Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: starting woes  (Read 467 times)

Offline kinghoow

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 tt se,silver
  • City / Town: cape cod,ma
starting woes
« on: July 09, 2020, 08:20:03 PM »
good morning or good night
went to go on a ride and would not start,saw immobilizer light stayed ,on so starter switch was dead !
checked all safety gizzmos,kick stand,clutch,codes on screen all o's .. checked plugs in front of battery all good.
tested battery was only 12.4 on tender,took tender off and when ignition turned on to start was only getting11.4 and it being a 2014 bought a new battery.
installed new battery and yes light went out so took a hour ride ,this morning suited up and same thing.light on and nothing from start switch,any ideas as a friend is coming tommorow morn he is an electrition and offered his help,
thank you
eric

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: starting woes
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 08:41:12 PM »
Have you checked the Audio System Software version ?

If it hasn't been updated it could still have the early "buggy" version
where the Audio system would intermittently fail to shut down
when the Ignition was switched off, and continue to draw power
flattening the battery.

To check the Version you have :

Turn the Ignition ON ( but don't start the engine ) and switch the Radio OFF
( Volume all the way down to Minimum, Mute and Off ).
Turn the Ignition OFF, wait for everything to shut down, then turn it ON again
without starting the engine.
Press and hold the "P" button until the "DIAGNOSTICS" menu is displayed.
Scroll to the S/W VERSION item, and press Select.

The latest Version is 1.04E - If yours is Version 1.04A this NEEDS to be updated.

Any Triumph Dealer can do this - and if your Trophy has been to a Triumph Dealer
for any Servicing or Maintenance work since the Update was released,
which was around November 2014, they "should" have already done it,
without any additional cost.

Unfortunately, despite Triumph circulating the information to its Dealers
and despite the Dealers supposedly checking for any Updates each time
they work on a bike, many seem to be oblivious to this Update,
resulting in the updates not being done.

Cheers  :821:

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 08:41:51 PM »
Apparently I'm the only one that has this scenario, but when I turn the key on mine won't start with the front wheel dead ahead, but if I hold in the starter switch and rotate the bars left to about 11 o'clock or right to about 1- 1:30 it spins right up and starts and runs without issue.  I'm thinking it's the wiring issue that it's going in for soon.  The closest dealer that sells Triumph also sells Ducati and has a 25 day backlog for service work.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline kinghoow

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 08:58:34 PM »
thanks ,had the audio updated in 2016 when i bought it. also tried my spare key as maybe the chip stopped working ,also with clutch in moved bars back and forth while pressing starter button,i have not contacted a dealer yet about the recall,last fall had to get tpms  in tire programed and it is a  150 ish miles round trip to closest dealer,so i'm waiting for cooler weather,thank you for getting back to me quickly
E

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 09:06:27 PM »
Ruling out the Audio Software then,
Check the Battery terminals are clean and tight at the Battery,
and check the Main Fuseholder - Pull the Fuse out and check
for any signs of corrosion inside the Holder.

If all that is good it might be a bad connection at the Starter motor end,
or of the Battery Ground cable to the engine Ground point.

If all those are good, then the Ignition Switch wiring issue is another
possibility, which your electrician friend should be able to check.

Cheers  :821:

Offline kinghoow

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 09:21:06 PM »
thank you,will give that a go!!!
will update here,goodnight
E

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 10:11:35 PM »
If the immobilizer light illuminates, you could have a problem with the transponder antenna or immobilizer.

The first thing is to check for a DTC trouble code.

It would discard the two antenna cables. But ... you never know until I'm checking.

Tell your friend to remove the connector just below the immobilizer.

Remove the glove box, you only have two screws, one on the outside and one on the inside of the glove box. The outer screw is slightly longer and brighter than the inner screw.

Once the glove box is out, you can see the immobilizer, just below the glove box's internal screw, the immobilizer is in, and underneath is the connector that goes to the ignition key.

The connector has 7 cables. In the photo I mark the two contacts to verify.

They are a white wire and a very fine brown wire and come through a harness separate from the large harness that goes to the ignition key, but they also go to the ignition key and the mentioned connector.

Between those two cables there should be an impedance of the transponder antenna coil between 7Ω and 13Ω.

If this is verified, the failure persists. I would advise you to take your motorcycle to the dealer because it may be necessary to reprogram the motorcycle keys. I have seen cases where communication between the key and the immobilizer has sometimes been lost.

I am sorry that your dealer is so far away, but if the Triumph Diasnistic tool is not available you will not be able to know if the keys are encoded correctly.

It could also be an immobilizer problem, but I don't think so, rather it could be a false contact of some ping from the ECM connectors. Since the ECM goes to the immobilizer.

Luck!!!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:31:36 PM by digital »
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 10:49:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by trophied [+]
Apparently I'm the only one that has this scenario, but when I turn the key on mine won't start with the front wheel dead ahead, but if I hold in the starter switch and rotate the bars left to about 11 o'clock or right to about 1- 1:30 it spins right up and starts and runs without issue.  I'm thinking it's the wiring issue that it's going in for soon.  The closest dealer that sells Triumph also sells Ducati and has a 25 day backlog for service work.

They definitely have a problem with the wires from the famous ignition key harness. But in your case, the immobilizer light doesn't come on, the wires get cut or stretched, it's the wires going to your motorcycle's headlight and peripherals and when you move the handlebar, the wire makes contact.

This wire comes from a 20 amp fuse.

When it fails, the brake light, position light, and horn fail on one of the two wires supplying the above and comes from a 15 amp fuse.
It should be repaired immediately if you don't want to have problems and you have to call the crane ...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:58:17 PM by digital »
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.