happy life". So in other words, keep riding to keep her happy. I'm 72 years young and have no plans to give up riding anytime soon :046: :046: :028: :028:
    Last Edit: Jun 01, 2020, 01.36 am by HACKLE
    HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2725

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2020, 09.12 am
    Jun 01, 2020, 09.12 am
    HACKLE, you are right and while you are able to drive a motorcycle that weighs more than 300 kilos. I think it is a wonder and a pleasure to continue riding this bike.

It has given me and continues to give me many joys and some disappointments, just the basics of any motorcycle on the market.

But I see that you have very clear ideas after that great trip and being like that, I don't think you change your mind.

But if you decide to take that step, I hope you will continue to be here with all of us and that from time to time you will share the experiences you have had with your Trophy.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1475

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2020, 12.41 pm
    Jun 01, 2020, 12.41 pm
    First of all, I want to congratulate you in advance if you can make your retirement happen at the age of 55. I was able to retire on my 57th birthday, and seven years later, I have never looked back.

Secondly, regarding your proposed four corners ride, I would recommend that you take U.S. Hwy 2 across the Northern Tier of the Country, and if that is what you decide to do, you will only be an hour away from me as you make your way across Northern Wisconsin. Make sure that you leave a little extra time, and I will be happy to show you a good days riding while you are here.

Thirdly, I understand the importance of quitting while you are ahead when it comes to a potentially dangerous hobby like motorcycling, but like Hackle, I would advise you to wait a little longer until you decide for sure. I, like you, have been the victim of a runaway deer at 60 mph, and the three months I spent trying to sleep in my Lazy Boy recliner whilst recuperating from the numerous compound rib fractures, broken collarbone and punctured lung were no fun, but it didnít take me long to realize that there would be a big void in my life if I didnít keep riding. My Wife, on the other hand, who had been a riding partner for 37 years, decided that her riding career was at an end. You might want to consider purchasing a Point Two Air Vest like I have? Anyway, given that your Trophy has depreciated to the current value, my advice would be to hang onto it for a while, especially as you will find yourself with a lot of new free time if you do indeed retire. If you still feel the same way after a year of retirement, you could always sell the Trophy and get a convertible. Thatís what my Wife did!  :008:

• Topic Author

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2020, 01.52 pm
    Jun 01, 2020, 01.52 pm
    Appreciate the thoughts, fellas, very much!

Like I said, I am not really sure at this point. I love riding for sure and at work I am kind of the go-to person for anything MC related simply because I have done it so much for so long in so many weather conditions.  I think the reality is I am putting together a few different scenarios with no commitment to any of them, let alone in their current form.

I am very much a realist and have been accused of being practical to a fault at times. I don't see the wife ever riding much again so if we travel it will be in a cage or with the small camp trailer. So why keep it if I am not saving fuel daily on a back and forth to work?  But again, not making any rash decisions. I love solo rides.

I'd love to see some roads in Wisconsin! I've never made it that far north to speak if. When I was stationed in Kansas I drove to Iowa/Nebraska area most weekends, but not further.

This is a community, a great one, for sure!

Year round rider here!

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2725

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2020, 02.22 pm
    Jun 01, 2020, 02.22 pm
    *Originally Posted by rpeters549 [+]

I am very much a realist and have been accused of being practical to a fault at times. I don't see the wife ever riding much again so if we travel it will be in a cage or with the small camp trailer. So why keep it if I am not saving fuel daily on a back and forth to work?  But again, not making any rash decisions. I love solo rides.

Well, your motorcycle can always be ready, and when it's retired, you can keep it on target and clean up for a walk for small purchases, a coffee or lunch, and then head home happy and proud to have a good machine.

• Topic Author

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2020, 05.31 pm
    Jun 06, 2020, 05.31 pm
    I think at this point I am going to begin planning/prepping for the ride, and take the selling/hanging up when the time comes.

Prior to the ride I will of course do a massive prep- tires, fluids, valves, filters, etc regardless of mileage.

I have done some touring and love watching the world go by.  Doing the official 4CT one spends too much time on the interstates.  My hope/plan will be mainly state highways (two lanes) with some interstate.  For example hwy 26 cuts across the middle of the state and is a beautiful ride!  Many other states have similar.  A previous poster mentioned hwy 2 in the upper mid-west, which is one I was scoping out when I started thinking about this.

It is not age or physical reasons for maybe giving it up.  I am not a fan of owning and not using.  If I had a rare classic car some people would complain about loss of value because I will drive it.  Probably a lot.  If I own a bike (and continue to pay insurance, maintenance, etc) then I would need to use it.  One consideration is I do not have a garage.  I have a carport is all so while protected, it is far from temperature/humidity controlled.

I am building a fun project car right now that will be used fairly often.  It's rare, just not valuable.  :745:

Now to start doing some preliminary planning (stops for sights, etc).
    Year round rider here!

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2725

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    Reply #7 on: Jun 06, 2020, 05.40 pm
    Jun 06, 2020, 05.40 pm
    That trip sounds good.

How nervous with the preparations!