Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trophy service parts made by myself. Raising some money for charity  (Read 1490 times)

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
Good morning ladies and gentlemen. I have a 2013 standard Trophy which I bought new and now has 86000 miles on the clock. In the early days of my working life I was an engineer, working as a toolmaker for a company making drive axles for heavy goods vehicles, before a recession in the early 1980's which prompted a career change. As a result, I had to set up my own workshop at home and make parts for my own vintage motorcycles, parts which include gear drive cam trains, clutches and gearbox pinions, crank pins, lap dancing poles (honestly, but I'm not telling!!). I have also made parts for race and road bikes, race cars and bicycles (clutch, camshaft and gear drive for a friend who took 4 world speed records at Bonneville on his bike with my parts fitted is one example)
Some of the parts I made for my Trophy were "just because I could" and sometimes because mine were better than the original offerings. An example is the short front wishbone sleeve which seems to need attention every year on my bike. I make the sleeve and the 2 longer ones, from EN36 steel, case hardened and ground to size. Since fitting them, I have never had to replace the sleeves as they seem better than the originals as they are manufactured from a better quality steel. I also make the front wheel spacers in stainless steel rather than the original aluminium which get grooves worn in them by the oil seals. In 50000 miles, mine are still like new. I also make a stainless steel sleeve with a knurled head to replace the plain aluminium sleeve on the right side of the front wishbone suspension sleeve. This greatly assists in the removal of said sleeve to service the rear suspension linkages as there is a knurled head to grip for removal and the stainless does not corrode and seize into the frame lug.
Until now, I have let a few members have these parts free of charge, however.....
An ex work colleague had a 2 year old daughter who sadly died last year because of meningitis. A group of the lads are going to walk 26 miles on a very challenging 3 peaks hike at the end of this month in a bit to raise money for meningitis research. Always a man to be able to see his personal limitations, I knew this was too much for me to do, so, I would like to offer the parts I make to fellow members in a bid to raise a little for the charity. I will list the parts and you can do your own research into the prices charged by official dealers, but the complete set from a well known dealer retails at £164 plus post.
I only have a limited number of the parts and once they are gone, that's it. If anyone buys the stuff and isn't happy, I will refund their money. It must be appreciated that I am not a business and do not wish to profit from my offer. The parts are fitted at your risk, but in my experience and that of a few select members, I have no complaint as to the quality and longevity of the parts.
The parts are as follows :-
Front wishbone sleeve (30mm long x 20mm diameter) I have 20 of these (retail @£10 plus post)
Rear and upper sleeves (90mm long x 20mm diameter) I have 12 of these (retail @ £28 plus post)
Front wishbone spacer with knurled head in stainless steel (fitted to right side of wishbone) I have 10 of these (retail @£58 plus post which must surely be a mistake, but that's what the dealer says)
Front wheel spacers in stainless steel, I have 7 pairs of these (retail @ £40 plus post)
I would be looking for a donation to the charity previously mentioned and would be looking at £50 for the whole lot, plus postage. My aim is to try and raise at least £300 for the charity. If anyone wants just one or two of the parts I offer, that is fine, I will do a price based on their needs. I would be looking for payment as a "gift" via paypal and will PM details once the parts are received.
I would post some photographs of the parts, but I am not too clever with computers, but will try in the next couple of days.
It must be appreciated what I am trying to do here and the fact that I have covered many thousands of miles with the parts, without any problem has to speak volumes. I cannot afford to have anyone buy the parts and sue me, which seems to be the modern way with some people, but I suspect not on this forum.
If anyone is interested, send me a PM, but be aware, the long wishbone sleeves wont be ready for a month as I am getting a batch of parts together for heat treatment and just need to finish some gear pinions and offset crank pins for Lambretta scooters.
I hope this offer is of use to some of you and I am willing to split the parts to cater for your needs. If any members who already have the parts I make wish to endorse them, please feel free to do so, but remember, when they're gone, they're gone.
Many thanks for reading this post

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: Trophy service parts made by myself. Raising some money for charit
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 01:32:40 AM »
Shouldn't have any problem with the fundraising.  Members on this forum are a caring, contributing group when there is a worthy cause.  Unfortunately shipping cost to the US would be considerable.:028:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Jeffb

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Columbus OH
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 03:15:11 AM »
I'm one of the recipients of 1675's generosity, and can vouch for the quality of his front wheel spacers. They are much better than OEM.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 03:25:55 AM by Jeffb »

Offline RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy & Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 06:51:52 AM »
Sadly, I don’t know what most of these bits are - yet, but I’d certainly ask for a pair of your front wheel spacers please.

The very best of luck with your fund raising - it sounds like a great idea 👍
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 07:02:58 AM by RedMerle »
After 7 years of riding the Tiger 1200 (the Trophy's disreputable hooligan little brother!), in May 2020 it was joined by a Ruby Red and Gold Trophy too 😁

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 07:48:48 AM »
I am also one of the recipients of the Generosity of 1675, and I can guarantee that the quality of its front wheel and rear wishbone spacers are a real quality and calculated to the millimeter.

I believe that for the cause it is worth contributing.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Online Novocastrian

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 07:57:16 AM »
I'm in, Gary !  Yesterday, I re-installed the wishbone bolts the way you suggested, by the way.  Bliddy gout been getting in my way for a few weeks...I think I've sorted it with Montmorency Cherry from Holland & Barratt in case you know of anyone else with the same ailment  :008: :008:
Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 08:02:10 AM »
This is a FANTASTIC Offer, and for an extremely worthy cause !

Anyone taking this up will save a HEAP of Cash over buying the orginal parts
and will also have Parts that are longer lasting and of better quality than original.

As one of the previous recipients of the Front wheel spacers,
and the "Wishbone" ( Drag Link ) Ground Sleeves,
I can personally testify as to the excellent quality of workmanship.

1675 - I don't think I had the knurled front spacer, so would be interested in one of those,
and if you can send me your Paypal address by PM I will happily send the full £50,
as I will then have had a full set from you  :028:

If you want to email any Photo's you have, I can post them here on your behalf.

Cheers  :821:

« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 08:17:52 AM by Coconut »

Online Novocastrian

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 08:14:27 AM »
I'll be catching up with 1675 shortly.  I'll be happy to post photos as required (if required)
Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB