Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: 2 months and 4k miles  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Canes1

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Phantom Black
  • City / Town: Fayetteville, GA
Re: 2 months and 4k miles
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 03:24:38 pm »
Thanks for the video Coconut. I remember seeing my bike online, when it was for sale and noticed, in a pic from the rear, the panniers were crooked  :187: and thought they were damaged! Upon further investigation I found out about the DLS and worries were put to rest and understood why this system would be a benefit to possible wind turbulence and weight shifting.
Is Triumph the only manufacturer to use this type of system?

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 04:08:07 pm »
Good explanation video.  The biggest thing I found to have a significant impact on dealing with crosswinds was the windscreen.  I can only speak from my previous Trophy (Coconut and I both transitioned from the previous model Trophy and I had mine twenty years).  When I had the standard screen the Trophy did not handle particularly well in strong crosswinds.  Strangely, when I fitted an XL Clearview screen ( a barn door by comparison to the standard screen!) the bike was far more stable in strong crosswinds.  Someone did explain to me why this phenomenon should exist and it all sounded very plausible.

Anyway, the short story to all this was to ask if you are using the standard screen or has it been changed?  I use the touring screen, which I think is wider rather than taller but I have no problems with it at all.  I still have the original unused stock screen (just in case  :016:)
Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

Offline mdwest7

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 TTSE
  • City / Town: Kingsport
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 04:21:15 pm »
It's currently the standard screen...so recommendation would be a XL Clearview screen?  Can you point me in a direction to look at purchasing?  Any vendor better than the others?  Etc..
Mike

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 04:25:27 pm »
*Originally Posted by mdwest7 [+]
It's currently the standard screen...so recommendation would be a XL Clearview screen?  Can you point me in a direction to look at purchasing?  Any vendor better than the others?  Etc..

No, sorry, I inadvertently confused you.  I was referring to the XL CLearview on my previous Trophy and the effect it had in settling the bike in strong crosswinds.  I currently ride (amongst others) a 2017 Trophy which has the bigger touring screen.  The 2017 bike has no issues with crosswinds.

I was just wondering if you had a non-standard screen on your bike.  You answered that.  Cheers
Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

Offline Dan66

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kansas City metro
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 04:58:16 pm »
Keeping in mind there could be a significant difference due to buffeting based on speed and traffic density.  The screen size, shape and height will have an impact on both crosswind and buffeting behavior.  Some of the crosswind issues are just because there is no ability for wind to pass through the bike (side to side).

I see the most buffeting issues at speeds in excess of 60 mph and can be significant in excess of 80.  Actual speed not indicated

Offline mdwest7

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 TTSE
  • City / Town: Kingsport
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 05:12:44 pm »
What I've noticed is the buffeting hits around 80mph...that's about the speed I'm at when I transition from a 2 lane interstate to a 3 lane...makes sense that the wind is bouncing around from the traffic density....it's all coming together now, lol.
Mike

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lebanon ME
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 11:18:46 pm »
Just another guy who came from a heavier cruiser (Harley Electraglide) checking in.  I do feel like the Trophy is a little more susceptible to buffeting in the 70-80 mph range than the glide was.   I mostly notice it due to 'dirty' turbulent air coming off other vehicles, even smaller cars.  This was something I never really paid attention to on the Harley, but it seems to make a big difference on the Trophy.  I have attributed it to the big solid surface area of the Trophy, coupled with it's more 'sporty' handling characteristics.  Smaller inputs generate bigger responses compared to the somewhat 'lumbering'  Electraglide.   The lighter weight is probably a factor as well. 
2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

Offline tcabq

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2020, 02:54:18 am »

Hello everyone.

Here are some thoughts on crosswind stability.

1.  A lower windshield position may help.

2.  You might try adjustment of the Triumph Electronic Suspension (TES). Page 56 of the the owner's handbook warns "After adjusting the suspension, operate the motorcycle in an area free from traffic to gain familiarity with the new settings."  My current personal preference is MODE (damping) SPORT and LOADING (preload) 1-UP.

3. As pointed out previously in this thread, panniers must be balanced. The length of the rod assembly that connects the two link arms should be adjusted using the turnbuckle and locking nut.

4.  Make sure tire pressures are correct. A web site suggests that touring tires may track straighter than sportbike tires in crosswind gusts.
https://www.thedrive.com/reviews/29104/best-motorcycle-tires

A Triumph tire selector chart (Triumph_Tyre_Selector_US_23.pdf) can be downloaded from the following link:
https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/offers-and-services/tyre-selector