Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Lithium Battery - Convince Me  (Read 1354 times)

Offline spl383

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 2013
  • City / Town: Carrollton/TX
Re: Lithium Battery - Convince Me
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 02:01:30 AM »
I put in a Stinger lipo from batterystuff.com 2 years ago.  It saves a few pounds, no need for a trickle charger and I like that it has dual posts.  I use one side for the main harness and the other for accessories.

Offline paulpaul

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lacombe, AB
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 06:11:10 PM »
Here is a good video for making an informed decision.
Paul
1983 Honda V45
1993 Honda CBR 1000F
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 09:17:51 PM »
Apart from the high cost of these litium batteries, I haven't gone down that route because my old Optimate charger isn't suitable for those,....maybe that's something else to know/consider before you buy one. :002:

Offline RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy & Tiger 1
  • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 07:22:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by paulpaul [+]
Here is a good video for making an informed decision.

I was just about to add that video! 😆

Problems with fires, when charging beneath zero degrees C and very low genuine amp hours, would be the killer for me.

Offline Dan66

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kansas City metro
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 04:15:01 PM »
I don't think I'll be switching to Li-Ion.  The cost, charging characteristics and AH availability don't overcome the weight difference.  With 6.3 gallons of fuel up high, saving 20 lbs on the battery is just not that big a deal for me.  Really have to compare all the specs and how you ride to determine if it works for you; it just doesn't for me.  If i was that worried about weight I'd never put my trunk on.

Offline darmah59

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: SALINE
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 06:25:21 PM »
Lithium is basically always a bad idea, a lot of cost, reliability issues all to save a couple of pounds on a 700lb bike. If you look up consumer reports on independent battery tests they come  back and recommend the Walmart brand, everstart. Made by Johnson  Controls, product support at every walmart in the country and they are inexpensive and from experience are very reliable.

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 06:34:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by darmah59 [+]
Lithium is basically always a bad idea, a lot of cost, reliability issues all to save a couple of pounds on a 700lb bike. If you look up consumer reports on independent battery tests they come  back and recommend the Walmart brand, everstart. Made by Johnson  Controls, product support at every walmart in the country and they are inexpensive and from experience are very reliable.

There haven't been any of the issues people are talking about for years, if you use a quality battery, including cost. I bought a LiFePO battery a little while back and it was $30 more than the AGM battery I was going to use. More than one Honda motorcycle comes with a Lithium chemistry battery as the OEM battery. Is Honda in the habit of pushing unproven, unreliable technology, especially where safety and reliability are involved? Not really.

Obviously everyone should use whatever they want to use, but don't cite inaccurate/old information to justify it. Consumer Reports has never done a comprehensive test of Lithium chemistry batteries in motorcycles. The Everstart recommendation did not include any Lithium testing, and as such, is not a valid source to cite when discussing lithium batteries...but yes, they are good legacy technology batteries.

On a side note, Johnson Controls hasn't made WalMart EverStart batteries for years. Most are made by Exide, and a few are Delphi. Not that it matters...just sayin'

Offline darmah59

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: SALINE
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 07:02:24 PM »
Some bike MFG use Li batteries and they have tested them and have tuned the charging system to accomodate. But on a older, heavy touring bike it makes no sense price wise, performance wise or weight wise. I have seen many bikes stranded as their Li battery went belly up and they had to buy a new one.

The reference to CR was only about using conventional lead batteries not comparing one chemistry to another.

As you mention use what you want, but for the price and potential issues the gain is just not worth it. I have worked on advanced battery products and the charging system needs to be engineered to the battery chemisty or it just will not work properly. Not to mention Li will spontaneously combust in air, more than likely either the battery or the material in the battery comes from China.