Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Help me make a Buy Decision!!!!! Please!!!  (Read 2162 times)

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Help me make a Buy Decision!!!!! Please!!!
« on: August 23, 2013, 05:43:47 pm »
Hi, Jan Miller here from Superior, WI, ride 20K+ annually, own ST1300, KLR650, Kaw Z1, Suz TS185   ( and wish I had 47 more!)

Contemplating a '13 Trophy SE.  Dealer has made a reasonable offer.  Trading an '07 Honda ST1300, a great bike... but, as we all know, a new mistress always beckons...

Being a Geek, I want all the answers up front..  Wading around the forums looking for info, but thought I'd ask for input here as well...

So if any can answer directly or otherwise it'd be MUCH appreciated.

So, my concerns, in descending order of importance:

1+!:  ISSUES with TES, TTC, computer???  I'm An Old Guy, 64,  and all this one-wire electronic jazz turns me on, but at the same time worries me about failure.  My old Z1 you can fix with a paper clip and bubble gum...  Anyone had any failures/problems??

1+:   I had a BMW R1150RT.  Final drive failed TWICE...  Any issues with this New To Triumph shaft drive????

1.     Carrying capacity of the Trophy is a lot less than the ST, fairing pockets, saddlebag capacity, etc.   Nothing to be done, but thought I'd whine anyway.

2.    Concern about Saddlebag closing mechanism and wear and water seal.   The bags and topcase have that weird 'clicky' push'em mechanism, nothing to draw them closed, and appear a bit 'loose'.  Anyone have any mechanical issues or water leakage problems....   Ditto the Topcase...  Hate the idea of my grundgies falling out and sticking to the windshield of the gramma behind me.

3.  Seat comfort 400 miles plus.   How's it stand up, sore butts???    I had my ST seats modified by Spencer and they are good for 800+ miles...

4.  I have a Givi E52 topcase.  No mount available.  Looks like one could be fabricated easily.   Anyone do so???   Triumph's TopCase looks ok but, oh the cost!!

5:   Installed aftermarket heated grips, but used the on-board controls to run them???  I've used the cheap stick-on-wrap type for years...  $35...

6.   Mounted a Zumo 550???   Is there a RAM adapter for the Clutch reservoir available??  Other mount options, I see T sells an adapter that appears to mount in the middle of upper fairing??

Others of lower importance:

Anyone put a luggage rack on top of the Triumph Topcase??

Anyone using the LOW Seat?? , fit, comfort, comments???

Can anyone provide better pics of TANK BAG, zippers, map window..  Dealer doesn't have one in stock, pics on Triumph's site are limited.

Availability of Maintenance Manual.

Lowered rider pegs, Highway pegs???

Thanks for any help sent my way!!
Jan...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 05:53:30 pm by janfmiller »
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: Help me make a Buy Decision!!!!! Please!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 06:39:18 pm »
First I have had no problem with the electronics(or anything in fact)  but I have only done out 5000 miles.  Most of this was touring round France two up with a lot of luggage some of which was in the pouring rain.  I did get the box liners from triumph but packed things like laptop outside the liner and had no leaks at all.  I have a sprint 1050 and Tiger 955 with a giving that I transfer between and have put adapter plates on them.  I would have thought it was easy to fit the plate to anything.  I use the lower seat height now.  I use to use the higher position but changed to lowering found it easier when two up with suspension set to two up.  I have left it loweven though all solo at the moment.  My knees do ache a bit on low afet about 8 to 12hours?  Which we regularly did in France.

Seat was quite comfortable (bettr than my sprint with gel foam) but there is a lot about it on this forum that I see you have read.

don't know about highway pegs.

I was told that because of the final drive problems on other bike triumph put extra bearings in and beefed up the drive.  Time will tell I suppose.  I have of had a problem with carrying capacity but this is because it is a lot better than the other bikes that I have used for touring before.  My pillion likes that.  In fact she likes the whole bike experience.

It seems that the display formthe heated grips and seat has to be enabled so not sure how easy it is especially for after market grips.  Some people have had dealer issues when they fitted the triumph ones, but I think a lot of that is education.  Not sure about manual but I did get the dealertool so iI could connect to the security although it is protected so you have to be careful.

Hope that answers some of the questions to start.

John

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 07:21:14 pm »
John,
Thanks very helpful!!  By 'dealertool' do you mean some sort of diagnostic device???  May I ask where you got it???  Thanks again, Jan...
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 09:18:04 pm »
Dealertool is the name of the company but it is a observed tester lead and software.  I have not tried it yet and compared to the ones I have for sprint and tiger it is limited but the security follows the new laws and is locked and tamper proof.

Offline Caoimhín

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 07:25:20 pm »
Jan, one of my previous bikes was a ST1300 and so I can answer some of your questions.

Computer/electronics - no problems, and info screen legible!
Final drive - no problems.
Comfort - way better.
Seat - way better, no need for aftermarket.
Handling - better.
Economy - better.
Luggage capacity - about the same.
Weather protection - better.
Clutch- lighter.

In short, I don't think there's any area where a Pan is better and I for one wouldn't go back to one.
Caoimhín

tweedy-bunch