Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Best Communication system for music  (Read 2107 times)

• Offline Ridefree

• Trophy Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline Ridefree

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy
    • City / Town: BYRON CENTER, MI
    Best Communication system for music
    on: Aug 18, 2020, 01.41 pm
    Aug 18, 2020, 01.41 pm
    Hello, 

I rarely ride in large groups and don't really care to use my phone while riding.  I drive 45 minute daily one way for work and take back roads.  It would be great to listen to talk radio or podcasts but I cannot seem to find reviews that focus on this function.  I understand many speakers don't work well at highway speeds but how about 60mph or 96 kph.

Thanks

• Offline Schindawg

• Trophy Pro  ‐    149

Offline Schindawg

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '17 Ruby Red TTSE
    • City / Town: NW Minnesota
    Re: Best Communication system for music
    Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2020, 01.54 pm
    Aug 18, 2020, 01.54 pm
    *Originally Posted by Ridefree [+]
    Hello, 

I rarely ride in large groups and don't really care to use my phone while riding.  I drive 45 minute daily one way for work and take back roads.  It would be great to listen to talk radio or podcasts but I cannot seem to find reviews that focus on this function.  I understand many speakers don't work well at highway speeds but how about 60mph or 96 kph.

Thanks

Here's my cheap solution.

https://www.amazon.com/MEE-audio-Memory-Headphones-Version/dp/B0038W0K2K

These headphones fit flush in your ears and act both as an audio source but also an earplug to engine noise. Sound quality is amazing for something so inexpensive. I've ridden 5+ hours at a time with no discomfort. Helmet slips right over. And, if you want to keep clutter/wires at a minimum, plug these earphones into a bluetooth receiver like this and you can listen to those podcasts from your phone or your bike's radio

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Receiver-Microphone-Streaming/dp/B082Y4SNFF

I use my phone as my GPS, mounted above my dash, and I don't have a headphone jack either. This system works very well for me and is incredibly cheap.
    PREVIOUS RIDES
    1972 Honda CB350
    1982 Suzuki GS450L
    1983 Suzuki GS650L
    1983 Honda GL650 Silverwing Interstate

• Offline TomAdis

• Trophy Member  ‐    29

Offline TomAdis

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Brighton, MI
    Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2020, 01.58 pm
    Aug 18, 2020, 01.58 pm
    I have a Sena 30k, which is probably overkill for you since you don't ride in groups.  But, the audio levels are good even at speed.  I have found different sources have better or worse volume levels.  For instance, when the source is my iPod it's the loudest.  On board radio is probably the lowest.

One nice thing about the Sena is the ability to use in ear headphones if the speakers are not loud enough.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4882

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2020, 02.01 pm
    Aug 18, 2020, 02.01 pm
    It really depends more on the helmet for audio as far as I'm concerned.  My Schuberth required less than my Shoei, that requires much less volume than my Scorpion AT950, and that required less than my old Nolan, which required less than an older HJC.  See where this is going?  Yes straight to $.  General consensus is that a Schuberth is the quietest of the bunch, and guess what, it's also one of the most expensive.  I had one and yes it was quiet, until an accident ended it's career.  Now headset wise, I think any of the major brands will serve you well for your purposes, UNLESS you have the same bluetooth issues with the Trophy that a few members have had and may still be having.  As a general rule, bluetooth headsets have come a long way in recent years, and there are still current models available that will communicate with 4 or more riders without all the mesh features that are designed for larger groups.  If you want volume control on the headset by the Trophy's handlebar controls your choices are very limited.  As far as I know the Cardo and possibly one other brand are the only options.  Others may have some better info on different headsets that will help.  I personally like my Sena 20S Evo, but the volume control has to be done on the headset itself.  Sorry if this long winded attempt at an explanation isn't much help, but it's about the extent of my knowledge and experience on the subject.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro  ‐    261

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: R1250RT
    • City / Town: Strathaven
    Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2020, 05.44 pm
    Aug 18, 2020, 05.44 pm
    I have been using a Scala G9 for a few years now, the main thing for me is control, if you cant stop or start music when on the move its a pain. I have saved my music to a sd card and put into my Garmin sat nav so now I can control the music on the screen. Also can use the phone to tell the wife Im going to be late again  :192:

The original speakers weren't very good so I cut the wires and fitted a jack socket, then used plugfones, they were good, basically earplugs with small speakers in them. Eventually got fed up with the faf of taking glasses off then helmet then plugfones so wires were cut again and I re-purposed a set of speakers from some headphones and hot glued them into the helmet (Shoei flip front). Now loud enough even with earplugs in.

• Offline Ridefree

• Trophy Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline Ridefree

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy
    • City / Town: BYRON CENTER, MI
    Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2020, 06.22 pm
    Aug 18, 2020, 06.22 pm
    Thanks eveyone, a lot of information to digest.  I tried to buy a couple pair of nice bluetooh earbuds but it would not connect.  Or I should state it connects and immediately disconnects.  Even my son's $200 Beats would not connect.  This is odd as my cheap $20 ones connect but do not work well enough to hear. 

I just purchased a HJC RPHA 11 helmwt and its slight quieter than my Scorpion EXO 1200 I just retired.

I am guessing the difference in technology advancements from 2013 could be part of the issue. 

I want to use the system radio but in the end may have to find another solution.

I appreciate the help.

• Offline TomAdis

• Trophy Member  ‐    29

Offline TomAdis

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Brighton, MI
    Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2020, 06.29 pm
    Aug 18, 2020, 06.29 pm
    *Originally Posted by Ridefree [+]
    Thanks eveyone, a lot of information to digest.  I tried to buy a couple pair of nice bluetooh earbuds but it would not connect. 

I'm not a fan of BT earbuds since the battery life can be limited.  I can overcome battery life with my Sena by carrying a battery pack.

One thing you should look at is reducing helmet noise.  Make sure anything that seals can be sealed tightly.  A lot of noise is generated coming up through the bottom of the helmet.  Neck gaiters or something like that will give you a quieter helmet and make your audio better.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4882

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2020, 03.44 am
    Aug 19, 2020, 03.44 am
    Sena's from SMH10 up to and including the 20S Evo can be charged while using, so a powerbank in the jacket pocket plugged into the charge port on one will keep the battery from going dead on a long days ride.  They don't list that as one of the features of the newer than 20S models.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies