Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: RT or TT?  (Read 14600 times)

Offline TrophyTim

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: West Yorkshire
RT or TT?
« on: August 26, 2013, 05:39:52 pm »
I am just wondering what deciding factors came into play when members were, perhaps, choosing between an RT and a TT?

A BMW owner for many a year, I have just changed my allegiance. The reason for me was the cheap RT switchgear that now seems to have been adopted and is being introduced throughout the BM range. Also, I could have waited for the new air/water RT to be released but my perception is that BMW uses its early-adopter customers to do the final product testing on its bikes (eg, the appalling final drive on the K1600).

Your thoughts, please?

Offline afterburner

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 triumph trophy
  • City / Town: long beach, ca
Re: RT or TT?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 06:07:10 pm »
PRICE! A similarly equipped rt is nudging $23K. If the rt had the same price I would have bought one.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 06:12:24 pm »
Price certainly had something to do with it, the TT is certainly much better value for money. BUT the main thing for me was the appalling vibration from the boxer twin. My hands were red and in pain after 30 minutes of riding the RT. the dealer said, don't worry after 5000 miles that will be much better. I said, I'm not doing 5000 miles on a bike that causes me pain in the hope that it will get better!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Paulvt1

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR 1200
  • City / Town: Wolverhampton
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 07:39:39 pm »
I had a 2006 RT and loved it to bits. I'm keenly waiting the new LC one - but i too am wary, as there seems to be a fair few issues with the new GS.
The Trophy isn't perfect - but it seems that Triumph UK are responding well to the issues.
I probably would have had an FJR, but i couldn't get a test ride on one..

Offline Wscad

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 07:56:37 pm »
The BMW "Boxer" engine has been around for many decades now. To BM's credit, every year or so, they have squeezed out a few more horsepower.

There's nothing more to come out of that engine. Adding a water cooled bit is cosmetic.
The BM die-hards will buy it, just because it's a BM.

Like for like, the TT is by far a superior bike than the RT.
I sold the RT for the TT.

Better handling.
A much better engine.
A quick, fast touring bike.

Cheers

Wscad

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 09:31:07 pm »
I had a 1150RT for 8 years and was going to buy a 2 year old RT, when Triumph brought out the TT I was keen as it is british, it had very good write ups, I looked at a year old RT in a dealer and despite the low mileage it looked a little scruffy brake fluid had started to peel away the paint on the reservoir etc, test rode it TT and really liked it, so got one.

Roger

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 09:45:44 pm »
Handling and cost.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline St3v3rino

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 08 HD Ultra Classic
  • City / Town: Vancouver BC
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 10:44:56 pm »
I was certainly considering the RT as a replacement for my hog and then a club member with an RT suggested I check out the Trophy.
I'm very encouraged by what I've read here.

It appears that the RT was the model for Triumph when designing the Trophy (just like the GS/Explorer).

For me (I'm having to wait till spring, only 1 TTSE in my area and no test rides) it was the almost $4k CDN price difference (like for like), the more powerful, smoother, water cooled engine etc

Actual BMW quality (versus perceived) appears to be questionable
Parts are very expensive (top box is nearly $1000!)

Early feedback is that for the majority the stock TTSE seat (low in North America) is more comfortable that of the RT and the bike sits a little lower which is good news for us non basketball playing folk. :745:

In addition Triumph seem hungry for the business while BMW are somewhat resting on their laurels.

Maybe nothing monumental but collectively enough things to swing my preference towards the TT. :028:

Steve

tweedy-bunch