Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Fuel Requirements / First Service  (Read 17775 times)

Offline Maassen

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Chilliwack
Fuel Requirements / First Service
« on: August 25, 2013, 09:29:14 AM »
Ok so the salesman told me to use high octane fuel like 95 or 97 OCTANE yet the owner's manual states 91 RON, I believe this to be a British/European rating that is the same as 87 OCTANE in North America.

So in a 2013 Triumph SE, is it Ok to run on 87 OCTANE?

As well the Motorcycle Service handbook states that the first scheduled service ti due at 800 KM yet the dealership stated to bring the motorcycle in at 1000 KM, it only an additional 200 K but which is correct?

Cheers!
Michael
Cheers!
Michael

Offline Mad Dog

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
Re: Fuel Requirements / First Service
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 10:07:57 AM »
Michael,

Salesperson advised me to run bike on premium 95  - 98 RON (Australian rating) but from personal experience the bike ran hot in slow moving traffic.  Since then I have been running on 91 RON with no noticeable effect on performance or fuel consumption.  I also had my first service close to the recommended 800K's but I believe there is bit of leeway in this regard.

Only my personal observations / experience, others, with greater experience, may be able to advise.   Also I will avoid ethanol at all cost (another personal preference)
No such thing as bad weather - just inappropriate clothing.

Offline Tonto

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 10:53:37 AM »
Whether in the Subaru XV (car), Harley (stock motor with high flow air cleaner and high flow street legal mufflers),  or the TTSE, if the petrol station I rock up at has 98 octane , that's what goes in the tank. Otherwise, I put the highest octane available. With 98, all vehicles feel more responsive and I travel further.  The Triumph dealer said to use 95 or higher in the TTSE, that 91 can be used if 95 is not available, but the TTSE won't go as good.

Always ride in control.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 03:20:31 PM »
Your salesman was absolutely wrong. Most of the new Triumphs, including the Trophy, were designed to run on regular.  I can tell you from personal experience, (both on my 2011 Thruxton and 2013 Trophy) as can several others on this forum, that running premium will have a negative effect.  Poor starting, rough idle, etc.  and of course wasted money on using an expensive fuel which is actually hurting your bike.  The subject has been discussed before and you can find solid examples by doing a search
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 05:47:43 PM by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Bajagrngo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE launch.
  • City / Town: Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 03:00:41 AM »
My dealer says run it on regular gas. US. First service was at 500 miles
Tom Brennan

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 03:42:26 AM »
Oh yeah, forgot to address the service.  If I were you, I'd take it in right around the 800 KM mark.  That is what is called for.  Make sure ALL the oils are changed.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Tonto

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 07:16:51 AM »
I suppose we have our individual experiences with different grades of petrol, and it may well depend on the make up of the fuel in different countries and/or the additives used by difference manufactureres.  While the owner manuals for the vehicles I mentioned above may well state that regular petrol can be used (even the crap E10 - 10% ethanol), my personal experiences have been in line with what is actally stated in the XV manual - which is, that vehicle will run on regular, but will run better with premium.   Thank you for the feedback, I will experiment more with the TT on my next few long trips.     
Always ride in control.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 04:29:17 PM »
Tonto of course others may have different experiences and I can't speak to other bike brands.  However I can testify from personal experience that when Triumph recommends regular, it does so for a reason.  Triumph recommend premium for my 955ST and that is what it runs best on even though in the wilds of Canada and Alaska I had no choice to run as low as 86.  I had a 2011 Thruxton for which regular was recommended but I didn't read the manual.  I road it about 1000 miles on premium only and it ran progressively worse and got to the point it almost wouldn't start.  while on a 1500 mile trip I called my dealer from the roadside and the first question he asked was what grade fuel was I running.  Upon his recommendation I switched to regular and after 2-3 tanks the bike was running like a champ.  When I got my Trophy I started using premium, again because I failed to read the manual.  At the Trophy's first stumble I realized my mistake, read the manual and switched to regular.  Again an almost immediate improvement.   
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:52:05 PM by w8d4it »
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch