Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trophy service parts made by myself. Raising some money for charity  (Read 3537 times)

Offline CAM

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Comox
Re: Trophy service parts made by myself. Raising some money for charit
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2020, 07:31:44 PM »
Gary,

PM sent

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2020, 08:31:09 PM »
Sneak preview !

Photos hosted on behalf of 1615 who has had the Sleeves and Spacers
back from being hardened, and now need to be Ground to their finished sizes :

Offline WV Rider

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2020, 03:59:59 AM »
Looks good.  Best part is that proceeds are going to a fantastic cause.  Thank you 1675.

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2020, 02:31:19 PM »
Those machines are great.

Thanks Gary for showing your work.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline Stumpyone

• Trophy Pro
  • One life.....live it
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2013
  • City / Town: Havant
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2020, 07:58:47 AM »
Hey 1615,

I was alarmed to see the state of my spacers when i took my front out for rebalancing yesterday (vibration at 60MPH +). It looked like a rat has been chewing the left hand one. Clearly some muck must have got in and has been wearing it away.

I'd be very interested in a pair of front spacers if you have a pair left and having caught up on the posts, its a great cause to so happy to join in?

what do you think?

Mark

TTSE 2017... Blue - the new Red!!!
CBF1000
Vmax
FJ1200
Maxim 650

Online 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2020, 10:07:07 AM »
Good morning gentlemen, just a quick update on the parts I am making. Everything is now done apart from half a dozen front wheel spacers which will be completed today. Many thanks for the interest shown and your patience. I will be sending everyone a PM for address details and as soon as I have these, will send your parts.
If you are able to overhaul your suspension yourself, then you will have no trouble with the replacements you receive from me as they are to the same sizes as the original parts. The suspension sleeves are made from EN36 steel, case hardened to 60/62 Rockwell which is the same value as the Triumph parts. I use this steel to make crankpins for vintage and classic bikes and it is the material of choice for the job. Very strong with a 1mm hardness depth to resist wear. They also seem to last longer which is a bonus! Before fitting the short front wishbone sleeve, do a "dry run" and check that the knurled stainless steel sleeve fits in the right side frame lug easily. I have found some bikes have small burrs on the frame lug where difficulty has been had by owners/dealers in removing the original aluminium "headless" sleeve, so take any burrs off the lug with a de burring tool or scraper. The sleeve is 19.97mm diameter, same as the original and should just slide in nicely without the need to tap it. Put the new short sleeve in between the lugs and assemble the knurled sleeve and bolt and nip it all up without the wishbone fitted. I am aware there was a frame modification re the stand lugs and other mods may also have been done. Check that the knurled head of the stainless sleeve does not touch the frame at the top, where the lug "thickens out". This would prevent the bolt nipping the whole assembly up tight. Nip the nut up on the 12mm dia bolt and check it has tightened the short sleeve. Also check that there are a couple of threads showing out of the nut, allowing it to function as a locknut. Triumph recommend replacing these each time they are removed. I don't, but it is your choice. There are plenty of posts already here about suspension overhaul. I always use new seals, there are 10 in total and are available for around £2 each from any bearing stockist. Use the recommended grease upon assembly and you cant have too much! I always  try and get some between the gaps of the linkages and although it looks unsightly, the grease prevents water getting on to the unprotected area of the long lower sleeve. I never wash this area and never use a power wash either. Once corrosion sets in here, it makes removal very difficult as the rust increases the diameter of the sleeve, making it hard to get through the bearings. Torque all nuts to the recommended value and double check your work before use. I also recheck the torque after 50 miles or so, just to be on the safe side.
The front wheel spacers are stainless steel and resist wear from the seals better than the original parts. I would advise you check the bearings whilst the wheel is out and take the opportunity to fit new seals to the wheel. The spacers are marked with the radial rings as per original to assist reassembly (the long one with 2 rings goes to the right side of the wheel). I also like a bit of grease around the inner lip of the seal to lubricate the assembly when the sleeves are put in to the seals.
If you have any doubts about your own abilities to fit these parts, then seek assistance from a friend or the dealer/service technician who does your repairs. I can take no responsibility for wrongly fitted parts which cause trouble later on. As mentioned before, these parts are being sent to you on the understanding that I am not held responsible for any failures. I have no liability insurance and do not wish to lose my home! I have had them in my bike for around 50,000 miles without problem and some other forum members are also using them, again, without problem.
Many thanks to everyone for supporting the charity the money will be going to. I will only ask that you pay once you are fully satisfied with the goods. If you don't like them, don't pay and just keep them, no problem. My only expense in doing the job was for 2 lengths of EN36 and the hardening. I have receipts for these and anyone is quite welcome to see my expenditure to get the job done. My time in making the stuff was free. Once everything is squared up, I will post the amount the charity received. Once again, many thanks and sorry about the long winded post.
Gary

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2020, 10:28:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by 1675 [+]
Use the recommended grease upon assembly and you cant have too much!

Hold on. You didn't use the recommended grease on mine. I saw the tin marked "Gary's special sticky grease"  :008: :008:

...and if anyone thinks I'm joking, I'm not !  :002:
Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

Online 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2020, 10:17:56 PM »
'Tis true, I do have very special sticky grease, but I cannot allow it to be used by all and sundry you know! After all, I only got a 5 gallon drum of it given for free and have to make it last. It truly is a terrible grease Novocastrian, and had you come into contact with it, it would still be attached when you got back to Hadrians Wall. Much too dangerous my friend.