Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: power for garmin - am i too simple..  (Read 2972 times)

Offline timbovfr

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se,
  • City / Town: gloucester
power for garmin - am i too simple..
« on: August 25, 2013, 08:59:42 am »
Need to fit the power supply for the Garmin - can I just plug lead directly onto the power supply (as per the instruction A9828009) and then directly into the sat nav, or is this then giving 12v to sat nave and will cook it?
any advice welcome
Trophy SE (blue), Street Triple (Orange!!) & Fazer 600 (black).

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: power for garmin - am i too simple..
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 02:02:40 pm »
The Power cradle cable that comes with the Garmin devices CAN be connected directly to a 12v battery if you like. That way they will always supply power to the Garmin when you put it in the cradle with the ignition on or not.

The recommended way is to connect to a source that comes on with the ignition so that you greatly reduce the risk of running battery down. I think the 12v power socket in the glove box is the one most people use but I can't swear to it as I got the guys at Performance Triumph Cheltenham to fit it for me as part of the PDI.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline timbovfr

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se,
  • City / Town: gloucester
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 02:45:39 pm »
thanks for comment - have used a smaller usb charger in the glove box with a garmin lead - only works with engine on which is good

not the easiest of jobs to get cable from mount (fitted by perf triumph pre collection) to the glove box - lots of swearing but got there!
Trophy SE (blue), Street Triple (Orange!!) & Fazer 600 (black).

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 03:01:50 pm »
Well done, glad I could help!

:001:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Sneezy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy se
  • City / Town: Carlisle
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 06:10:21 am »
 :172: seems my 660 has been wired direct, lazy  :172:
Soon going to wire my autocom into the bike and speakers, so ill look at rewiring it myself.  :192:
As the late, great Freddie Mercury sang.
"Get on your bike and ride"

Offline chrisb1

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 06:19:30 am »
there is a specific dehigned power supply for the garmin which is velcro taped along with the audio to the frame inside the fairing, this is the topic of other posts including the instructions for using it. this connects to a switched feed and saves any messing. There is a triumph part you can use to plug it in to be honest i cut the plug off and spliced it. Works faultlessly and by using the audio jack (taped as per suggestions also on here) you have the nav facility which means you only get the sat nav - useful if you are in heavy traffic/major twisties in unfamiliar territory where you want only directions.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 10:25:59 am »
To get at the Power & Audio plugs, you generally have to remove the Fairing.

If you are a contortionist with tiny hands and knuckles that aren't susceptible to being skinned,
it is apparantly possible to get at them by fiddling around through the mirror pod aperture etc,
but I find it best to remove the fairing and then you can see exactly what's what !

This is where the Audio and Power connections are located ( fairing removed ! ) :

There is a "How To" guide on removing the Fairing in the "How To" section.  :169:

tweedy-bunch