Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Michelin Road 5  (Read 2391 times)

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
Re: Michelin Road 5
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2020, 07:13:14 AM »
Normally I don't like it when people chime in on threads where a person asks about a specific thing, and people come along with an answer that is not, in fact, an answer to the specific question...but here I am :)

I would strongly recommend that anyone who is even barely concerned with longevity try a Metzeler RoadTec front and ME888 rear. The set is about $335, and they are awesome. Great wet grip, super neutral handling, quiet, and they last a long time. My previous longest lasting rear on this bike was a Road 4, and it went about 3200 miles. I got 10,000 out of the last ME888. For you guys who get 10,000 out of tires such as the Roads, I think 20k is possible with these. I'm far too abusive on tires to ever get near that, but you might!

Hundreds less than the Michelins, and they work. And, if you ever used the rock-hard old school Marathons, this ME888 rear is nothing at all like that.

If you're wondering how much faith I have in these, I rode through Deal's Gap last night around 11pm in a steady rain, and had a ball.

Hope this helps someone...

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2020, 01:41:12 PM »
Thanks for the info.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Tripleggg1

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Montreal
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2020, 02:27:49 AM »
I blew a rear Pirelli Angel on a road trip and was only able to get Michelin replacement tires. I changed both and got almost 12,000 miles. I was so impressed, I bought the Michelin 5 and they are now almost completely worn at 6,000 miles. Quite disappointed, especially for the price. I ride mostly 2 up on highway.

Online Merritt64

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Calgary
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2020, 08:26:56 PM »
I wonder if the Road 5 GT would have served you better?  It sucks to purchase anything that doesn't live up to expectations.

Offline darmah59

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: SALINE
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2020, 04:44:02 PM »
I have been using Dunlop Roadsmart 3, about half the price of Michelin, wear and grip at least as good as the Pirellis' you have, they often have rebates, made in the usa and have first class customer support.
You pay a big premium for the french stuff and it is more geared towards wet weather so they ride and turn slow.

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lebanon ME
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2020, 05:37:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by dandrumheller [+]
I agree that $500 is a reasonable price for a set of tires.  Took my bike in for state inspection today and the inspector very nearly didn't pass me due to my rear tire wear.  Guess that's the last straw.  The Visor Shop (UK based vendor) has stellar prices - pair of Road 5 GTs DHL Air shipped 2-3 days to my door for just under $400.  Hopefully they'll deliver on the delivery time!  I don't have any connection to this vendor, but they are better than any US price I could find by $40 or more. 

I have a somewhat local tire shop that is well regarded (haven't used them myself) that will mount them for $20 each on loose wheels, or $100 if they have to dismount the wheels from the bike.   Time to decide if my time and hauling the wheels 30 minutes each way in the truck is worth $60!  :-)

Just a quick update on my tire order from the visor shop in case anyone else is planning on ordering from there.
 Apparently DHL has their crap together in Europe, but not so much in the US.  Took just under 18 hours from pickup from the vendor in Belfast to get the tires to the sorting center in NYC.  Took an additional 7 days to get the tires to me from there - a 300 mile, 5 hour drive.  The good price was worth it, but I'll plan better next time. 

My tire fitter was awesome about changing appointments, and she did a very careful job, watching out for the valve stems and TPMS while I watched and chatted with her.  40 minutes and $40 for both wheels.

Initial impression of the tires (compared to 6 year old squared of angel ST): more compliant ride, more confidence inspiring grip in the corners, slightly more neutral steering, and, as mentioned above, maybe a little slower turning in.  Not sure how much of each variable (age, wear pattern, actual different tires) is contributing.  Definitely happy with the new tire.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 05:38:55 PM by dandrumheller »
2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

Offline TX Triumphs

• Trophy Junior
  • Another beautiful day in paradise.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Tyler area, TX
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2020, 03:44:18 PM »
Preparing for a long road trip I took '15 TTSE to dealer for 30k service and rear tire. He raised an eyebrow at the flat and well-worn Road Pilot 4 on the rear and told me they would replace it with the RP5 GT for $235 out the door. Front tire was ok but probably need attention after my 2500 planned miles.

First Point: Be careful with the RP5 going on the TTSE. The tire squats out once it is settled in for some miles and may rub on the exhaust. I rode home a hundred miles and arrived home to tire rubbing lightly against OEM exhaust. After a discussion with dealer and a look on a few forums, it is a known issue with the tires, just wasn't a known issue with them on Triumphs. Quick solution was to move exhaust to outside of mounting bracket (still clears panniers) and all is well.

2nd Point: Awesome tire! Trip ended up being 2790 miles from Tyler, TX to Lake Superior and back. Several thunderstorms/rain squalls later, one huge chuck of concrete in I-30 in Little Rock that shattered front rim and tire, and many twisties in Ozark Mountains, Porcupine Mountains, and East Texas....tire held up awesome. Excellent wet traction, dry handling, and seemed to be all around great.

Side Note: The incident in Little Rock was bizarre and scary but ended well. 65 mph impact with 3 ft long chunk of wood/concrete in rush hour traffic and bike remained upright and off to shoulder. East End Towing Co. was helpful and ended up going to three shops, finally ended up at Pickles Gap Cycle Shack. These guys took a wheel off a showroom bike (no Triumph dealer within 200 miles) and mounted a new Michelin RP4 to it and put me back on the road. I ordered a new wheel from Triumph and they will have their bike back on the road in a few days.

Love the Trophy, think the Road Pilot 5 GT is a great tire, and we'll see how long it lasts.

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lebanon ME
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2020, 04:01:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by TX Triumphs [+]
Preparing for a long road trip I took '15 TTSE to dealer for 30k service and rear tire. He raised an eyebrow at the flat and well-worn Road Pilot 4 on the rear and told me they would replace it with the RP5 GT for $235 out the door. Front tire was ok but probably need attention after my 2500 planned miles.

First Point: Be careful with the RP5 going on the TTSE. The tire squats out once it is settled in for some miles and may rub on the exhaust. I rode home a hundred miles and arrived home to tire rubbing lightly against OEM exhaust. After a discussion with dealer and a look on a few forums, it is a known issue with the tires, just wasn't a known issue with them on Triumphs. Quick solution was to move exhaust to outside of mounting bracket (still clears panniers) and all is well.

2nd Point: Awesome tire! Trip ended up being 2790 miles from Tyler, TX to Lake Superior and back. Several thunderstorms/rain squalls later, one huge chuck of concrete in I-30 in Little Rock that shattered front rim and tire, and many twisties in Ozark Mountains, Porcupine Mountains, and East Texas....tire held up awesome. Excellent wet traction, dry handling, and seemed to be all around great.

Side Note: The incident in Little Rock was bizarre and scary but ended well. 65 mph impact with 3 ft long chunk of wood/concrete in rush hour traffic and bike remained upright and off to shoulder. East End Towing Co. was helpful and ended up going to three shops, finally ended up at Pickles Gap Cycle Shack. These guys took a wheel off a showroom bike (no Triumph dealer within 200 miles) and mounted a new Michelin RP4 to it and put me back on the road. I ordered a new wheel from Triumph and they will have their bike back on the road in a few days.

Love the Trophy, think the Road Pilot 5 GT is a great tire, and we'll see how long it lasts.

Interesting you mention the exhaust mount.  When re-assembling I started to put the exhaust hanger to the inside of the bracket, and the tire clearance was scary small to me.  So I went back to look at my 'before' disassembly pics - and the exhaust was originally on the OUTSIDE of the bracket on my bike.  I'm unaware of the exhaust ever being off before, so I assume it came that way from the factory. 

Glad to hear your incidents didn't end up totally wrecking your trip, and to hear another positive review for the tire.   Got out for a bit yesterday running 2-up fully loaded with the wife on some touristy twisty roads - pretty laid back riding, but liking the handling 2-up as well. 

Edit: checked service manual - silencer is supposed to hang on the outside of the bracket. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 04:20:36 PM by dandrumheller »
2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

tweedy-bunch