Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Lithium Battery - Convince Me  (Read 10329 times)

• Offline tdragger   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    582
    • Topic Author

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Fredericksburg
    Lithium Battery - Convince Me
    on: Jun 08, 2020, 01.31 pm
    Jun 08, 2020, 01.31 pm
    My 2015 Trophy is due for a new battery before the rally season begins.  I ride in competitive scavenger hunt rallies and it is imperative that I have a reliable battery to start the bike and momentarily power all of my farkles (2 GPS, iPad, phone, aux lights, heated gear, etc.).  The bike has to start every time.

I'm interested in the LiPo battery offerings primarily for the weight savings.  The Trophy is a big-boobed girl (ie. top heavy) and 7 lbs off the top would make a difference.

Convince me that the reliability is there for running a Lithium battery.  I'm most likely to puchase this one as I've had good luck with Scorpion Batteries in the past: https://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/lithium-iron-batteries/sstx20hq-fp.html
    -------------------------------------
    15 Triumph Trophy SE (2019 IBR)
    16 Triumph Trophy SE (2021 IBR)
    IBA #609

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2725

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Re: Lithium Battery - Convince Me
    Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2020, 02.48 pm
    Jun 08, 2020, 02.48 pm
    It would be hard for me to believe that there is someone with a TTSE that has more things connected than what I have connected to my TTSE battery.  :008: :008: :008:

I carry this type of GEL battery and it is a wonderful battery.

Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline tdragger   us

• Topic Author

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2020, 03.47 pm
    Jun 08, 2020, 03.47 pm
    The only reason for interest in the LiPo battery is for the weight savings. 7-8 lbs off the top of the bike will have a significant difference I'm thinking.
    IBA #609

• Offline Merritt64   ca

• Trophy Pro  ‐    100

Offline Merritt64

• Trophy Pro
    • City / Town: Calgary
    Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2020, 04.06 pm
    Jun 08, 2020, 04.06 pm
    I run a LiFePo on my dual sport where the weight savings is even more significant.  I have had it on that bike for 2 years now without a problem.  If there was a problem it would be much bigger on that bike than the Trophy.  I can easily be 60 kilometers from civilization out in the middle of nowhere and without a functioning battery, I'm walking a long waaaay.  It's been so reliable that I have installed one on the Trophy too.  I'll ride in weather from 0 to 35degrees C as well. 

Check out Anti-Gravity batteries.  They make a model with a "Restart function".  It is a built in jump start.

I have a Shorai on the Trophy and an Anti-Gravity on my KLR.  I will put them on all my bikes until a better technology comes along.  YMMV.

• Offline GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1306

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2020, 04.52 pm
    Jun 08, 2020, 04.52 pm
    I have a Lithium battery.

I have not noticed the weight saving whilst riding the bike, I'm the biggest weight problem at 110kg that the bike has.

I too like my farkles.  I have led hazard warning lights I use when I'm working cycle events and often when I have a situation leave the LED flashers running for long periods with the bike not running.  With the lithium so far it has never failed to start enthusiastically after prolonged periods whereas when I had the Lead Acid battery it sometimes struggled or would not start on the battery.  There are normally 13.7 volts available with my lithium battery.

So far so good.

I did buy a dedicated charged for it but no real need for that as my standard charger has done the job when I inadvertently drained the battery.

On balance I think it was a worthwhile addition to my bike.
    Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline Canes1   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    640

Offline Canes1

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2017 Phantom Black
    • City / Town: Fayetteville, GA
    Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2020, 01.56 am
    Jun 09, 2020, 01.56 am
    I do like the weight savings idea...especially on the top end and if were in the battery market would be interested in the one you posted! :

Replaced the stock exhaust with a carbon fiber PipeWerx and dropped 11 lbs.!

Might not notice weight savings, but it's there!  :084:

• Offline tdragger   us

• Topic Author

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2020, 02.46 am
    Jun 09, 2020, 02.46 am
    *Originally Posted by Canes1 [+]
    I do like the weight savings idea...especially on the top end and if were in the battery market would be interested in the one you posted! :

Replaced the stock exhaust with a carbon fiber PipeWerx and dropped 11 lbs.!

Might not notice weight savings, but it's there!  :084:

I've already replaced the exhaust with a Trident, however, I really like the look of the PipeWerx you installed.  Awesome.

I'ma thinking that I'm gonna try the LiPo battery.  It may not be the Scorpion but it will be something similar (they are probably all made in the same Chinese factory anyway).
    IBA #609

• Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro  ‐    346

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
    • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
    Reply #7 on: Aug 07, 2020, 07.01 am
    Aug 07, 2020, 07.01 am
    I swapped for a lithium battery in June, and haven't had any issues. I know that you know I've got at least as much farkle draw as you do.

Also, literally the day I installed it, I was messing around and left the key on...for 3 days. I charged it using a standard charger because I didn't have a lithium jobber...monitored it regularly so as to not kill it, and as soon as it had enough charge in it to register voltage, I jump started the bike and went for a 50 mile ride. It's been 100% fine since.