Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: I-Pass  (Read 4754 times)

• Offline TomAdis

• Trophy Member  ‐    29
    • Topic Author

Offline TomAdis

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Brighton, MI
    I-Pass
    on: Jul 08, 2020, 06.03 pm
    Jul 08, 2020, 06.03 pm
    So, next week I will be going on a ride from Ann Arbor to Wilmot South Dakota.  This means riding through the Chicago area.  I received my I-pass gadget yesterday.  I know there are some older threads about this but was wondering if anyone had newer advice.

Best place to mount the I-Pass?
    Can I test it before my ride?
    What happens if it doesn't work?  Do I get a heavy fine?

Also any advice on riding through the tolls and Chicago in general would be appreciated.

My route will probably be 94W > 294N > 290N > 90 onwards to Wisconsin, Minnesota and South Dakota.

• Offline dandrumheller   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    197

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Pro
    • City / Town: Lebanon ME
    Re: I-Pass
    Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2020, 07.38 pm
    Jul 08, 2020, 07.38 pm
    Not sure if it's the same physical 'gadget' as my NH EZ-Pass unit, but I have the EZ-Pass velcroed to the front underside of the battery cover panel in the fairing.  Totally out of sight, and reasonably secure unless someone is carrying a 5mm allen wrench.  Have had no issues with toll reads going through the booths here as long as I'm reasonably close to toll booth speed limit. (25mph). 
    2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4913

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2020, 10.48 pm
    Jul 08, 2020, 10.48 pm
    I have a TexTag for all tollways in Texas in my jacket pocket and it must read, I've never had a separate bill for tolls after I've been on one with the Trophy.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline sociald13

• Trophy Member  ‐    25

Offline sociald13

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 1998 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Chicago
    Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2020, 11.44 pm
    Jul 08, 2020, 11.44 pm
    As a Chicagoland resident, I recommend you go to the website and add your licence plate number to the site. When you pass the toll spot if the ipass device doesn't get triggered , the toll way will look at your plate number and see if it's I'm the system. When they discover it is, they will just deduct the toll amount. I keep my pass in my jacket pocket as I switch use the transponder on 2 bikes and 1 car. Rarely do I mount them on the bike.

You can also get some Velcro and stick it on your bike if you want to be safe but as mentioned I typically just keep it in my pocket and ride on.  Depending on when you ride, I'd be happy to try and ride w you part of the way to get some miles on the old '98 through chicagoland.

• Offline TomAdis

• Trophy Member  ‐    29
    • Topic Author

Offline TomAdis

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: Brighton, MI
    Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2020, 12.41 am
    Jul 09, 2020, 12.41 am
    *Originally Posted by sociald13 [+]
    As a Chicagoland resident, I recommend you go to the website and add your licence plate number to the site. When you pass the toll spot if the ipass device doesn't get triggered , the toll way will look at your plate number and see if it's I'm the system.

EXACTLY what I wanted to hear.  When I signed up, they ask for your license plate number.  I feel much more comfortable now.

I keep my pass in my jacket pocket as I switch use the transponder on 2 bikes and 1 car. Rarely do I mount them on the bike.

I don't like to carry items on my body for safety reasons.  Was thinking of just putting it in either the left hand fairing storage, tank bag, or the under seat storage bin.

Depending on when you ride, I'd be happy to try and ride w you part of the way to get some miles on the old '98 through chicagoland.

Plan is to leave around 0600 EST Wednesday the 15th.  That should get me to the Gary IN area around 0900 CST.  I'll be doing an IronButt type ride, so minimal stops.  I will post my SpotWalla link to the group before I leave so you guys can follow me.  If you have time, look for the guy with the high viz yellow jacket and helmet on a blue Trophy.

I've been keeping an eye on Chicago traffic via Google maps and it looks like the traffic is not as bad as pre-virus times.  What would you say?

• Offline ZShyster   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    332

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
    Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2020, 12.07 pm
    Jul 11, 2020, 12.07 pm
    This is the question for all motorcycle riders in Illinois and I suspect all states that use EZ Pass.

Currently in Illinois if you go through 5 tolls in a month and your device is not seen, they will bill your account via your license plate at the I-Pass rate.  After the 5 they start charging you the non-I-Pass rate which is double.

I found two easy places to mount the device.  I had a Givi top box and I mounted it on the inside front of the top cover as if it was on a windshield.  The Givi box is thin and the I-Pass read just fine through it.

The second place is on the windshield.  Those sticky velcro tabs work very well and you are assured that the I-Pass will be read properly.  If you are concerned that it will be stolen while parked you can pull it away from the velcro and take it with you.  I never worried about it because if I discovered it missing, I would just report it stolen to I-Pass.  How many tolls could the thief rack up before I discovered it. 

The pocket plan does not work well.  I was told to do this by a tollway employee but it never was read consistently.

Just my thoughts and experience.

Ride Safe
    ZShyster

• Offline dandrumheller   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    197

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Pro
    • City / Town: Lebanon ME
    Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2020, 09.12 pm
    Jul 11, 2020, 09.12 pm
    Similar deal in NH - we get 35% discounted rate for using EZ-Pass.  A license plate read instead of a transponder read gets us charged normal rate plus, I think, a $1.75 fee for the added paperwork - there is no official plate reading option that I'm aware of. 

I had poor luck with reads in my jacket pocket as well on my other bikes so went to bike mounted.  On my Electraglide, I had the transponder on the inside front edge of the saddlebag lid (similar to your Givi box setup).  Worked fine when I was solo, but got inconsistent reads when 2-up.  I added velcro to the windshield and put the transponder there when 2-up after a while.  I assume this was due to the passenger's leg blocking the 'view' of the transponder.   Have you had any experience 2-up with your Givi mount?

*Originally Posted by ZShyster [+]
    This is the question for all motorcycle riders in Illinois and I suspect all states that use EZ Pass.

Currently in Illinois if you go through 5 tolls in a month and your device is not seen, they will bill your account via your license plate at the I-Pass rate.  After the 5 they start charging you the non-I-Pass rate which is double.

I found two easy places to mount the device.  I had a Givi top box and I mounted it on the inside front of the top cover as if it was on a windshield.  The Givi box is thin and the I-Pass read just fine through it.

The second place is on the windshield.  Those sticky velcro tabs work very well and you are assured that the I-Pass will be read properly.  If you are concerned that it will be stolen while parked you can pull it away from the velcro and take it with you.  I never worried about it because if I discovered it missing, I would just report it stolen to I-Pass.  How many tolls could the thief rack up before I discovered it. 

The pocket plan does not work well.  I was told to do this by a tollway employee but it never was read consistently.

Just my thoughts and experience.

Ride Safe
    ZShyster
    2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

• Offline ZShyster   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    332

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
    Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2020, 10.51 am
    Jul 12, 2020, 10.51 am
    dandrumheller,

I never ride two up so I can't help you there.  I started using these to mount them recently,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EZ-PASS-Holder-EZ-PASS-I-PASS-I-ZOOM-NEW-Mini-Toll-Tag-eZpassClip-BLACK/162495980670 

I drill two holes through the center of the suction cups and through my windshield or top box and insert two small screws and nuts (with a drop of locktite). I then insert the I-Pass and for additional security put one or two very thin wire ties around the I-Pass and mount.

I have multiple motorcycles and each has its own I-Pass.

Ride Safe
    ZShyster