Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Michelin Road 5  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Canes1

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Phantom Black
  • City / Town: Fayetteville, GA
Re: Michelin Road 5
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2020, 09:51:39 PM »
 :028:

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lebanon ME
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2020, 01:27:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by Merritt64 [+]
The Michelin Road 5 GT's are the tire I will put on my bike next year.  The reviews on them have been very favourable.  I don't think $500.00 for a set of tires is unreasonable.  I change my tires out based on age rather than wear because I don't put that many miles on them right now.  For me, they are the only contact between the road and myself and I typically look past the cost of the tire and purchase what I consider to be the best tire at that time.

I agree that $500 is a reasonable price for a set of tires.  Took my bike in for state inspection today and the inspector very nearly didn't pass me due to my rear tire wear.  Guess that's the last straw.  The Visor Shop (UK based vendor) has stellar prices - pair of Road 5 GTs DHL Air shipped 2-3 days to my door for just under $400.  Hopefully they'll deliver on the delivery time!  I don't have any connection to this vendor, but they are better than any US price I could find by $40 or more. 

I have a somewhat local tire shop that is well regarded (haven't used them myself) that will mount them for $20 each on loose wheels, or $100 if they have to dismount the wheels from the bike.   Time to decide if my time and hauling the wheels 30 minutes each way in the truck is worth $60!  :-)

2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2020, 01:43:01 AM »
And be CERTAIN they know there are tire pressure sensors and don't break one or both of your valve stems.  Yeah I know that drill.  And the problem is they won't be able to find a replacement for the one they break in very short order so you're back on the road again.  Yeah I know that drill too, just prior to an out of town trip.  Two people including the service manager were told and no one told the tire monkey.  Made me think I needed a Trunk Monkey!
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lebanon ME
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2020, 02:07:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by trophied [+]
And be CERTAIN they know there are tire pressure sensors and don't break one or both of your valve stems.  Yeah I know that drill.  And the problem is they won't be able to find a replacement for the one they break in very short order so you're back on the road again.  Yeah I know that drill too, just prior to an out of town trip.  Two people including the service manager were told and no one told the tire monkey.  Made me think I needed a Trunk Monkey!

I did mention the TPMS sensors when I talked to them and they said it would not be a problem...but thanks for this.  I'll make sure to make it very clear when I get there with the wheels and tires.  They're telling me 40 minute turn around and I can watch while I wait, so that's comforting, I think. 
2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

Online Novocastrian

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2020, 08:04:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by Saddle Tramp [+]
The problem for me was that the matching front tire developed an uneven wear pattern after

I'm pleased to see someone else doesn't have an issue with fitting different manufacturers brands on front and back.  My view is there is no problem doing this and the generally accepted "traditional" view that you have to match front and rear tyres is a result of manufacturer marketing hype and those with long memories remembering radial and crossply tyres don't mix on the same axle (on a car, obviously).  I like the rear Avon storm tyre but find the front one unpredictable...so I'm replacing the front tyre (only) with a Michelin.
Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2020, 02:00:39 PM »
I've had a mismatch before and didn't find it to be a problem.  I don't find the Avon front to be a problem but I'm not a very aggressive rider.  If I used a different tire in the front I would probably prefer to try an Avon Spirit up front with slightly better grip wet and dry according to Avon's website.  Their recommendation when I contacted them about tires they make suitable for the Trophy were the Spirits or the Storms.  I may well give some Road 5's, or whatever Michelin calls them by then, a try after the new set of Avon's I just ordered are done.

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
  • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2020, 03:07:40 PM »
With now over 11,000 miles and counting on my rear Avon Storm tire, I have been extremely pleased with its performance. It's a "keeper".
I do not plan to purchase another Avon Storm front tire, given the uneven wear pattern, and handlebar vibrations it caused.
I am currently running a Metzeler Roadtec 01 front tire with about 5,000 miles on it, and although it is not yet exhibiting any uneven wear, for some reason it exhibits excessive slippage on the tar snakes that are so prevalent here in the Upper Midwest. For that reason alone, I do not plan on purchasing the same tire again. The tread pattern on the Metzeler is very similar to the pattern on the Michelin 5, so I don't think that I will be trying that tire next. Perhaps my next experiment will be with the Dunlop  Roadsmart III, although I have never been a big fan of Dunlops...

As mentioned by Novocastrian, I have never had a problem mixing brands of tires, front to rear, so long as the tires were of similar construction, although my preference is always to purchase a matched set. The uneven front tire wear issue is not unique to the Trophy. I had the same issues with the front tire on my previous BMW K1600GTL, on which I had the same problem with Pirelli Angel GT tires. I just think the smaller profile of the front tire vs. the rear on these heavy sport tourers just places too much of a burden on the front tires, especially when riding aggressively.  :016:

The search continues...  :169:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 03:19:22 PM by Saddle Tramp »
Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2020, 02:30:34 PM »
I would have to agree about the weight and loading the front under braking being a possible reason for all the uneven tire wear.  My K1600 did the same thing.  I didn't own my R1200RT long enough to experience it, and it may never have since it was a lighter weight bike.