Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Headlights go out switching from highbeam to lowbeam  (Read 3181 times)

• Offline StreetCred

• Trophy Member  ‐    30
    • Topic Author

Offline StreetCred

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2014 Blue Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Cedarburg, WI
    Headlights go out switching from highbeam to lowbeam
    on: Aug 03, 2020, 05.13 pm
    Aug 03, 2020, 05.13 pm
    Hi all!  New TTSE owner here.  Just picked up a 2014 on Saturday and had an intermittent lighting issue show up.  This didn't happen when I was inspecting the bike before purchasing it.

Here's what happens:
    Turn the bike on and the headlight comes on.  No issue there.  Flip on the highbeams and highbeams come on.  Perfect!  Flip the highbeams off and ALL the headlights go out!  This doesn't happen all the time but once is enough.  Flip the highbeams on and off a few times and the lowbeams will come back.  I've tried to get this to happen with the passing switch but couldn't get it to repeat the problem.

Anybody else have this issue?

This bike does need the latest ignition switch wiring recall work performed.

Thanks!

Previous bikes:
    1985 FJ600
    1984 FJ1100
    2003 Aprilia RST1000

• Offline Novocastrian   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    620

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE
    • City / Town: Tynemouth
    Re: Headlights go out switching from highbeam to lowbeam
    Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2020, 10.31 pm
    Aug 03, 2020, 10.31 pm
    *Originally Posted by StreetCred [+]

This bike does need the latest ignition switch wiring recall work performed.

Thanks!

The recall is just an inspection.  There's no work involved unless the inspection finds a problem.
    Ken Hastie
    TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

• Offline Yorkie

• Trophy Junior  ‐    7

Offline Yorkie

• Trophy Junior
    • Bike: 2013 Silver SE
    • City / Town: Chesterfield
    Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2020, 09.48 am
    Sep 13, 2020, 09.48 am
    I picked my se up yesterday and I donít know if both front headlights should be on on low beam or not. Looking at reflection on the back of cars it would appear that at times both were On and at other just the right side. On main beam no problem, both on.
    I am contacting my local Triumph dealer tomorrow as the bike has a outstanding recall notice for the wire loom round headstock issue.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am slowly working my way through the handbooks.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9765

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2020, 11.11 am
    Sep 13, 2020, 11.11 am
    Both Headlights should always be ON ( when the Engine is running ).

If working in an enclosed space and don't fancy being overcome by exhaust fumes,
    you can check the Headlights by Holding in the Clutch lever and turning the Ignition ON, just
    don't leave them on for too long without the engine running or the Main Battery will be flattened !

Either both of the Dipped Beams, or both of the Main Beams should be on together.

If one isn't lighting up - check the socket is firmy pushed onto the back of the bulb,
    and that there is no sign of corrosion within the bulbholder and on the bulb's terminals.

The Handbook(s) will tell you that to access the Headlamp bulb,
    remove the panel underneath the Headlamp and reach up underneath it.  :164:

You may find it easier to remove the Stowage box - one screw externally and one internally
    then pull the glove box upwards and rearwards to release the two pegs at the front end
    from their rubber grommets.  There should be enough slack in the wiring to just hang
    the Storage Box over the side of the Fairing ( Protect with a cloth to avoid scratching the paintwork ! ),
    or you can undo the various connectors for the Accessory Socket, ( Pull the rubber cover away first )
    the USB Port ( depress the silver spring retaining clip ), and the Locking Solenoid ( depress the
    tab on its side to release the catch ).  MAKE SURE you reconnect that Solenoid wiring before
    refitting the Stowage box and closing the lid, otherwise you won't be able to open it again
    to access the internal screw !  :138: ).

With the stowage box out of the way, turn the handlebars to the side
    and you can see the back of the headlamp.

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Sep 13, 2020, 11.16 am by Coconut

• Offline Yorkie

• Trophy Junior  ‐    7

Offline Yorkie

• Trophy Junior
    Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2020, 01.33 pm
    Sep 13, 2020, 01.33 pm
    Many thanks coconut, I will investigate this afternoon. Must be a loose connection as I am sure at times they were both on.
    Thanks again.

• Offline Yorkie

• Trophy Junior  ‐    7

Offline Yorkie

• Trophy Junior
    Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2020, 10.20 am
    Sep 14, 2020, 10.20 am
     yesterday had a good look around the connectors for the left hand headlight and everything appeared as should be. Also had as best a look at the filament of the bulb to see if the low beam had blown, all looked ok.
    Bike is booked in to Triumph World, Chesterfield in a couple of weeks for ignition wiring recall. I have read on the safety recall notice and it says that the defect can effect the headlights. I have asked them to look at the lights so will report back.

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2609

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2020, 02.37 pm
    Sep 14, 2020, 02.37 pm
    If the fault came from the ignition key harness, both headlights will fail and I understand that sometimes only one lights up.

In that case I rule out that it is one of the ignition key harness wires.

As Cocout says, the fault could be in that area.

Sometimes it can be the bulb itself, although apparently we can see the filament well, it could be that the filament is visually attached, but with the movement of the motorcycle, the filament becomes detached and stops making contact.

It is better to replace the bulb and it is highly desirable that when one bulb is replaced, the other bulb has to be replaced as the other bulb will fall out in no time.

If this does not solve the problem, you should follow the wires of the bulb that does not light and see where the fault is.

If both bulbs are faulty, the problem could be with the wiring to their corresponding fuse, fuse, or light relay.

Now I don't really remember the ignition key harness wiring, but if it were the ignition key harness wires coming from the 20 amp fuse, the motorcycle's engine wouldn't start. Another thing would be if the line that comes from the 15 amp fuse fails, in that case the rear position light, the brake light and the horn would be missing.

There could also be the problem in the high and low beam shift switch itself. Although rare it is that only one headlamp lights up. But I do not rule out that the switch is dirty and fails and the resistance drops more to one lighthouse than the other.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline Yorkie

• Trophy Junior  ‐    7

Offline Yorkie

• Trophy Junior
    Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2020, 04.27 pm
    Sep 14, 2020, 04.27 pm
    Thanks Digital for the info. There is defiantly a connection issue as Iím sure at times both lights were on. Hopefully they will find the problem and I will report back. Iím hopping it is a faulty bulb and no more.

tweedy-bunch