Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Headlights go out switching from highbeam to lowbeam  (Read 686 times)

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Headlights go out switching from highbeam to lowbeam
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 05:47:31 PM »
I must confess that I missed the original Post by StreetCred
and didn't notice that the Topic had been hi-jacked with a different problem ! 

With regards to StreetCred's Original problem of both Headlights sometimes switching off,
when switching from High Beam down to Low beam, I would suspect a Faulty / Sticking Headlight Relay.  :169:

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 06:55:40 PM by Coconut »

Offline StreetCred

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Cedarburg, WI
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 06:51:53 PM »
Thanks a lot, you bastards!  I've been driving around in the dark all this time! 

Just kidding. . . .  The topic didn't really drift all that much.  I've got to get my bike in for the ignition recall, myself.  I have heard that it can affect the headlights.  That's probably not my issue but you never know. 

Now, about my issue.  It hasn't returned since my original post.  I'm wondering if it might have been a sticky relay or something like that.  I don't think the person I bought the bike from drove it very much.  Sounded like he only put a few hundred miles on in a year.
Previous bikes:
1985 FJ600
1984 FJ1100
2003 Aprilia RST1000

Online digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 07:52:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by StreetCred [+]

Thanks a lot, you bastards!  I've been driving around in the dark all this time! 

:008: :008: :008: We use that word a lot here by way of trust and affection …  :821: :821: :821:
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Online earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2020, 10:48:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
I would suspect a Faulty / Sticking Headlight Relay.  :169:

That's my suspicion too. After one owner on here reporting of his relay sticking in the on position even after removing the ignition key, I always look back at the bike to check that the lights have actually gone off. Hopefully that's not a common thing to happen but relays can stick either way I guess.

Online digital

• Trophy Master
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 12:49:53 AM »
Yes, correct earthman. I am not sure if the terminals (relay output contacts) have permanent voltage or go behind the ACC ignition key, if it is the latter, even if the relay remains activated it will stop keeping the lights on after the ignition key is disconnected .

When a relay locks, it can usually be deactivated by pressing the relay several times.

It happens to several people that when they turn the ignition key to the OFF position, they turn the key so low that they put it in the parking position and there if the position lights stay on, and if it is daytime, they do not see that the position lights remain on. When they get back on the bike, the battery is dead.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Online brenchley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: NE Florida
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 02:03:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by StreetCred [+]

Here's what happens:
Turn the bike on and the headlight comes on.  No issue there.  Flip on the highbeams and highbeams come on.  Perfect!  Flip the highbeams off and ALL the headlights go out!  This doesn't happen all the time but once is enough.  Flip the highbeams on and off a few times and the lowbeams will come back.  I've tried to get this to happen with the passing switch but couldn't get it to repeat the problem.

Anybody else have this issue?

Hello StreetCred - You might have some corrosion build up on the HI/LO switch.  That's why it may work after cycling the switch on and off a few times.  Every time you flip the switch, it's cleaning it up a bit.  Maybe try spraying some contact cleaner into the switch.  I don't know how far you can break the switch down but if you open the cube it may give you better access to the switch.  That may also explain why hitting the flash-to-pass switch doesn't have the same issue.  Just something else to consider, perhaps...
IBA #69644

Online earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 11:24:35 AM »
Checking the terminals in the switch is certainly a good idea,....years ago I experienced similar with the kill switch on the handlebar of a bike, I never actually used it but corrosion had built up and ended up shorting it out,...had me well puzzled for a while, it were a Honda so had always fired up.Lol

Offline StreetCred

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Cedarburg, WI
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 01:25:07 PM »
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!  The lights are working so I'm not touching anything at the moment. I'm going to hold off on doing anything until the season's over.  That time is fast approaching here in Wisconsin so I'm going to ride while I can.  Over the winter I'll dig into the switches, relays, and lamps.  I think I want to swap out the lamps anyway.  Would like something a little brighter.  Maybe some LED's.  Are there any available?
Previous bikes:
1985 FJ600
1984 FJ1100
2003 Aprilia RST1000

tweedy-bunch