Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Broken pivot bolt and odd finding  (Read 286 times)

Offline Joraru

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Shelton
Broken pivot bolt and odd finding
« on: July 14, 2020, 01:47:02 AM »
Hello,
Well unfortunately I dropped the trophy on sunday. Right side while turning at low speed. Didn't think there was any damage until I went to ride away and noticed I had no no rear brake. Yup, broken pivot bolt. Finally got it out today and was considering the drill out and replace with a good bolt method, see attached pics of my drill job. While I was taking one out I figured I take out the left side one as well and found the threads stripped. When I took off the left cover I also found the other odd looking situation. Not sure exactly what this boot called but it didn't look right. So here are my questions; Should I be concerned about this stripping of the threads? And, what is this boot and should I be concerned about it?

Offline digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
Re: Broken pivot bolt and odd finding
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 08:00:32 AM »
It is normal, all the dust and what you find on the road gets stuck there, think that it is not a closed place, where the dirt cannot enter. It has a magnet effect and everything is hooked there.

Every time I open that area it's the same. That part is disassembled in half, it has a screw like the one in the photo, once the plastic is disassembled, that dirt is cleaned and a little grease is put on the shaft crosshead.

Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 08:21:06 AM »
That part is the "Output Shaft Cover" - Part Number T2050158,
and looks like this when new, so as digital says,
it looks like it is just a build up of road dirt / crud etc, so clean it off !   :

I would be concerned about the Gear Lever Pivot Bolt hole though,
as that is a "blind" hole so you would be unable to drill through and fit a long bolt
with nut on the outboard end, and if the remaining threads are insufficient to
secure the Pivot bolt, you may need to consider a Heli-Coil or simialr type of insert repair.

Cheers  :821:

Offline Joraru

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 12:53:50 PM »
Thanks. Knew I could count on you guys! The "shaft cover" looked like it had been melted or torn away but guess it's just dirty. Thanks for the pic of the original. As for the pivot bolt, I'll try getting better light in there to see what I have left for threads and see if I cant just tap it to clean them up. Thanks again!

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 01:23:22 PM »
If you prefer to tap the stripped hole to a different thread and use a bolt through the original after you drill it out you could tap the blind hole with a bottoming tap.  Be sure to start the threads with a starting tap first, then with the bottom tap go slowly and back the tap out often to clear the chips/clean the tap.  There are several methods for changing the stock pivot bolt to the through bolt configuration and using a higher strength bolt to keep the break off issue from recurring.  Poor design on that pivot bolt AND it's got threadlocker on it from the factory, which is a real problem once it's fractured at the base of the threads.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Joraru

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 01:59:39 PM »
I wasn't planning on through bolting either side. Just using the drilled out stock collar with a 8mm bolt long enough to go through the collar and into the factory hole. Does anyone one know the pitch of the threads?

Offline Joraru

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 02:48:00 PM »
Never mind. 1.25 pitch

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 08:22:37 PM »
That's the fix a lot of us have done.  I used longer socket head cap screws and cut them to length so there is an unthreaded portion that goes through the drilled out pivot that is now a bushing.  Silicone grease on everything in the shifter and brake pivots works very well and is water repellant.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

tweedy-bunch