Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Pivot Bolts Should there be a safety recall?  (Read 2741 times)

• Offline Canes1   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    640
    • Topic Author

Offline Canes1

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 Phantom Black
    • City / Town: Fayetteville, GA
    Pivot Bolts Should there be a safety recall?
    on: Jul 15, 2020, 03.32 pm
    Jul 15, 2020, 03.32 pm
    As the title says, should there be a safety recall on the pivot bolts for foot brake and especially shifter bolt.
    Have not personally experienced a broken bolt but, recently replaced both simply because of it being a known issue!
    Would definitely not want to be in a position where shifting or braking was paramount to my safely making a decision, while riding, only to have a shift or brake lever falling off onto the road.
    Not normally someone who likes to "Big Deal" things but this issue seems too common to ignore.
    Joined the Facebook Trophy group recently and lo and behold..broken pivot bolts. Not sure how many are members of this forum and the Facebook group but ever since I purchased this bike and joined this forum the 2 things that crop up and stand out are "Ignition Wiring" and "Broken Pivot Bolts"!
    One of my very first purchases for this bike (and I've purchased a lot of add-ons and parts) were extra pivot bolts!
    Wonder if we need to compile a list( sort of what took place with ignition wires) and make this an issue, which can then be submitted to Triumph?

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4773

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Re: Pivot Bolts Should there be a safety recall?
    Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2020, 04.35 pm
    Jul 15, 2020, 04.35 pm
    Look here for the once and for all solution:
    https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,9979.8.html
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Canes1   us

• Topic Author

Offline Canes1

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2020, 08.02 pm
    Jul 15, 2020, 08.02 pm
    Yes, I've seen that and looks like a great solution.
    Problem is, not everyone who owns a Trophy visits this site and has seen that.
    Like I said earlier, don't usually big deal things and was wondering out loud whether or not this should become a safety recall.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4773

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2020, 10.43 pm
    Jul 15, 2020, 10.43 pm
    I doubt there would be much future in that since it takes some input, as in falling over to cause the problem.  If I was a manufacturer and had that kind of inquiry raised I'd be of the opinion that the rider shouldn't let it fall over.  We all know there are only two kinds of motorcycles though, those that have been on their side and those that are going to be on their side. :745:  And yes, it was a poor design, but without some pressure induced it may hold up forever.  I'm sure there are some Trophies out there that have never had the pivot bolt removed and they are still serving their purpose.
    Last Edit: Jul 15, 2020, 10.46 pm by trophied
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1231

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2020, 02.14 am
    Jul 16, 2020, 02.14 am
    Too true trophied. The last bit that is, oh and "maybe" the first bit as well.  :164: :821: :158:
    HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Online Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9765

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2020, 08.08 am
    Jul 16, 2020, 08.08 am
    Should this be subject of a Safety Recall ? - No I don't personally think so.

Should it be subject of a Service Bulletin / Modification ? - Yes I personally think it should,
    however with the Model discontinued I think it's extremely unlikely to happen.

Having gone through the extensive process of getting the Ignition Wiring Safety Recall issued,
    I feel qualified to comment - You would need to be able to demonstrate the actual or potential
    danger to the Rider or others, and risk of personal injury if the part were to fail unexpectedly,
    AND the numbers that are likely to be affected. 
    Hence the reason for my collating all that information about the Ignition Switch wiring !

Any Trophy that has fallen onto either side, stressing the Pivot bolts,
    could be argued by Triumph, are not their responsibility if the part later failed.

There are proportionately few Pivot bolts that I am aware of that have failed where the bike hadn't
    previously fallen on one side or the other. 

A while back another Member started a Poll to try and find out how many had been affected
    in this way - It seems that there were not enough replies, or demonstration of the risk of injury
    due to such a failure to persuade Triumph to do anything about it.

..... all of which is why it is always, IMHO, a good idea to be a Member
    of of an Owners Forum such as this one.  :152:

• Offline Canes1   us

• Topic Author

Offline Canes1

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2020, 05.45 pm
    Jul 23, 2020, 05.45 pm
    Thanks Coconut, can only imagine the time spent on ignition recall.
    Just brought this up because not only was it one of the first issues I came across when I first joined this forum but, a reoccurring one as well.
    In fact, one of the first items I purchased for my bike were pivot bolts, which I recently replaced.
    I guess it would be hard to prove to Triumph that the bike hadn't been dropped. :110:

Just wanted to get some opinions on the subject.
    Thanks Mates! :028:

• Offline AEG   de

• Trophy Junior  ‐    3

Offline AEG

• Trophy Junior
    • Bike: Trophy SE; K1100LT
    • City / Town: Ludwigsburg
    Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2020, 12.13 pm
    Oct 12, 2020, 12.13 pm
     :012: sh#t happens...

Last Thursday, good weather conditions, I drove with my bike only for fun... I took a coffee

near the "Bodensee"

and wanted to go on. First gear: WHAT the f...!

The shifting bolt was broken. 200 kms away from home, next T. dealer one hour....  :233:
    But it was a great day an I think it was kind of kismet, good kharma or kind of that.
    There were four guys in their scooters arriving the parket ground. One of them told me to shift into the second gear... he will come back (after having a hughe cup of coffee) and guide me to his house for repair!  :114: :187: :084:
    I decided to wait for him and after half an hour he retourned! He guided me to his house (second gear for 25 kms!) and I found a reallly great garage. The guy was mechanics for lorrys an we decided to solve the problem as described in the second post of this thread....
    One hour later it was done and he showed me some hidden little streets...
    First time on tour with a scooter in front of me!  :745:

Ready for the nex 60 tkms...!  :152: