Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Rear tire replacement & tpms  (Read 1995 times)

• Offline Cross-Country

• Trophy Member  ‐    35
    • Topic Author

Offline Cross-Country

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 Blue Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Cathedral City, City
    Rear tire replacement & tpms
    on: Jun 19, 2020, 08.10 pm
    Jun 19, 2020, 08.10 pm

I have a 2016 Trophy Se that still has the original tires front and rear with just under 10k. Will be taking a close to 2k  ride in about 10 Days. Thinking or replacing ing the frt and rear tires. Right now my TPMS system is working just the way it is suppose to. I see that the monitors can become very troublesome. I do not have any problems with actually changing the tire, but this the first bike I owned that has this TPMS system. What do I need to know and do with the tire sensors before I attempt to replace the tires?   Any help would be appreciated.    Cross-Country :152:

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2954

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Re: Rear tire replacement & tpms
    Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2020, 08.51 pm
    Jun 19, 2020, 08.51 pm
    If the sensors have never been replaced with a battery. The ideal would be to replace the batteries of both tires, since they have been 4 years and probably, they would begin to warn that the batteries are low in voltage.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline rpeters549   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    750

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lowell, Or
    Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2020, 08.26 pm
    Jun 20, 2020, 08.26 pm
    Just be sure the shop knows they are in there.  Mine are 100% original still with 30k on the bike (2015).

Definitely new tires before a long run like that!  Even just the age of the tire makes them more than likely harder than they should be.  My guess is they are at least 5 years old.

The last thing you want is an on the road tire purchase/replacement who knows when or where.
    Year round rider here!

• Offline Lord_Mykel

• Trophy Junior  ‐    2

Offline Lord_Mykel

• Trophy Junior
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Casa Rio Estates
    Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2020, 12.06 am
    Jun 21, 2020, 12.06 am
    I just replaced my tires by myself and was also a little worried I would damage the TPMS sensors. No worries though. Just be mindful that they are there and you shouldn't have any problems. Removing and mounting the tires was no problem with a Motion Pro BeadPro Tire Bead Breaker and Lever Tool Set.

Balancing the tires proved to be a bit of a hassle. The rear wheel has a chamfered hole making a static balance on axle stands impossible. So I took the wheels to a bike shop for balancing and was told that their machine couldn't fit the rear wheel either.  I took it to an automotive tire shop and they were able to balance it on a car machine. I am a little concerned that they stuck on 2.5 oz of wheel weights. Seems a bit much and I wonder if their machine was accurate.

My advice would be to go ahead and mount the tires yourself. It's not difficult. I would recommend using something like the Counteract Balance Beads to balance the tires though. Apparently the balance beads are perfectly fine to use with TPMS systems. However, you would have to plan to use the beads when mounting the tires. You cannot just dump the beads through the valve stem because you have the TPMS monitors. The balance beads have to be dumped in the tire before you inflate them while the tire bead is broken.

Good Luck.

• Offline Cross-Country

• Trophy Member  ‐    35
    • Topic Author

Offline Cross-Country

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 Blue Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Cathedral City, City
    Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2020, 05.05 pm
    Jun 22, 2020, 05.05 pm
            I want to thank every one for the feed back on the TPMS. I am beginning to get a general idea how the system works, and what it takes to maintain and service the system. If some one could tell me how to replace the batteries in the valve stems I would appreciate it. I also would like to add that this the first and last bike I buy that has this system it is to fragile and and very expensive to repair I would rather just check my tire pressure once or twice a week before I go for ride. Cross-Country  :062:

• Offline rpeters549   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    750

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lowell, Or
    Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2020, 05.16 pm
    Jun 22, 2020, 05.16 pm
    Search TPMS battery replacement. There is a good write up thread there on it.
    Year round rider here!

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2954

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2020, 06.29 pm
    Jun 22, 2020, 06.29 pm
    It is not as fragile as it seems, believe me it is not, it is a system that does not fail, the only thing is that, like any electronic device that works with batteries, it obviously must be replaced.

There are not many electronic devices that your batteries last approximately 4 years, this will depend on the climate of your area.

Once you have this system installed, you don't want to go without them again.

Not only that you check tire pressure two or three times a week. Or every time you go on a trip.

We have to think that we ride 2 wheelers and this is one of the things that Triumph, well deserved, installed on his motorcycles.

Not only are you monitoring your tire pressure, but for whatever reason you have a loss of air, no matter how small one of your tires is, this will alert you so you have time to slow down and not have a accident.

It is very easy to replace the batteries, as rpeters549 has told you in the search engine of this forum, you will find a lot of information about it and any questions, no matter how small, we are here to help you.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.