Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Lithium Battery - Convince Me  (Read 2624 times)

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
Re: Lithium Battery - Convince Me
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2020, 03:29:15 am »
*Originally Posted by ndursun [+]
I have been using my lifepo4 battery for 6 months and on the second month I one day left my ignition lock on the parking mode. Few days later when I tried to start the bike there was none voltage. I uninstalled and tested to charge it with my conventional charger with no luck at all. Luckily I had also purchased a lifepo4 charger.
It started with a repair mode for few hours and then started the normal charge cycle.
When it was fully charged I reconnected it to the bike and all is well since then.

So,be warned that you need this kind of charger to wake it up when the battery is fully discharged.

I did the same thing...2 days after I bought the battery. :172:

If you are careful you can use a standard charger to wake them up...I did. Note that your bike doesn't have a LiFePO-specific charger. I hooked mine up to my old charger at 1.5A and checked it for standing voltage every 20 min or so...left it on for an hour and change, and that was enough to start the bike. Then I went for a 100 mile ride, and it's been fine since. That was about 8k miles ago.

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2020, 03:34:54 am »
*Originally Posted by darmah59 [+]
Motorcycle charging systems are not generally tailored to lithium battery chemistry so they slowly discharge over time and one it will stop and likely you will be stranded.

Fiction. My Super Tenere had a LiFePO battery in it for 65,000 miles, running at times heated gear, grips, and seat, (2) sets of driving lights, (2) GPSs and a phone, radar and audio amp/mixer in the trunk, and more, and it maintained the proper charge the whole way. I'm not 8.000 miles into my current LiFePO battery, and I've even killed it by leaving my key on once, for 11 days. I charged it for an hour, and it's been perfect for 7950 miles since.

We can see that you don't like the technology, and that's fine. Don't make stuff up that simply isn't true. There is nothing about a properly working standard charging system that will "slowly discharge the battery over time."

Offline Joe S

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Oceanport
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2020, 10:12:22 pm »
*Originally Posted by darmah59 [+]
As you can tell I am not a fan of Lithium batteries in cars or bikes for many reasons. They just dont make any sense economically or performance.  As for lead acid batteries being obsolete dont think so. Most hybrid cars have lithium batteries for power, but a lead acid for the engine compartment. Why because the need a cost effective, reliable backup for the electronics. Most of the worlds supply of Lithium comes from China, once the demand kicks up prices will skyrocket and Lithium batteries will be even more expensive.

There are no improvements to be made on lead acid batteries and they are slowly being phased out...BMW now offers a lithium battery as an option on their new bikes..many more will soon follow Im sure.

They provide  more power in a smaller package...which is perfect for motorcycles where storage room is often times at a premium

Offline thogland

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wasilla
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2020, 05:05:56 pm »
*Originally Posted by Joe S [+]

They provide  more power in a smaller package...which is perfect for motorcycles where storage room is often times at a premium

Not true, actually. They are more effective at providing power, but the ratings are "equivalent AH". Example - MMG makes a bunch of these and actually posts real aH capacities. Their 6aH battery is a direct replacement for 16-24aH lead batteries, their 4aH is a replacement for 9-14aH, etc. If you dig at Shorai, they will eventually tell you that (for example) their 18aH battery uses 6aH cells, but since it's much more efficient their 6aH provides the same effective power as a SLA 18aH battery. This is one way the lithium batteries are lighter - there's less actual battery-guts in there.

Same area in their FAQ also explains the reasoning behind why they do this. Nothing wrong with this, it's just worth understanding.

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
  • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2020, 06:40:10 pm »
It's interesting to me, reading this thread, mainly because I don't have a dog in this battle.
I have gotten myself to the point that I can see a benefit to an AGM battery in a motorcycle, but I have yet to see a personal benefit to spending the actual $$ for Lithium. Only speaking for myself, I always keep all of my batteries on smart chargers, and in the 25 years since I finally got wise, I have never had a battery fail. I generally replace them when they get to be 6 or 7 years old, only because the cost of a breakdown on the road far exceeds the benefit of keeping the old battery longer. With that scenario in mind I don't see any benefit to spending more for a battery that I would likely replace on the same schedule anyway.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have read that one shortcoming of Lithium batteries is a lack of CCA's when starting in very cold weather, one thing we have no shortage of here in the North Woods, but on the other hand, that might have come from a Lithium basher...  :187:
Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2020, 07:48:53 pm »
Ask 2slow about his experience with Lithium batteries.  Not bad, just different, in cold weather.  My understanding is that in cold weather you have to turn the ignition on and turn on the lights (or some other current draw) to cause the battery to "warm up" somewhat to get full CCA.  I have no idea what the temperature threshold is, but I'll bet someone on this forum will be glad to let us know. :028:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
  • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2020, 08:43:30 pm »
I would appreciate hearing 2slow’s experience with Lithium batteries.
Don’t know so much about his current definition of cold!  :008:
Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2020, 11:15:53 pm »
Or ANY Texan's definition of cold! :745:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

tweedy-bunch