Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Puncture repair kits that don't contain a tube of glue.  (Read 4358 times)

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121
    • Topic Author

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Puncture repair kits that don't contain a tube of glue.
    on: Aug 11, 2020, 09.14 pm
    Aug 11, 2020, 09.14 pm
    https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/pg-rtm04-c14-wemoto

Anyone reccomend a similar kit to the above? Do the 'sticky sealant strips' go off after a period of time?

I've just had to use one of my puncture repair kits that contain glue, the seal on the tube had never even been broken so I were a bit surprised to find that 99% of the glue had disappeared. :005: 
    Thankfully I had a second similar repair kit, the tube of glue were OK in that one,....both kits I have carried on different bikes for probably 10 years plus.

I'm just wondering if tubes of glue are the weak link here, are the strips that are coated with glue a better long term carry option?

• Offline ZShyster   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    332

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
    Re: Puncture repair kits that don't contain a tube of glue.
    Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2020, 12.50 am
    Aug 12, 2020, 12.50 am
    I actually carry one similar to the one you used and I carry this as my  primary repair tool.  It does not use glue and the mushroom really seals well, I speak from experience.  I have not done it personally but some guys posted that they put 5000 miles on a tire repaired with this method.

https://www.stopngo.com/standard-model-tire-plugger/ 

They make a slightly smaller an less expensive kit, but in my old age I figured I needed all the leverage the larger tool would provide.

https://www.stopngo.com/pocket-tire-plugger-for-all-tubeless-tires/ 

Ride safe,
    ZShyster

• Offline earthman   gb

• Topic Author

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2020, 07.36 am
    Aug 12, 2020, 07.36 am
    Thanks for those links.

Typically repair kits are seldom needed/used, the one time you do need them, frustrating that the glue has gone.

Is each sticky patch sealed individually or are they all together? Again, I'd like to know how they fair after say 10 years storage.

• Offline GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1315

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2020, 08.27 am
    Aug 12, 2020, 08.27 am
    Hi Earthman,

I too use 'Gummy Worms' and had a great deal of success.  I do advocate using the vulcanising glue and always carry a sealed new tube.  I did a repair once without the glue and after about 2,000 miles the repair started to leak.  It appeared a small crack worked out from the gummy worm repair hole and I think if I had used vulcanising glue the seal would have lasted. 

I take every opportunity to practice, in my early days I would puncture my tyres when about to be replaced and carry out a repair in a warm light garage as for sure any repair on the road will be in the wet, cold, dark at the side of the busiest road in Christendom.  I have also repaired many tyers at the side of the road for stranded motorcyclists.  They are amazed at the speed and ease of repair and have often thought their riding day was done whilst awaiting recovery; then I appear!  I should wear my underpants outside my trousers as Super Heroes do.

I have no experience of the mushrooms.

Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline earthman   gb

• Topic Author

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2020, 11.20 am
    Aug 12, 2020, 11.20 am
    Hi GarminDave, how come you did that sort of mileage on it in the first place, did you just forget about it,...surely they are still temporary plugs??

• Offline brenchley   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    544

Offline brenchley

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2021 Honda Gold Wing
    • City / Town: NE Florida
    Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2020, 11.27 am
    Aug 12, 2020, 11.27 am
    Likewise, I use the gummy worms with good success - along side the road, convenient parking lot and/or at home, along with a small air pump, I'm good to go.  I've used the tire plugger kits and have one at home - I've found it more difficult to use though, so I don't carry it with me.

The gummy worms appear to hold up well for years stored on my bike - never had an issue of them losing their stickiness.

As GarminDave mentioned, it's good to practice.  Assuming it's just the usual puncture (nail, screw, etc.), the repair can be made very quickly.

Last Edit: Aug 12, 2020, 11.29 am by brenchley
    Former 2014 Blue TTSE
    IBA #69644

• Offline earthman   gb

• Topic Author

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2020, 01.56 pm
    Aug 12, 2020, 01.56 pm
    I'm discovering that some tyre places don't want to patch a motorcycle tyre anymore period, one guy said that only Michelin tyres allow this now.

Really?? No wonder folk are running around for miles on these fit at the roadside/temporary type plugs because having to scrap a tyre with good tread is crazy.

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1479

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2020, 02.08 pm
    Aug 12, 2020, 02.08 pm
    Here in The States it's virtually impossible to find a motorcycle Dealer willing to patch a tire. As its been explained to me, the potential liability for a failed repair far exceeds any income realized from the repair itself. Makes sense to me.

My personal feeling is that a proper patch on the inside of the tire will likely last the life of the tire, so long as the puncture is relatively small, and not too close to the sidewall. Relying on a temporary patch for more than a short time is risky business to me, especially given the high speed limits I encounter in the Western U.S. I'm sure that there are those who will disagree with me, but at my age, I'm more interested in mitigating risk than saving a few $$.  :821: