Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Advice on new gear  (Read 10616 times)

Offline monkeycabbage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy 900
  • City / Town: Gillingham
Advice on new gear
« on: August 30, 2013, 02:55:14 PM »
So... Last weekend, Kent suffered from a massive rain storm as I was dropping the bike into the garage for a few more problems to be resolved.  :233:

Ironically, this is exactly how you find out that your gear leaks.. A LOT!  :151:

In short, I'm looking for recommendations. I'm looking for new bike gear that is reliable, long lasting, waterproofing that lasts - especially as I ride daily - what ever the weather!... but also on a bit of a budget.

I've used Cordura/textile for the last few years, but am not adverse to leathers.

Can anyone recommend anything?  :440:
...on an old 900  :164:

Paranoia is a survival mechanism!

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: Advice on new gear
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 03:32:23 PM »
I find Halvarsson (lindstrand is another of their names) gear to be good especially for the price.  I have had a jacket for 5 years now and it is still going strong.  I did have a problem with the first one I bought a zip went but they replaced it free of charge (after a year of use). 

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 04:07:03 PM »
I use Furygan.

'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 04:20:24 PM »
I have have used a IXON jacket for a number of years and Held trousers. That was on Open bikes and has always been reliable. Now on the Trophy very dry and warm.

seadog
seadog

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 05:10:03 PM »
MC

Save up and get the best you can afford  :028: :028: Most garments that have Gortex or similar type of membrane are the best but will cost  :087:.
My Harley Davison FXRG is 5 years old now and so long as you wash it annually to keep the membrane clear its 100% waterproof.
Down side is that it was £450.00 when new  :087: But you get what you pay for  :062: :062:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 06:25:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by john348 [+]
I find Halvarsson (lindstrand is another of their names) gear to be good especially for the price.  I have had a jacket for 5 years now and it is still going strong.  I did have a problem with the first one I bought a zip went but they replaced it free of charge (after a year of use).

I am with John! For all weather gear the Halvarsson kit is great. Mine has removable goretex liners so it will keep you dry and you can breathe. Also the suit is absolutely covered in vents to allow airflow when it does get warm.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Roger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 07:05:27 PM »
Hi MC

We have some Hein Gerrike gear which we find quite good, priced well and has good warranty, and there is a decent size shop in Maidstone near the prison, worth a look

Roger

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 04:24:43 AM »
Look at this post. I doubt it is still for sale but if you can lay your hands on a Triumph one piece you will not find any better.  I have had mine for nearly 11 years and it is still as waterproof as the day I got it.  I have ridden in monsoon type weather and stayed dry.  I have ridden day after day for several days in a row without getting wet.  Just hung it up in the hotel and  night and suited up the next morning for another day of British Columbia and Alaska rain' 
http://www.triumphrat.net/for-sale-wanted-gear/248369-wtb-rain-gear.html
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST