Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Tool Kit and Tire Changes  (Read 2338 times)

Offline ibpete

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Chula Vista
Tool Kit and Tire Changes
« on: August 21, 2013, 08:17:47 PM »
I bought my TT used so I don't know if the tool kit was complete.
There are a couple of MM wrenches, a screw driver, and some hex key wrenches.

The main thing I want to know is about tire changing tools.
I have my own tool kit and I added what it looked like I needed to be able to remove wheels.

I checked the OM on how to remove/replace tires and it said "take it to the dealer".

Is this really the case? I get a flat on the road somewhere and I'm supposed to have it towed to the dealer?!

So far, I'm really impressed with the bike but, unless I'm missing something, this is ridiculous.

Please tell me I'm mistaken.

thx
Mike Langford [aka IB Pete] IBA#341
I really hate it when I commit to running a yellow light and the guy in front of me chickens out.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Tool Kit and Tire Changes
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:30:23 PM »
You can cat inky take the rear wheel off without a dealer or special tool! Took me about o5 minutes. Undo 5 nuts undo the exhaust mount bolt, flex the exhaust out of the way and drop the wheel off the 5 studs and roll backwards.

Haven't tried the front yet but I can't see why you would need a dealer for that either.

The tools in the toolkit won't be sufficient though. There isn't a socket to undo the nuts in there.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:51:22 PM »
I get a flat on the road somewhere and I'm supposed to have it towed to the dealer?!

Unless you're going to carry a spare tyre with you (  :012: )  if you don't want the hassle
of having the bike recovered to a garage if you have a flat, the other alternative would be
to try a puncture repair, and carry a repair kit plus mini electric air compressor with you. 

Cropbiker started another thread about puncture repairs : The curse of South Wales ...

Offline ibpete

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Chula Vista
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 08:59:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
if you don't want the hassle
of having the bike recovered to a garage if you have a flat, the other alternative would be
to try a puncture repair, and carry a repair kit plus mini electric air compressor with you. 
I carry all the stuff to repair a flat. But for when the tire has to come off...
There is a helluva difference between taking a wheel for repair and taking a bike for repair.
It's pretty easy to find a good Samaritan to carry you to the next town with a wheel. Not so much for the whole bike.

Thanks to all for the info on the tool kit.
Mike Langford [aka IB Pete] IBA#341
I really hate it when I commit to running a yellow light and the guy in front of me chickens out.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 08:11:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by cropbiker [+]
You can cat inky take the rear wheel off without a dealer or special tool! Took me about o5 minutes. Undo 5 nuts undo the exhaust mount bolt, flex the exhaust out of the way and drop the wheel off the 5 studs and roll backwards.

Haven't tried the front yet but I can't see why you would need a dealer for that either.

The tools in the toolkit won't be sufficient though. There isn't a socket to undo the nuts in there.
so you don't have to remove the silencer as the manual suggests?
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 06:34:37 AM »
I managed to leave the silencer on. I just undid the mounting bolt and then gently pulled it away enough to pass the wheel through.

Mind you it was much easier with 2 people. One holding the silencer , the other moving the wheel.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

tweedy-bunch