Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: 2 months and 4k miles  (Read 1452 times)

Offline DrewKD88

• Trophy Junior
  • Let's Ride!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 17 TriumphTrophySE
  • City / Town: Pasadena, Ca
Re: 2 months and 4k miles
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 12:28:52 am »
Most buffeting can be fixed with a different Windscreen / Helmet combo. Most neglect the Helmet but that is a huge piece of Aerodynamics. I have 3 aftermarket screens for various uses and conditions. I have the National Cycle V Stream shields. They cut through the wind rather well but can also act like a sail in high crosswinds. Stock screen is garbage. I'm tallish so I need different options. When I tour I use the OEM tank bag and that seems to help a lot with winds when it's packed with heavier items. Keeps weight in the front and pushes that front tire down.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 12:55:31 am »
The newer tractor trailers are a LOT more aerodynamic than the old ones and do not generate as much turbulence around them.  Especially the trailers with the skirts underneath them.  I passed a lot of them on the trip to North Carolina two weeks ago and there was a substantial difference when passing/being passed by the newer trucks.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline mdwest7

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 TTSE
  • City / Town: Kingsport
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2020, 01:31:49 am »
Lots of good advice here... I'm getting used to the "Shaky-ness" of the front.  My VTX 1800 was a lead sled at over 800lbs and it didn't budge at all.  The lighter weight of the trophy, the huge fairing catches wind...I've lowered the windshield to the lowest and that helps a lot.  Still can get a little shaky between 80 - 90mph when that little extra is needed.

Overall, hands down, best bike and ride I've ever had and I'm getting more used to it every day I ride.  90 mile highway commute one way gives a lot of time to "figure things out".  All my riding now is windshield all the way down, normal and luggage.

Love my bike!
Mike

Offline Clipper

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: HUNTINGTOWN
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 02:22:35 am »
I purchased a 2015 in July with 1600 on her. We are up to 4800 now. I used to have a 93 Goldwing so I understand what your talking about.  The only time I feel buffeting is at high speed with the windshield fully extended or when I catching air from other vehicles. It is very solid and planted. I have had no issues with being blown around. I had one day with strong winds but cut right through it. You might want to lower the shield a bit. This bike of mine is a mechanical marvel and it amazes me every time I ride it and I don't want to get off unless I've gone a couple hundred miles. I just picked a gel/air seat cushion for my low ride/height seat maybe that will bump it a couple more hundred. That's the only issue I'm having

Offline LarryJa

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Cedarbrook, NJ
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2020, 06:40:57 am »
I decided, a long time ago, to only use the top box when riding double.
I've have big,/sport tourers for decades, now, & learned that those top boxes present a lot of "sail area" in crosswinds & from big truck side buffeting.
However, when riding double, the passengers weight adds enough stability that side winds are no longer a problem.
The panniers hold enough, when solo riding, to fit whatever I need. Leaving the top box on the self also keeps the ctr. of gravity lower too.
When riding double, the passenger always likes the top box's backrest pad.
With the se, I've even taken it a step further. When two up, I fit a Triumph passenger "comfort" seat(she loves it!). When solo, I've fitted the original passenger seat with a utopia rider backrest(I love it!).
Just my $0.02.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 06:45:14 am by LarryJa »
A good man once told me, "Don't sell your bike. It's your soul."....

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2020, 12:04:56 pm »
Hi Mdwest7,

Eat more cake, ballast required!

Seriuosly I had a mate with a turbulence problem so much so that he traded the bike for another brand.  His dealer tried all the fixes that have been mentioned here.  My friend was actually scared to ride in strong winds it effected him so much.

Not at all my experience but I do relax when the bike gets jittery in turbulent winds and those times because I use cruise control a lot I have very little input and the bike sorts itself out, and I get a twitchy bottom.

Being 110kg helps me on the ballast front......
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE