Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Routine Maintenance  (Read 725 times)

Offline LarryJa

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Cedarbrook, NJ
Re: Routine Maintenance
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 12:46:32 AM »
I recently completed the 20k mile valve clearance & cam timing maintenance on my se. That is pretty tedious & cumbersome to complete, but only needed every 20k miles.
Also to do just about any engine maintenance, all the fairing pieces & big gas tank & pump has to come off too.
While the maintenance can be tedious & complex, this is one great bike to ride.
Anymore, the electronic gremlins all seem to be all worked out.
Do realize this is one wonderful & versatile bike to own & ride!
Good luck!
A good man once told me, "Don't sell your bike. It's your soul."....

Offline Jeffb

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Columbus OH
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 03:25:04 AM »
I'm enjoying this bike probably more than any other bike I've owned, but the maintenance is a PITA. It's frequent and it's involved. You have to remove the fuel tank to change the air filter, as an example you asked for. I enjoy working on my own bikes, but this is way more work than any other bike I've owned.

Offline VABird

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TigAmeriMasterBird
  • City / Town: Bedford VA
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 12:02:55 PM »
This is all great info that I seek, but so far, doesn't sound like more than my Tiger. (fuel tank & plastic removal...)
It's not that often, and I do like tinkering, it's just poor design that rankles me. Can I assume the valve setup is similar to other Triumph triples and valve buckets can be compressed with one of these?

Also, when was the "noisy engine" issue resolved?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 12:04:47 PM by VABird »

Online Merlot

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 09:03:14 PM »
The Trophy doesn't look a whole lot worse than similar sports touring bikes.  Type BMW R1250RT air filter change into youtube and you'll see a load of bodywork has to come off too, maybe not quite as much as the Trophy but it's not a 5 minute job by any means.  Okay the boxer design makes working on other things like the heads easier (along with the V-fours of the Honda ST 11 & 13 series, which were both a doddle to change the air filter in comparison).  The FJR, GTR and K1600 are all similar in a roundabout way, basically if it's a fully-faired sports tourer then certain servicing and maintenance tasks are going to require bodywork removal and will take a bit of time. 
I don't know about other members, but when I service the bike, I usually spread it over a couple of days or so.  With the bodywork off I'll do the oil/air filter thing along with valves, head races etc one day (the jobs you need the fairing off for).  Pop it all back together then maybe a day or so later bleed brakes etc, reset service intervals and then do the things you can do with the fairing on.
My wife and I have just come back from a three day trip around The Cotswolds and we can't think of a better bike.

Offline Leanover

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 trophy se
  • City / Town: M÷rlenbach
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 04:37:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Merlot [+]
The Trophy doesn't look a whole lot worse than similar sports touring bikes.  Type BMW R1250RT air filter change into youtube and you'll see a load of bodywork has to come off too, maybe not quite as much as the Trophy but it's not a 5 minute job by any means.  Okay the boxer design makes working on other things like the heads easier (along with the V-fours of the Honda ST 11 & 13 series, which were both a doddle to change the air filter in comparison).  The FJR, GTR and K1600 are all similar in a roundabout way, basically if it's a fully-faired sports tourer then certain servicing and maintenance tasks are going to require bodywork removal and will take a bit of time. 
I don't know about other members, but when I service the bike, I usually spread it over a couple of days or so.  With the bodywork off I'll do the oil/air filter thing along with valves, head races etc one day (the jobs you need the fairing off for).  Pop it all back together then maybe a day or so later bleed brakes etc, reset service intervals and then do the things you can do with the fairing on.
My wife and I have just come back from a three day trip around The Cotswolds and we can't think of a better bike.
I Can't agree more . I sold my husqvarna tr 650 because it was a pig to service. I much preferred to work on my triumph!!
Ps I just noticed that merlot is for my home town of Southampton!! 

Online Merlot

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 05:48:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Leanover [+]
I Can't agree more . I sold my husqvarna tr 650 because it was a pig to service. I much preferred to work on my triumph!!
Ps I just noticed that merlot is for my home town of Southampton!!

Indeed, just over The Solent by the lovely New Forest.  :002:

Offline VABird

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TigAmeriMasterBird
  • City / Town: Bedford VA
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2020, 12:09:15 PM »
Thanks to all for input. I did get to meet up with a Trophy owner that has owned and maintained many bikes over his 50+ years of riding. He does not mess with his Trophy, and this has clued me in to problems that I'd rather not deal with. I'm not one to pay a shop over $100/hour. I also got to ride the bike in the twisties  for about 30 minutes and although I could get used to the great power and wonderful wind protection on the open road, I decided that the Trophy is not the bike for me.
Thanks again to all for info and encouragement.
Bob

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fredericksburg
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2020, 12:33:50 PM »
I don't know why folks complain about rear tire removal.  What does it take, maybe 3-5 minutes to get the muffler off and then you have one of the easiest tire removal and install in the known motorcycle universe.  Seriously, 5 lug nuts! and poof the wheel is off.

The 10k interval on the oil change is great. A lot better than most. Not as good as some.

The 20k interval on the air filter and valves is a real PITA and expensive if you don't do it yourself.  At least it is 20k and not 6k like some others.
-------------------------------------
06 Triumph Rocket III
15 Triumph Trophy SE

IBA #609 (formerly 42146)