Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Temperature gauge reading very low; bike idles higher than normal  (Read 1393 times)

• Offline kepi

• Trophy Member  ‐    18
    • Topic Author

Offline kepi

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Edmonton
    Temperature gauge reading very low; bike idles higher than normal
    on: Jul 26, 2020, 06.10 am
    Jul 26, 2020, 06.10 am
    In the latter half of a 500km ride today, I noticed that the temperature gauge was reading only one "block" and when I would come off the throttle approaching a stop, it would idle higher than usual (as if I was still holding the throttle open slightly). Normally the gauge reads right in the middle, and higher when it's warm out.

Later on in the day I was back out on the bike, and now the temperature gauge was showing no blocks at all, until about 30 minutes into the ride when it displayed one. Additionally, there were many times where coming off the throttle (around 50-60km/h) led to the bike continuing on as if cruise control was activated (which it definitely wasn't). Other times it would idle down much slower than usual when engine braking. So presumably the bike is running rich because it thinks it's too cold.

Could there be something wrong with the bike's thermostat? I checked for diagnostic trouble codes and they came up clean (P0000). I have a DealerTool if there's something that can be checked with that as well.
    Last Edit: Jul 26, 2020, 06.13 am by kepi

• Online Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10000

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: Temperature gauge reading very low; bike idles higher than normal
    Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2020, 09.49 am
    Jul 26, 2020, 09.49 am
    Hi kepi,

This could be a number of things, and assuming no work has been done on the Cooling
    system recently, with no signs of any leaks, and the Expansion bottle level correct,
    I would initially suspect the Coolant Temperature Sensor. ( Triumph Part Number T2100807 ).

According to the Service Manual, the Sensor is situated at the rear of the cylinder head,
    on the left hand side.  There are two wires connected to the Sensor - one is Black,
    the other is Pink with a Green trace, which should help to identify it.

My reasoning behind suspecting this Sensor are that the ECU uses various signals,
    including the Coolant Temperature ( an indication of engine temperature ),
    to determine the fuelling requirements.  When the engine is COLD, the fuel / air
    mixture is made richer, and the tickover speed increases slightly.

As the engine warms up the fuel / air mixture is made Leaner and the tickover speed is reduced.

If the ECU is not receiving the correct signal from Coolant Temperature Sensor,
    it may "think" the engine is still COLD, and try to adjust the mixtures accordingly,
    which would seem to match the symptoms you have described.

Your problem may be due to the Thermostat not opening, or even an Air Lock preventing
    coolant from flowing past the temperatire sensor, but in either of those cases you would soon
    become aware of the engine overheating.   

There are two DTC's associated with the Coolant Temperature Sensor,
    P0117 and P0118, but these only indicate either a Short Circuit or Open Circuit respectively,
    not that the Sensor is providing inaccurate readings, so the absence of any DTC's
    doesn't help with diagnosis of the Sensor.

You CAN however connect your DealerTool and see what Voltage is present at the Sensor,
    and what Temperature it is reading.   :169:

I have just run some checks on my Trophy and made a note of the values for your comparison.

Connect DealerTool, urn the Ignition ON, and Start the "Read ECU Data".

Return to the Main Page, then click the "Sensor Values" Tab, which should open at "Page 0"

Here is a screenshot taken previously in colder weather :

Note the Coolant Temp and Coolant sensor volts.

Start the engine and note how the readings change as the engine warms up.

Here are the readings I took for you this morning for comparison,
    ( I didn't record the Instrument Panel "Bars" for the lower Temperatures ) :

TempVoltsBars
    183.203?
    203.105?
    272.8?
    302.6?
    352.4?
    402.109?
    441.95?
    501.758?
    551.563?
    1030.4885 & Fans

As you can see, as the Sensed temperature increases, the Voltage at the Sensor is reduced.

If your Sensor readings don't show the temperature rising and voltage reducing in a similar manner
    to those above, then it is a good indication that the Sensor may be faulty.

If you have a suitable accurate Ohm Meter you indeed can proceed with a further test of the Sensor ...

Resistance data under typical conditions.
    ( Check across the Sensor terminals with the wiring disconnected ) :

Warm engine : 200 to 400 Ohms

Cold engine (  20 Degrees Celsius ambient ) : 2.35 to 2.65 KOhms
    Cold engine ( -10 Degrees Celsius ambient ) : 8.50 to 10.25 KOhms

If the readings are outside these ranges this indicates the Sensor is faulty.

Let us know how you get on  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Jul 26, 2020, 02.31 pm by Coconut

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2793

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2020, 09.51 am
    Jul 26, 2020, 09.51 am
    The first thing will be to find out if the thermostat opens and closes. You must start the engine until the electric fan jumps. To do this test, I would advise you to remove the fuse from the headlights and therefore make sure not to burn the plastics off the lights as you will have the engine running for a long time.

After a few minutes, the electric fan should start, once it has started, you should wait for the electric fan to stop. At the same time, note the condition of the temperature marked blocks on the instrument panel.

It may be that the thermostat is clogged and always letting the coolant through, therefore it never gets hot enough to raise the temperature to its normal state.

I remember that anciently, he covered the radiator and went for a walk with the motorcycle to check that the temperature rose.

It could also be a problem with the sensor, rust on its terminal or the cable itself is dirty and creates an attenuation that is not measured correctly.

As for DealerTool. Well I have been using it for years and then gave it to a friend so I don't remember if you can check this series of sensors and their working voltages. With the Triumph diagnostic tool you can check all your electrical parts.

On the other hand, I should check the throttle bodies and the throttle sensor, I can't be sure it's the same breakdown. You must first check the refrigerant part.

With Dealertool you can see the state of the throttle bodies and the throttle sensor.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2793

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2020, 09.54 am
    Jul 26, 2020, 09.54 am
    Coconut, we have sent responses at the same time.  :008: :821: :745:
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2020, 02.17 pm
    Jul 26, 2020, 02.17 pm
    *Originally Posted by digital [+]
    I would advise you to remove the fuse from the headlights and therefore make sure not to burn the plastics off the lights as you will have the engine running for a long time.

That's a good tip to keep in mind whenever the battery's been disconnected/refittted,.....having to wait so long for the engine to warm up/system to recalibrate itself is a pain in the rear end I've found. 

• Offline kepi

• Trophy Member  ‐    18
    • Topic Author

Offline kepi

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2020, 05.33 pm
    Jul 26, 2020, 05.33 pm
    Thanks for the info Coconut & digital! I'll do some poking around and see what I can discover.

• Offline kepi

• Trophy Member  ‐    18
    • Topic Author

Offline kepi

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2020, 02.44 am
    Aug 01, 2020, 02.44 am
    Well Coconut, I finally got around to plugging in my DealerTool to check my coolant temp and sensor volts values. This is also the first time I've fired up the bike since the ride where I originally noticed the issue. And .... it seems to have fixed itself?!  :086:

The progression of the temps and voltages almost exactly matched yours, the bars in the temp gauge increased like they always had, and the fan kicked on right on cue at 103 degrees.

I have a service appointment booked at my dealer, but it's not until August 22(!). So I have some time to do more tests and further poking before I take it in to have it "officially" looked at. Maybe I'll luck out and the day I had the problem was just a one-off.  :027:

• Online Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10000

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2020, 08.21 am
    Aug 01, 2020, 08.21 am
    How strange !

I'm thinking maybe a poor electrical connection to the Temperature Sensor circuit,
    which might therefore re-appear ?

If it was something like an air lock in the system it may have cleared itself,
    but I think this is unlikely if the Cooling system has not been drained recently,
    and may not have been fully refilled.

Cheers  :821:

tweedy-bunch