Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: TES WARNING LIGHT  (Read 501 times)

Offline timonbik

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: NIAGARA
TES WARNING LIGHT
« on: June 28, 2020, 11:00:57 PM »
Ok, bike has recently developed an issue with the TES system.  Turn ignition on and TES light flashes for a few seconds and then goes out and message "TES Adjustment complete" is displayed.  Start bike and TES light starts flashing and message "Warning check owners manual" is displayed.   If I turn the bike off and cycle the ignition chances are that on restart it will operate properly but occasionally takes a 3rd try.   Once riding all is good....
 Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks, Tim
2013 TRIUMPH TROPHY SE
2013 VICTORY CROSSROADS CLASSIC
2013 VICTORY JUDGE
2006 VICTORY V92 TOURING CRUISER
2008 MOTO GUZZI BREVA 750

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
Re: TES WARNING LIGHT
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 12:32:07 AM »
On my previous Trophy the same problem went away when I replaced the battery.  I had a feeling it was nearing the end of its useful life.
Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

Offline timonbik

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 01:19:54 AM »
Battery is less than a year old but will check connections tomorrow to make sure all is clean and tight!!!
2013 TRIUMPH TROPHY SE
2013 VICTORY JUDGE

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 07:34:19 AM »
The TES Damper adjustment motor is calibrated each time the Ignition is switched on,
and takes 2 - 3 seconds, so it would appear that is functioning normally.

Additionally, every 50 Ignition ON cycles, the TES Pre-Load calibration takes place,
with the TES Flashing at twice per second and "Calibrating" displayed on the Instrument Panel.

It may be that this process is failing, which could be due to a low voltage battery
or poor battery connections, but may also indicate a problem with some part of the suspension.

After confirming the Battery and its connections are good, check to see if there are any
"Diagnostic Trouble Codes" ( DTC's ) stored in the ECU.

This Topic explains how to do that and contains a downloadable document explaining
the meaning of any DTC's that are found :

Servicing Data, Reference Info. & DTC ( Fault ) Codes -
Scroll down to reply #8 "Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC's ) / Fault Codes"

I would then move on to check the condition of the Rear Suspension Unit
lower mounting Bearings and Sleeves, as described in this Topic :

Servicing the rear suspension (Lower Drop Link and Drag Link)

If the Drag Link isn't free to pivot on the Bearings, due to corrosion, this could inhibit
the Calibration process, and in severe cases of seizure can result in the Drag Link fracturing !

Cheers  :821:

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 08:19:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]

It may be that this process is failing, which could be due to a low voltage battery
or poor battery connections, but may also indicate a problem with some part of the suspension.

...and along similar lines, do you keep your bike on a smart charger between uses ?  If not, it may be current drain that lowers the battery output that causes the error message.  I suggest this because I think you were implying there is no problem when the bike has had a bit of a run and the alternator has thrust some power back into the battery.

If you are happy this is not the problem, then as Coconut suggests, the problem could lie with the unit itself.
Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

Offline Dan66

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kansas City metro
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 09:38:37 PM »
I agree with everything stated, let me tell you of my experience

I always keep my bike on a tender, never have any trouble when starting the bike at home.

A few times when I have been on a trip I have had trouble.  I feel the issue is that the system tries to do the calibration immediately after starting and if the bike sat a day or two then I seem to have trouble.

Sometimes this occurs in a failed calibration but twice i have started it and apparently it wasn't "done" with the last calibration/adjustment and finished or failed.

I chalk all that up to low voltage.  It always corrects itself if I ride for a while and then restart the bike.

I have now gotten in the habit that if I know I need to make an adjustment to the suspension (adding a passenger) I do that adjustment before I shut it off from the previous ride rather than do it at the start of the next ride.  No more trouble...

Back to it.  Battery and voltage.

Offline timonbik

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 02:27:06 AM »
Cleaned the battery terminals and tightened everything up.  Started the bike and light flashed for what seemed like eternity then it went out.  Checked for codes and got the code for no codes.   Haven't an opportunity to take it out for a good test ride however I immediately noticed my headlight no longer flickers when I rev the engine so thinking battery connection may have been the problem.
2013 TRIUMPH TROPHY SE
2013 VICTORY JUDGE

Offline timonbik

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 09:52:33 PM »
Went out for a 100km ride yesterday with several stops.  Bike worked as it should so here is hoping that this was all it was.
Thanks for your guidance.
Cheers, Tim
2013 TRIUMPH TROPHY SE
2013 VICTORY JUDGE

tweedy-bunch