Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Uneven Tyre Wear  (Read 4137 times)

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    622
    • Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
    • City / Town: Rowley Regis
    Uneven Tyre Wear
    on: Jun 27, 2020, 09.50 am
    Jun 27, 2020, 09.50 am
    Good Morning my learned friends, can any of you lot tell me why this has happened.
    I will add that i lowered the front and rear suspension, on close examination of the front forks, i found the R/H fork to be 1mm higher, could this be the reason that the tyre has worn out on the edge.
    I have since had a new tyre fitted, the man at my tyre shop said it's not a defect with the tyre, and has to be a fault with the bike, Also I will say that both the front and rear was fitted at the same time, and both have done in the region of 6 thousand miles in that time, not much compared to some of you, but seeing as the bike only gets use weekends, and a trip across Europe  lol

Paul Wilko

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2966

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Re: Uneven Tyre Wear
    Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2020, 12.06 pm
    Jun 27, 2020, 12.06 pm
    Wilko, it's a good topic for debate! The causes can be many.

- Incorrect tire air pressure.

- Drop the bike in the curves, more on one side than the other.

- Irregular asphalt (inclined in curves made opposite to the curve).

- Misaligned tires.

- Loaded the motorcycle more on one side than the other (did not offset the weight on both sides).

- You travel a lot in the city and especially at roundabouts.

- Suspension problems.

- Tires mounted with the opposite direction of rotation.

- Also according to the driving mode of each pilot.

- It also depends on the type of tire we carry.

There may be many more causes that do not come to mind at this time.

Due to that milliliter of difference that there is between the right part of the suspension, greater, it should not affect. But...

In his case, it is totally the opposite of ours, since he drives on the left side.

Usually both sides of the tire wear me down equally.

Before dropping the bike on the curves of the road, delaying the curve of the road as much as I can also gives me the option of having more visibility before entering the curves of the road.

Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline nervouswreck   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    776

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 TTSE
    • City / Town: SWFL
    Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2020, 01.14 pm
    Jun 27, 2020, 01.14 pm
    The best most even wear I ever  got was the original STs.  I believe this was due to me being very gingerly with the bike because it was brand new.  After 68000 miles and 6 sets of tires I have since never gotten what I would call perfectly even wear.  I have tried Perelli,  Michelen and Dunlop.  I have tried different air pressures both front and rear.  I now believe it is more my riding style than anything else albeit air pressures are important.  I tend to get aggressive in the curves when I feel it's safe to do so and usually the trailing edges of the tread wear greater than the leading edges.  I have had the same issues with my RTs in the past so I doubt the bike is at fault.  Once on a 10 day stay in West (By God) Virginia I went back home with completely worn out set of brand new tires.  The Trophy is a rather heavy bike with a lot of weight on the front and it handles very well so the tires take a lot of abuse if you're having fun.  Only my 2 cents worth.

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2966

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2020, 01.22 pm
    Jun 27, 2020, 01.22 pm
    There is a lot of discussion about it.

They say that they do not give it much importance, since it is a very frequent thing. I do not know, I do not know.

There are people who comment that the BMW RT the uniformity of the tires, may be due to the Boxer cylinders or even the crankshaft. Others bet that it may be due to the gimbal-bearing bikes.

I do not agree with those gossip. But I wouldn't put my hand on the fire either ...
    Last Edit: Jun 27, 2020, 01.24 pm by digital

• Offline GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1349

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2020, 02.30 pm
    Jun 27, 2020, 02.30 pm
    Wilko to me it looks like wear.

Tyres that do their job wear out, evenly or sometimes not so evenly.  There are a plethora of reasons why they wear and why it may look uneven.

My experience is if its round black and holds air it is a good tyre.  Made by a known manufacturer of heavy bike tyres, like Pilot Road 4GT's, and all the better.

I would ride, wear 'em out, replace with new - repeat.

Just my $0.02 but nothing to worry about IMHO.
    Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    622
    • Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
    • City / Town: Rowley Regis
    Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2020, 03.23 pm
    Jun 27, 2020, 03.23 pm
    I have to say that I'm a bit anal about tyre air pressure, a lot of the time I ride without the panniers, only if I really need them, then they are fitted.
    And the tyres was fitted correctly at the shop, I hope this tyre lasts, or does the mileage as the out going one has, I'm more than happy with the tyre, they instill so much confidence in the dry or wet, they really are unbelievable, the next set will be the PR5's........these are the PR4 GT, the correct tyre for the bike, hence the GT.   
    Paul Wilko

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2966

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2020, 04.21 pm
    Jun 27, 2020, 04.21 pm
    Since Pilot Road 4 tires came on the market, I have been using them, after Pilot Road 5 came out, I tried them and they did not convince me, I went back to Pilot Road 4 and they are the ones I currently carry.

I honestly prefer Pilot Road 4.

• Offline HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1338

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2020, 01.19 am
    Jun 28, 2020, 01.19 am
    Wilko, a couple of questions first.
      Were they the PR 4 GT's or the standard PR 4's?
      What tyre pressure are you running?
      The reason I ask is that the standard 4's don't have the heavier construction that the GT's have. Designed for heavier bikes like the Trophy. Secondly I've found that running 36 psi in the front tends to uneven wear and scalloping like your front tyre shows. I'm now running 40 psi in the front and got 17,400 kms. out of the last set of PR4 GT's I had fitted. At present I've got 9,380 kms. on the present set of PR4 Gt's. Can't see them reaching 17 kms. that's for sure.
      I've found our outback roads in Australia wear tyres quicker than the suburban ones. Has to do with the harsher surface that's used in construction [for longer wear life, less maintenance]. Hope this reply assists you in some way. Cheers.  :821: :158:
    HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

tweedy-bunch